Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Anyone any suggestions at all on

Home chargers and installers?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Get a few quotes, prices may fluctuate depending on where you are in the country. I used carcharger.ie and installed a Zappi with the 5m tethered cable, but you'll get 10 opinions here on why you should install one of these and 10 opinions on why you shouldn't!

Some find the Zappi to be too big though, particularly if it's going to be at the front of your house. In that case you might be better off with an untethered smaller unit like an Ohme Epod or an Ohme Mini Pro 2

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't really understand the difference between tethered and untethered?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Here's an example of the Zappi unit, where the one on the left is tethered - it comes complete with the charging cable and wraps around the unit when not in use. The one on the right is untethered where you would have to use the charging cable that comes with your car to plug into it each time you want to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Do we have any zappi experts here? The uncle got one installed and having a few problems with it, I had a look today but my first time ever using one so learning myself

The unit is set to default at fast, so you'd be expecting 7kw or so. However, at bottom of screen it says eco and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to display fast, any ideas? It's only been charging at 1.4 kw or so for him.

Secondly, I found how to put it in boost, and it ramped up to almost 7kw but after a short while it would cut off and some message about bad voltage.

Any ideas how to get this charger working straightforward at proper speed? His daughter has one and that just defaults to fast no problem.

The one thing I can think of is different is he has solar and his daughter doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭allinthehead

When was it installed? If recently then contact the installer.

It sounds like the voltage is dropping at the chargepoint. It works fine at low power but when the rate increases the voltage drops and the Zappi doesn't like it.

One off house? Could be an Esbn issue.

Go in to menu, readings, press down arrow and voltage is displayed. Gives the max and min too.

This is why I always run 10mm2 to Ev charge points.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Really? I thought you didn't install them anymore, they interfered with getting your breakfast roll or something 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Hard to get a good breakfast roll these days.

I should've typed ran. I'm not an electrical contractor anymore.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks, in search of some advice. I’m likely to be getting a 2019 Hyundai Kona EV, so need advice on a home EV charger. I intend to get solar PV panels installed later this year, so I would need the EV charger to be compatible with most solar PV inverters. Also, we are a two car house, and I expect the time will come in within the next 5 years where the main car will end up being a more modern EV than the 2019 Hyundai Kona - hence I would want the home EV charger to be future proofed for new EVs on the market now and near future. I live in a typical semi d with a driveway, where there will be no issue installing the home EV charger on the side wall of the house which backs on to the fuse board. It would be nice (but not critical) if I could also control and monitor the EV charger via my smartphone. All advice on the home EV charger that best suits my needs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

nonsense, You won’t really. It’s a 20 second job. I spend more time and get wetter taking the baby out of the rear seat that it takes to plug the car in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

When the charger grant is approved do you get an email or does the money just appear in your account? Sent the docs in mid December.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I seen someone comment it’s around a month after installation of the charger you get the grant.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

My parents got the Autel charger installed last year (via Smartzone), the installer said the main incoming cable to the DB will need to be upgraded to carry the current of the EV and house. The installer took all boxes, manuals, etc with him and said when the work is done on the cable upgrade to ring Smartzone to finish the install. While that work was being done Smartzone has gone bust and the parent's EV charger is useless because they don't have the pin code (it was in the manual).

What can the parent do to get the pin code and get the charger working or is it a case to get a new charger from another company and take the hit?

Thanks, B

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭crl84

Just appears in your account, about 4 weeks later as per above.

If you have received grant approval, installed the charger and had your electrician fill in the forms online, along with the documents / photos that you had to submit, you should then receive an email from the SEAI stating:

"Dear Mr CivilEx

SEAI has now received all documentation required to begin processing your grant payment request. If you did not submit this information please let us know by contacting us as soon as possible, if we don’t hear from you we will proceed with the application.

Please allow for up to 6 to 8 weeks for your payment to be received.

If you have any queries email us at EVChargers@seai.ie or call us on 01-8082100."

The grant monies arrived in my bank account about 5 weeks after receiving that email.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭crl84

Contact the manufacturer and explain the situation. They'll probably need the serial number so you might have to take the cover off if it's not somewhere on the outside, just make sure your have it powered off at switch and board if doing that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It can be hit and miss. In half of mine, I got an email. The other half, money just appeared. Allow about 6-8 weeks.

Also, don’t forget you have the Xmas break in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You get paid 21c/kwh you export. You buy night rate/ boost for about 1/2 that. Don’t bother charging of solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m having Eo mini pro installed in fathers house in Cork by Fokearn, they have a good deal at the moment and seem on the ball.

When initially applying for the SEAI grant for home EV chargers, it appears you need to specify the charger you are getting installed - is this correct? Could you change the make/model later in the process?

Do you need to specify the chosen contractor when making the initial application?

I have been told by one contractor that the SEAI application needs to be approved before the installation can take place - is that correct, and how long does it take for SEAI to approve your application?

Finally I presume that you need to pay the contractor in full and then wait for SEAI to pay back the €300 grant at a later date?

Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You don’t need to specify contractor.

You can choose any charger from the approved list after grant has been approved.

You must have received approval before the charger is fitted, only takes a few days.

You pay installer, they fit charger, they fill out form which seai email to you with your approval, you get paid grant into your bank account a couple of weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was going to go with the Ohme Home Pro, don't currently have solar but will at some point soon. I know it currently doesn't support it. But is there any reason not to go with over zappi. With zappi users seeming reporting alot of issues with the V2 models.... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Tethered makes the most sense, as the cable is already attached. You will want a charger with a type 2 plug for the newer Leaf (and almost all other EVs). I use and recommend the Hypervolt. Discreet, robust, reliable and with good customer care. I see lots of issues with Zappi posted on here and they look like a toilet seat on the wall imo. Zappi is popular because it is easy to integrate with solar and other zappi (myEnergy) products.

You can buy your own charger and still avail of the now €300 grant. Expect quotes to be around €1000 if supplying your own charger and €1400 if getting it supplied. Prices will vary.

Stay Free

Is it fair to say there isn't a lot fluctuation in the costs of home EV chargers? The reason I ask is because I have received the exact same quote of €1400 to supply and install a Zappi tethered charger from three different companies. I have sent messages to the first 5 or 6 companies which appeared on my google search - these are presumably the larger companies that are paying to appear top of the search lists. I wonder are there smaller companies that might provide more competitive quotes?

That including grant ? 600. Which would bring to 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That's my experience. They all mostly rip you off by the same amount.

Around 800 quid isn't bad for a couple of hours work. Unfortunately, they have you by the short and curlies, so you just need to bite the bullet unless you know an electrician who will install it for you.

Stay Free

quote excludes the grant which is now only €300 from the start of this month only, so real cost would be €1100

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

anyone see less power output from their chargers this week with the cold? my zappi was a bit odd the other night - it was scheduled to charge the car for three hours but only put 9.3kwh into it.. it was above 805% when started charge.. just curious if the cold somehow limited it.. the house load wasnt any higher than normal (hour battery, dishwasher, washing machine, eddi)

Ah. I applied before cutoff. For me I think install for 800 is fair enough as they supply unit all the bits and labour. If I was to buy the stuff and source sparks probably would be Still around 500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No, I've had to charge the car 3 times this week it was receiving the 7.3Kw and it was -3-4°. I schedule to start at 11pm when the house load is low, I've an Eo mini pro2 CP

Advertisement