Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Apparently the authorities know who the perpetrators of the various arson attacks are. According to state news today, they have identified a centralised group that organises these arson attacks but that locally on the ground, the actual attacks are by disgruntled and concerned local people..

It doesn't really add up, does it????

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Mass immigration didn't work out to well for the Palestinians. To Hell ..or Gaza!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭enricoh

Keyser sose off the usual suspects bull.

I guess a far right bogeyman will help keep the farce going for another month or 2 tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The amount of dissatisfaction in the country now is very high, it's very unusual for people to be this pi55ed when the economy is going well. God knows what things would be like if it turned fast.

Immigration is just one strand, but there is a huge failure on it from the Government. Closing hotels to make them into accommodation centres, huge overconcentration in certain areas, and this is at a time when there is a housing crisis. No one with an ounce of sense could say that closing Racket Hall as a hotel is anything but bad news for Roscrea, a town with plenty of problems to start with.

I've thought for a long time we would end up moving to the right, working people are just pi55ed with the indulgence of people who don't do anything. But the situation with immigration is going to accelerate things, dramatically. And it could lead to the rise of a Farage type figure.

The reaction to the Dublin riots is worrying, average people are actually more sympathetic to the rioters ideals now than they were before the riots. I've heard seemingly respectable say that burning down the place in Galway was the right thing to do.

The politicians are actually making things worse with their calls for acceptance. It's not that they shouldn't call for tolerance and especially non-violence, but while they're doing that they need to say they understand immigration is too high and that they'll work to reduce it.

I was watching a BBC discussion on the Rwanda policy last night. I don't like to say it, but they're way ahead of us politically. While there is criticism of the policy there seems to be a lot of acceptance that their immigration system is broken and some deterrents need to be put in place.

I would say the Brits have been discussing the issue for very close to ten years at this stage. Here our politicians and media waited until people started rioting and burning things down to even acknowledge there is an issue. Even now the discussion very often turns towards criticism of people with differing views while at the same time acknowledging 'understandable concern'. Our Taoiseach has even tried to spread his own brand of misinformation and when he's exposed his colleagues still criticise other people's misinformation.

So I guess we're bollicksed. Weak leadership, a weak media after 15 years of cuts. There's little hope.

We can't hope to integrate the large numbers of non nationals. They are not going to become 'more Irish than the Irish themselves'. So I expect we'll see communities where these nationalities and cultures gather together and establish their own ways and means of doing things. And that's about it, farewell to the Ireland many of us grew up in. And as far as some posters here go, they'll say good riddance, shame on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Depressing listening to the Pat Kenny show now, panel is packed with pro refugees accommodation being provided. First speaker ( Philip someone) giving out to the Roscrea people as having a sense of entitlement for wanting a local hotel for functions.

SF Louise saying the Roscrea protest only made up a small percentage of the local population.

The only text Pat read out during the discussion was from someone referencing the amount of undocumented Irish in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Some good points made. I agree that the government have screwed up badly and have left themselves in a situation where they seem determined to to "brazen it out". I sense a growing irritation with their ill concieved and transparent attempts to control the narrative through the MSM.

As you say, it would be better to acknowledge that they have made mistakes, accept that there is growing dissatisfaction on the ground and state their intention to correct some of the errors. Whether or not they are capable of actually fixing things in another question but at least by holding their hands up they would, probably, diminish the growing perception that they are aloof, arrogant and unwilling to recognise and address the current concerns.

With regard to the UKs Rwanda project......it seems, and probably is, a bizarre, Heath Robinson approach. But if they can get it off the ground, the prospect of a prolonged stay in a holding centre in the heart of Africa may dissuade those who would otherwise be enthusiastic about a channel crossing in a small boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder if SF is losing any support now with their non stance or support stance for this policy?

Given that they were odds on to at least be a part of the next Government since they were predicted to sweep the boards with their overwhelming support, I wonder if that has or will change now?

In any event all of the major parties are three sides of the same coin.

I'm not up to date on the polls, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KloppOn

I would imagine if the Rwanda planes ever take off, we will see a further huge spike in asylum seekers in Ireland. Some will head directly for Ireland from Europe and some already in the UK will head here also. Already it seems clear that the large majority of asylum seekers are entering from Northern Ireland. I do wonder how many asylum seekers will have to be sleeping rough before the government accepts that the current arrangements are unsustainable. I think there will be many unionists in Northern Ireland who will have a wry chuckle if they see the guards and army trying to control border crossings from Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Firstly, I'm still quite sceptical about the whole Rwanda project. The intention seems to be to make channel crossing illegal entry much less attractive. If an illegal landing on the South coast of England results in a year or two in a holding centre in Rwanda, rather than a cushy billet in Sussex, then is the long trek from Somalia or Afghanistan, followed by an expensive and dangerous sea crossing in a glorified canoe worth the risk?

So, if it works as planned, it may deter many from setting off in the first place. And if the number of Asylum seekers arriving in Britain is thereby reduced, then, logically, those attempting to get into Ireland through the North should, logically, also be fewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What's the difference between misinformation and disinformation?

Cliche terms used by politicians and the media that no one in the real world uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I was listening to that and the first speaker just couldn't wait to lay into the people of Roscrea, it was almost as if he was chomping at the bit to let fly and of course Pat Kenny let him off. As well as giving out about the people of Roscrea for their sense of "entitlement" he also had a go at them saying that if the hotel was being used for all these communions, weddings and 30ths or whatever then why did it need to close it's doors to become a refugee centre if it was a going concern. At least Pat Kenny came back on that point and said maybe it became a refugee centre because of the money being thrown at the owners from the government. They then went on to say that maybe some of the refugees in the hotel will work in the hotel helping others. It was the biggest of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Ahwell

SF Louise was correct then. The population of Roscrea is 5,542. So, “the Roscrea protest only made up a small percentage of the local population”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Glebee

It was greed that closed the hotel in Roscrea, pure and simple. Easy money to be made from the refugees. Its the same all over the country. Series money being made from refugees by a select few in Ireland. I know one person that houses refugees and then started a recruitment agency so has them working. Hes making money twice on them twice over...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Soft stupid Ireland brings them in, while Egypt next door builds a heavily fortified wall to keep them out. Makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

is there much difference between the organised crime people traffickers and the refugee industry profiteers in Ireland? I’ll let you decide.

edit: I should have pointed out that the profiteers in this country are not involved in any criminal activity, tasteless business as it is it is all above board.

Post edited by Elmer Blooker on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Glebee

Nail on the head, it's an industry at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭batman_oh

If we start taking refugees from there we are really screwed. There's a reason nobody around there wants to let them in any more. Best not mention any facts though, they never go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Pat got a 'talking down' from the Radio review section of the Irish Times today about his non-sympathetic coverage (i.e. all migration good, everyone else bad) of the migration issue.

Might have upset him and he's swerved back into the NGO/Govt lane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Think some of the people over the hotel in roscrea also involved in hotel in Youghal that is being used for asylum seekers/ Ukrainians.

• Advertisement

I think misinformation is what you can read here and on other social media sites?

Disinformation is what comes from the state.

It didn't work out very well for the countries Palestinians sought shelter in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Seems the government wants to waste more when they've could've used their opt-out.

The EU has never forced Ireland to take in refugees or immigrants.

In fact, Ireland has no obligation to take in refugees as, along with Denmark, it has an opt-in or opt-out clause on justice and immigration measures under the Lisbon Treaty.

However, Ireland voluntarily agreed to fully participate in the EU relocation and resettlement schemes set up in response to the migrant crisis that peaked in 2015.

https://ireland.representation.ec.europa.eu/news-and-events/news/ireland-voluntarily-agrees-take-part-eu-schemes-resettle-refugees-2021-02-28_en

EDIT: Removed duplicate link.

Post edited by Scipri0 on

This won't have any impact though on the asylum seekers arriving in Ireland themselves. It only concerns the resettlement of asylum seekers from frontier countries like Italy or Greece. So no impact on what we are currently seeing.

I don't think so, though. The burden needs to be taken off Italy and Greece, but they'll be shipped around to other EU states and i feel Ireland will have "Obligations" as they always say and i think this opt-out clause will apply here as well. I find the government parties pretty slippery when it comes to giving out the full details. Like you'have hardly anyone in government or media bringing up this Opt-Out clause, which we got due to our vote on the re-run of the Lisbon Treaty. It even states

The EU has never forced Ireland to take in refugees or immigrants.

In fact, Ireland has no obligation to take in refugees as, along with Denmark, it has an opt-in or opt-out clause on justice and immigration measures under the Lisbon Treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Our obligations don't come from the EU. They are from international treaties, signed into domestic legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It is more than four years since people in Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, mounted protests in opposition to plans to move asylum seekers into the town.

No negatives to report, apart from the playground could be bigger!

Plenty of Ukrainians moved in the last 18 months or so also, no negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I'm confused at what you're getting at here. Varadkar is referring to the new EU Migration and Asylum Pact under which countries can exercise the option to either accommodate refugees or make financial contributions towards work being undertaken in front line EU member states to handle border security and to assist with putting in place better processing procedures and systems in those countries. If Ireland commits to a financial contribution rather than accommodation then what's the complaint here?

I know that, but the government and those around them love to mix them up, whether that's intentional or not is another matter. Genuine people should be help and i'm okay with people from Ukraine getting the help it needs, but we do need to clamp down on people who are trying to take advantage. When it comes to EU migration, Ireland should use its spine and stand up straight. Even one of the EU's poster boys, Donald Tusk recently elected to be the Polish leader, refused to take in migrants. Hardly a word from the EU. We don't need to be yes men all the time, is what i'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Not to get into a discussion on abortion but the 8th Amendment took 35 years to repeal. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the power of protesting. I'd credit older conservative voters dying off and high profile cases embarrassing the government both nationally and internationally as being the main driver for change.

Watercharges were beaten by large scale non-payment, yes there were large protests, but I don't think they'd have got the same results with protesting alone.

There have been plenty of protests outside the gates of Dáil Éireann that have achieved very little.

The most the protesters would probably have got was a "more communication is needed" sound bite or at a push a meeting with the Minister.

Also IMO local protests outside Dublin seem to be taken more seriously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement