Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager revisited - this time it’s Neelixy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Since the Ent-D was the flagship, I guess they could have been more invested in keeping her in best possible condition. Statfleet did seem to keep her for their more important assignments. Voyager however did seem more like a fleet workhorse, not unlike an Excelsior or Miranda. I think even if she was in the Alpha Quadrant, she’d only get repaired when needed.

I suspect the only reason Admiral Ross’ transport to Romulus in DS9 was an Intrepid Class was so they could re-use Voyager footage and sets (as well as the novelty of seeing an Intrepid that’s not Voyager), otherwise he’d likely have travelled on a Galaxy Class, or maybe even on the Enterprise-E herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah most likely that's the real reason. Would the in-universe reason be the speed of the Bellerophon (Intrepid class), should she need to get the hell out of Romulan space in a hurry?

Yea, that does make some sense. I think at one stage early in Voyager she was described being for “Long-range Tactical Missions”. A diplomatic transport into the Romulan Empire during a war does kind of fit that bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Almost like she was designed for a long range mission in the Delta quadrant.

(Wolf 359 was an inside job)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

Alright Seven don't get your duraniam foil hat twisted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭McFly85

It makes sense that a starship would need to dock regularly at a starbase, especially after a battle or encounter with strange phenomena. And the Enterprise D wasn’t exploring the unknown, but acting as a flagship for the fleet - so it would never be too far away from one.

Allow engineers to check and repair the ship, senior management to debrief starfleet in person and give the crew some shore leave.

Obviously Voyager couldn’t do that so I wouldn’t expect them to explode because there’s no starbases about, but the fact they were able to keep the ship running at pretty much full power, while keeping the ship pristine and fully stocked with weaponry, while also developing state of the art facilities and shuttlecraft is a hell of a job for 140 people.

There have been other long duration missions with little to no support so it'snot completely unheard of, but they were all intentional, and we did see them stop once or twice to do rebuilds so we could infer they happened more regularly offscreen too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

S5 E1: Captain Proton. Jesus

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The end of the last series they’d almost run out of power and has to go hunting for Duterium. You’d think they’d shut off the holodeck

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yep, another eye roller holodeck theme. Voyager gave us Captain Proton/Queen of Aracnia AND Fair Haven....

• Advertisement

There was some nonsense in "Picard" about the holodeck having a magical independent power source which supposedly couldn't be used to power other systems even in a life or death emergency. (Despite practically 50% of Trek episodes involving the crew coming up with crazy technobabble workarounds for problems). I guess they got that inspiration from Voyager with the holodecks running round the clock when with replicator rationing in place.

I seem to remember an episode where a power loss plunged Voyager into darkness, including inside the *still running* holodeck program playing a Cpt. Proton story. It's almost like that damned thing was where all rules went to die.

At least Picard gave us a sort of retro-active cannon explination for this. Although it is a very grim notion that the holodeck was essentially delegated as a place to go to wait for death in a no-hope scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Those Captain Proton episodes were always a drag, maybe caus they were in black and white they used less power? :shrug:

The thing about holodecks having their own independent and incompatible power comes from Voyager season one.

I prefer Captain Proton and Fairhaven over the resort program. Sandrine's is still the best though.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Voyager had a good idea but bad execution.

There was too many dull characters and terrible acting.

Neelix and Harry Kim were dull beyond belief and poorly acted

Chakotay was a good idea but badly acted and written

There was a lot of good stories. Overall better than even STNG in terms of stand alone episodes

But it never made enough of its key concept a lost ship and mixed crew

To an extent STNG did the reset thing over and over but it had the excuse of starting in the 80s.

Ah yes, Memory Alpha has an entry here https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Holodeck_reactor

All I can remember from the resort program is the horror of Neelix's erotic foot massage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭McFly85

I never knew about that. Seems a missed opportunity to make Voyager more unique. With limited holodeck time, they could have looked to turn some unused areas of the ship into physical recreational areas instead to make the ship more liveable - instead of Sandrines they could have had a physical bar, a parrises squares court, and old timey cinema etc etc etc

Instead another contrivance to allow the writers to write TNG episodes with different aliens

With 150 people or so on the crew without the holodecks being used for something like training you'd only get about two hours of time a week.

They always seemed to make good use of pooling their time with multiple people using the holodeck at once though.

• Advertisement

It's been a while since I watched, but I think there was a justified rationale for keeping the holodecks running for crew morale purposes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I'd sooner sit through Captain Proton than Fairhaven anyway. I kinda liked those episodes, I know I'm in the minority but they were clearly written by someone who had a soft spot for the Flash Gordon serials

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Reached a moment in my Voyager rewatch where Seven mentions that the Borg once encountered a Kazon ship but didn't assimilate them as the Borg didn't consider them worth the effort. It felt like the writers winking at the audience about how crap the Kazon were as antagonists in earlier seasons.

Ha, never saw it that way before. I bet you that's exactly what they were doing.

Been doing an early Voyager rewatch lately, and I can certainly see what they were trying to do with the Kazon. Got plenty of development with them in the episode where Nog is suddenly a Kazon kid, and while the whole deal with Seska and the Kazon-Nistrum had plenty of promise; they still smacked of being Wish.com Klingons. Other villians such as the Vidiians and even some villians-of-the-week did a much better job at being an antogonist to the Voyager crew. That's even after "Basics" where the Nistrum take over Voyager, they seem pretty lame.

Agreed. They devoted so much time to the Kazon, and a lot of development, but never truly made them interesting enough to really appeal to viewers.... we'd seen it all done before really.

The Vidiians were properly interesting, and really should have had more development. The Hirogen also started very well (huge intimidating figures with an interesting and very cold hunting code), but faded quickly to generic bad guys version 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I think the vidians had the potential to be one of the scariest Star Trek villains.

Maybe even too scary;

Organ-harvesting nihilists with horror-show faces might have been a bit much, tonally, for the franchise at the time perhaps?

Im a full blooded male but I found the seven of 9 outfit distracting after a while.

It should have been ditched after two years.

I doubt very much that you had men or women tunning in just to see the outfit after a few years but I could be wrong.

It was like Bay watch in space

I liked the kazon but like every villain on star trek voyager and to an extent other ST series they rarely did huge damage and the reset button was hit

I do think perhaps that voyager might have had more good stand alone episodes than say STNG but the boring characters let it all down.

Plus dreadful acting by the likes of Harry Kim and Robert beltrain

I can't recall the actor who plays Harry but I know he is doing a podcast with Robert mcneiill (Tom Paris)

• Advertisement

Being a teenage boy at the time I should have been the target demographic for this kind of thing, but frankly it just annoyed me. I was watching Trek out of the hope for some good Sci-fi, and after years of being mediocre the introduction of The Borg gave me some hope for a show that I had given up on in favor of watching DS9 instead. Putting their rescued Borg woman into a silly silver catsuit was a blatant attempt to use Jeri Ryan’s figure to promote the show. Luckily Ryan could actually act and carried the role even to this day.

From what I understand we can blame Berman for this. He was mainly focused on using Seven to inject sex-appeal into Voyager to improve ratings. Thing is though, I always found the female version of the fleet uniform to be more appealing than Seven’s catsuit, and when she did wear a uniform it looked good on her.

We even get this slightly later on in Enterprise where T’pol is dressed in a similar catsuit. You could partially explain this away as a Vulcan design, but when she joins United Earth Starfleet, she’s still wearing the catsuit, just with mission patches added. Again, I’d blame Burman.

Advertisement