Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Absolutely delighted for POM, and think it was the right decision. Suspect it'll be for the remainder of this season, and probably 1 after, with Ryan likely to take it on from there. (But think Doris could be an outside candidate at that stage).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah now, he is not going to be captaining the Lions

Why are private backers prepared to make cash available for Springbok signings but not for legendary homegrown players?

I think it's premature to come to that conclusion when nothing has been announced yet, and is still open to negotiation. (Presumably part of the reason they are multi-million backers is because they are good negotiators).

And it would be more beneficial, from their point of view, to have him on an Central Contract i.e. why foot the bill if it's possible someone may do so.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

congratulations to Peter O'Mahony on his appointment as Ireland Rugby captain . well deserved for a special player and a legend of Irish rugby.

the ireland thread is in meltdown which would please Peter no end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Ryan has hardly covered himself in glory captaining Leisnter with a few refs declining to speak to him and only talking to Ringrose. I dont know how much longer Ryan is a guarnteed starter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I suspect a lot of the delay here is Munster hoping that the IRFU continue to pick up the tab and the IRFU are hoping that Munster take it on, so it's a bit of brinksmanship by both side.

I highly doubt the IRFU or Munster want to lose O'Mahony but I also don't think that Munster really want to take on his wage bill unless they really have to so they will play this out as long as they think they can.

The wrinkle is that both the Munster offer and whatever potential Central offer might be put on the table will be less than the current contract - That's just the nature of Pro-Sport.

If French team were to swoop in with a big money offer , that brinksmanship might come back to bite them as POM might be tempted (and that's totally understandable).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Why should Munster have to carry the payload for the Irish Captain, surely, the IRFU should be picking up that bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I thought it would be a one year irfu deal and that’s looking good now.

I feel like you almost have to extend the captain. Just getting named captain gives him decent leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I don't know the exact detail of the negotiations, but I'd imagine it's something like this:

O'Mahony asking for a Central Contract extension for 2 more years.

O'Mahony points to former Irish players and captains who have been awarded similar deals well beyond their prime, and he sees himself as in a similar bracket, especially now that he is the captain for this Six Nations, and the idea that the IRFU would turn around and try to short-change the Munster budget would be egregious to him, so he gives them an ultimatum, Central Contract for 2 more years or he retires, simple as that. Thus being able to push the problem onto Munster would be taken off the table as an option for the IRFU.

Now if the IRFU think they will only get the use out of him for the next 12 months, they probably don't want to agree to that as they probably feel they could be caught paying for him for an extra year and a half more than they need him. They have probably already agreed to a 1-year extension but O'Mahony may be holding out for more.

Brinksmanship indeed, but that's obviously only speculation. I am only guessing!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Leeinnnnnnster

I agree. The IRFU should have POM on a CC. And the Thomond Park repayments need to be reset to markets rates than a nominal fee per year.

• Advertisement

I see the re-reg trolls are busy tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Leeinnnnnnster

Clear breach of the charter on accusing people of being re-regs, Alooof, I’ve the utmost confidence that you’ll be addressing such abuse of the rules!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MOD:

@mun1 Do not accuse someone of being a troll or a re-reg. If you've a problem with a poster, report them.

@Leeinnnnnnster Watch your posting style. Your posts are very close to trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Irish Captain won’t be on pittance. Munster playing hardball with the IRFU

Can Munster offer a contract to POM while he's still in negotiations with the IRFU? I wouldn't think so, that way one could be out bidding the other

Nah, id say he’s holding out for a 2 year deal and IRFU are only offering 1 year. Captaincy at least gives him leverage in the negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No idea. That's something for AF to worry about over a year from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

• Advertisement

Jager in for Ryan (who drops to the bench) is the only change from last week.

Munster: Simon Zebo; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Alex Nankivell, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Craig Casey; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Oli Jager; Tom Ahern, Tadhg Beirne (C); Peter O’Mahony, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Eoghan Clarke, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Brian Gleeson, Alex Kendellen, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Seán O’Brien.

It's also mentioned in there that Clarke has signed up until the end of the season.

Casey now de facto starting 9, it seems, after it seemed like a form pick between them last season. I think there's a chance he could take the back-up Ireland spot for the 6 Nations too.

Again, as strong a team as we could field.

Any win tomorrow keeps us in 3rd place.

A BP win for us and with Exeter getting nothing in France might see us claim the 2nd place, they play on Sunday so will know what they need to keep ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hank the DJ

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS

15 George Furbank (c)

14 Tommy Freeman

13 Fraser Dingwall

12 Rory Hutchinson

11 Ollie Sleightholme

10 Fin Smith

9 Alex Mitchell

1 Alex Waller

2 Curtis Langdon

3 Trevor Davison

4 Temo Mayanavanua

5 Alex Coles

6 Courtney Lawes

7 Tom Pearson

8 Juarno Augustus

Replacements:

16 Robbie Smith

17 Emmanuel Iyogun

18 Elliot Millar Mills

19 Alex Moon

20 Sam Graham

21 Tom James

22 Burger Odendaal

23 Charlie Savala

Decent Saints team as well with only 1 change from last week.

Should be a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jager into Irish camp and now seemingly first choice tight head for Munster.

Hard to imagine the initial period of his move here going any better for him, tbh (recent injury aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

As strong a team as available. Is R. Quinn injured? He seems to have dropped off the radar this year.

Munster v Crusaders will be broadcast live on TG4 and is also available to stream worldwide (bar NZ, who probably have a broadcaster involved too)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Well done TG4. Obviously the RTE coffers wont stretch to it or it might clash with a repeat of something

• Advertisement

It clashes with Wales v Scotland in the 6N. Which RTE are showing.

Advertisement