Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's probably quite a few in England. There's been massive emigration to Britain over the years. There's a ton of Irish Americans too! Unfortunately, they don't play rugby! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Do you know what is hilarious? I've been going through every single Australian, South African, New Zealand and Pacific Island teams to look for potential IQ players and I never even thought about the UK haha smh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

not sure I’d be too keen on a IQ tight head, reasonable chance of them going off with Ireland. Give me a grizzled veteran from elsewhere for a short term year or two contract any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It was on a podcast years ago the IRFU had set up a team to review. Around the time Addison/Haley/Burns etc all moved from England to Ireland.

Jackman was going on about Nienaber in SA and they ran a spreadsheet of every qualified Bok in the World, players in Russia etc

Somehow I expect the IRFU have similar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Forde has missed the last couple of weeks with a shoulder knock and a HIA a couple of weeks before that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Was Arundell eligible for Ireland before declaring for England? Remember around 20’s talk he could declare for a few places.

With project players taking 5 years but nation switches only taking 3 years the likes of Arundell (if eligible) or Farrell (if he’s eligible and gone to racing) would make loads of sense.

Arundell is Wales and Scotland qualified but not Ireland. Farrell playing for Ireland would be hilarious. He would be 35 and probably out of England contention anyway but it would be funny to see the mayhem.

After doing a really quick search there are 4 players straight away that are Irish qualified.

Piers O'Conor - Utility back for Bristol Bears

Dan Kelly 1 cap for England - Centre - Centre Leicester Tigers. Irish qualified this year. Previously with Ireland U20s

Brett Connon - fly half - Newcastle Falcons - Irish father - Played for U20's

Raffi Quirke - Scrum Half - Sale Sharks - 2 Cap for England but Irish qualified in November. Contract until 2025 with Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

While it is a good talking point about IQ players they would still need to be playing for a province. I can't see the IRFU parachuting a playing playing abroad who is IQ into the Irish team.

Also - Freddie Burns is IQ as of today and I think Munster could do a lot worse than sign him. A reliable pro with great experience.

He's in a great spot where he wouldn't take up a NIQ spot so keep the IRFU happy but wont actually be in a realistic position for international rugby so would be available to play (if fit)

I also think the money players are on in Japan is overstated at times. I think he'd be cheaper than Carbery

Freddie Burns is an ideal person to take over from Joey Carbery. I just wouldn't mind the IRFU stealing some players away from England!

The more digging I do, the more likely it is that Leinster will nearly certainly use a NIQ on a tighthead prop unless Aungier or Moore make the switch back which more than likely won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine there are plenty of IQ players knocking around England. Even in terms of guys that played for us at underage but then concentrated on England, there's George McGuigan and Kieran Brookes. Both too old to invest in at this point.

Callum Sheedy is IQ again in 12 months (but has dubious history online of republican comments to make him palatable to Irish rugby).

There's usually a significant gap though in terms of guys who are good enough to actually be given a contract.

Scottish rugby has been brilliant at identifying guys in England and recruiting them to their national team although it's a far more fluid situation for them. Some of their biggest success stories in recent years are English. Guys capped in the last year (or in their 6N squad) that are actually English born:

Chris Harris, Hamish Watson, Sam Skinner, Josh Bayliss, Ali Price, Ben White, Adam Hastings, Rory Hutchinson, Cameron Redpath, Aaron Reed, Ewan Ashman, Johnny Matthews, Alec Hepburn, Will Hurd, Andy Christie,

• Advertisement

I'd say there are alot of them out there but England seem to throw a cap to any prospect who has potential just to block them for playing for Ireland, Wales or Scotland.

Tom Clarkson has definitely taken a step in the right direction but I am still worried about the tighthead position. Furlong looked good in his return but I really am worried bout the depth chart next season.

I'm wracking my brain to who would be a good replacement for Ala'alatoa and find myself coming back to the same names who are in their mid thirties and haven't much left in the tank.

If Leinster want to continue with Porter on the other side of the scrum, they will need to bring in a monster scrum technican on the other side to cause trouble for opposing teams.

It has been way easier to find a loosehead to replace Porter if Porter moved back to tighthead but Leinster wouldn't do that at the expense of the Ireland squad.

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be fair - Scotland have almost completely abandoned the idea of developing homegrown players as evidenced by how awful they have been at underage in the last 5-6 years.

Their entire focus has been on finding overseas players with Scottish heritage - They've done pretty well with it as you point out , just not sure how sustainable it is for the game in Scotland to do this long-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Anyone travelling to Leicester tomorrow also in the Breedon Stand Terrace? Hoping there will be a decent Leinster contingent in there.

I would imagine we'll be leaning on Nienaber for the tighthead replacement. He should have plenty of contacts within the game in SA to reach out to for such a move. Might not be someone that is on our radar at all. The IRFU may even stipulate that they want the signing to be a guy who is in his early twenties that has the potential to be IQ after 5 years although I see that as less likely right now given we're relatively well covered around the provinces in terms of age profile on tightheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Raffi Quirke looked good against Leinster for Sale. Tidy player and based on age profile of 9's at the moment (park/murray) could do worse than getting him back and involved.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

With the 5 year requirement, I can't see anyone coming over other than maybe bringing an overseas player into the academy set-up.

Bringing over a 21/22 year old hoping that they might work out as a 26/27 year old isn't a great investment.

But giving a guy 3/4 years in the Academy on academy money to see if they come good probably isn't a bad plan , but the apparent failure of Knox in Munster might give them pause.

Leinster have to be extremely tactical about the player to replace Ala'alatoa. That player needs to be ok with coming off the bench but also has to have the necessary quality to start a large volume of games if Furlong is out or on International duty. They need to fit into Nienaber's philosophy and be an excellent scrummager and ideally would be technically sound with ball in hand. They also need to be at an age profile where long term they aren't holding up the young Irish born Leinster prospects at the position. That sort of quality will cost a pretty penny and very few are out of contract this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah damn !!!! 🤣

one reserve out (molony over Jenkins)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I'll eat my hat if its not a SA TH.

Hopefully Erasmus doesn't completely take the piss with this.

Vital signing because of the wear and tear of Furlong.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leicester Team out

advantage leinster very much from the bench. Leicester as always, have a very formidable pack, but really missing George Martin there (for what he can produce 😜 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Apart from Harry at 10 that’s a XV that could plausibly start a six nations match in the next few months.

even at that an injury at 10 could see it being the full XV

I assume Martin is injured? Seems a big enough loss for them.

Leinster should have enough but 10 changes for Leicester from last week puts in context the different challenge that this should present. They'll be a far more challenging side than they were to La Rochelle.

Will take any sort of win but not sure a BP win would be in the mix here.

Sale vs LAR could be the game of the round. No Danty available but they've stuck to their game plan no matter what....big bruising 12 needed so they've moved Tanga there which is completely out of the blue. Crash ball ahoy.

Yes, injured in the last week. Going to be gone for a few weeks.

Yep! Leinster should win easing up.

Fingers crossed HarryB can play a full 80. Probably see JoeMcC go another full 80.

I've no idea how this competition works anymore but it looks like Leinster v Glasgow in KO's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fingers crossed HarryB can play a full 80

Why? I hope he doesn't get injured but I want to see Prendergast come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think this'll be a tough game. I'd expect Pollard to really test our rush defence with chip kicks and cross field diagonals. He's a quality 10 and any mistake in defensive alignment will be punished.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I want to see Harry play the full 80! He and Ireland need it going into Ireland camp.

Hopefully Prendergast can start the next URC....When is Ross back?

Advertisement