Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lack of transparency re District Court proceedings

• 19-01-2024 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Looked on Courts.ie, no listing

Called the Court Office and was told there was no formal listing of cases or judgements.

If I wanted to find out about a case in which I have an interest, I have to attend court

at the start of each day it sits.

Anyone know why checking such info is so diffcult or if there are easy ways to obtain that info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The District Court is all about volume and throughput. Listing cases and putting the details online would take time and resources which are not available. And would cost a packet. Your inconvenience is regrettable but there is very little demand for what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

the inputting is already done. The courts service hasn't developed an online application to use the date in their system and make some of it publicly available. There is a system for the High Court but not for the other courts. Even then the High Court system does not say what happened on each occasion the matter was listed unless a written judgement is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 leitrimjohn

Cheers, everyone. Absurdly convuluted system IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 11 isinht

Can you ring the clerk and ask him or her?

I would love to see a criminal court of justice proceedings having gone for jury service I gained an interest. DC cases can be attended by the public but CC and CCJ and SPC and held behind closed doors. Only defendants witnesses and plaintiffs may be there and prosecutors and barristers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All courts are open to the public apart from juvenile courts, rape cases and certain other sensitive cases that are held in camera. Nothing stopping you wandering in for a look.

• Advertisement

Asked a friend who works for the local paper for help. He just told me that the case will come up in a special sitting of District Court late next week. He remarked that it's very unusual for planning enforcement cases like this to merit a special sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Unless it's all currently paper based then I don't see what the big deal would be with having it available online.

Defendants were found guilty and are now appealing which means they will be going to Circuit Court.

Anyone know if circuit court listings are available on line before the court sits?

Try and get information out of the court office and you'd think we were living in Pyongyang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The obligations on the courts are that they should apply the law, be public (specific reasons aside), and be fair and largely consistent.

There is no obligation to be transparent to third parties. In fact third parties have relatively few rights at all. The parties to a case are notified of the dates and places that involved their cases.

• Advertisement

Justice has to be administered in public, under the Constitution.
    Not only must Justice be done Justice must not only be done, but must also be seen to be done”. This dictum was laid down by Lord Hewart, the then Lord Chief Justice of England in the case of Rex v. Sussex Justices, [1924] 1 KB 256

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks everyone for your advice

Advertisement