Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wasn't there talk of early implementation of some bus connects measures? The st james bus gate could have been one of them, anyway it's gone the way of many actionable promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is a S6 cancelled from Tallaght to Blackrock pencilled in for later today on the TFI journey planner.

I have never used the S6 myself. Anytime that I have checked it on the planner; the route is always very consistent with buses turning up as scheduled. I have seen a good few cancellations popping up over the last few weeks for the S8 too which is not a good sign. I can't think of a solid reason why the S8's are getting cancellations every so often on it's schedule. I think as we are still in the winter period; it could be a possibility that the recent covid, flu and RSV outbreaks on some of GA's drivers maybe hampering their operation of the S8 over a short period of time. Their could be other reasons as well like heavy traffic being present at random times of the day along the M50 when the buses go from the depot in Ballymount out to Kingswood Avenue to start their duty on the route.

There are other cancellations noted on the planner for both DB & BÉ in Blackrock & Belfield today.

An 84a departure from Bray Dart Station to St Vincent's Hospital was cancelled earlier this morning.

There is also 1 cancellation noted for the 105X from UCD to Ratoath from later today as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can only speak for the N4, but it seems to be a big success. Any time I’ve taken it, it always seems busy and I normally travel off peak. Of course I don’t mean jammed, at least off peak, there are always seats available, but definitely busy. But it is sort of different from the radial routes. On the radials, when people get on, they spend to stay on until town, while with the N4 at least, it is more of a case of folks getting on and off at different locations throughout the trip, rather then going the full distance.

So like people might get on at East Point Business Park and then get off at the Swords Road to transfer to a radial route (say to Swords), while then more might get on at DCU to travel to Blancharstown area, etc.

The N4 is definitely generating new passengers and trips and helping people avoid going into town. Like for me previously to get a bus to work, I’d have to get a bus to town and then out again, which I’d never bother doing, far too slow. Could literally walk it in half the time! Now with the N4 I can get the bus almost door to door to work, in about 1/5th of the time, amazing improvement.

Recently I went to a concert in the Point Theatre, was brilliant to step out of the concert, board a waiting N4 and was home in like 20 minutes.

Very serious game changer, specially with the €2 90 minute ticket. I can’t wait for the N2 and O routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I’m a regular user of the N6, and while my section of the route is unchanged from the 17a it replaced, the frequency and punctuality have improved immensely. A 40 minute wait for a peak hour 17a was not unheard of, these days there is rarely a wait longer than 15mins.

Loading does seem good, I never have any problem getting a seat but I’d regularly have somebody sitting beside me which used not be the case.

I still hate the loop through Beaumont hospital with a passion.

Previously I used make a judgement call on whether going into town and back out was quicker than the 17a, wouldn’t dream of doing that now. If the app shows a cancelled n6 I’ll travel a little closer to town and get the n4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The S2 is doing a reasonable transfer business with the Navan Road routes (37, 39/an and 70) at Arran Quay and Usher’s Quay so the dogleg isn’t quite as barmy as some think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

I've used the S4 a few times. It hits peaks and troughs numbers wise all along the route, as you'd expect. The 10 minute headway is probably OTT though, especially in the evening.

Some of the extra stops they've put in along the route though are barmy and unnecessary. And some of them are at terrible locations. I've mostly been on it off-peak and the running time is generous so there's a fair bit of holding at stops along the route but I've noticed that they hold at the new stops more than the existing ones. Makes me wonder if that's partly the reason for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Can you give some examples of what stops you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

My commute to work (if I'm getting the bus) is now the S6 to UCD and switch to the S4 until the Naas Road. It may be due to college still being off, but most of the peak time S4 services seem to be running at least 10 minutes ahead of time in both directions. Nice 30 minute layover for the drivers at either end! 😁 Definitely outside of term time the 10 minute frequency is overkill. It could definitely be reduced to 15-20 minutes and still provide a very good service level.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Apparently they've (somehow) got a surplus of drivers at the moment, so it's definitely not a staffing problem. What they don't have, is a surplus of buses. They bought (or hired) a fairly large fleet of mostly Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) to ferry drivers to and from termini and mid-route live changeover points. It's more likely that they're cancelling services because there aren't enough buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Question now is are those transfers going further on the S2 routing, or would they be better served by the O once it gets going and transfer at Hanlon's Corner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I was on a 46a bus on the N11 into town and I wanted to transfer to the S2. The wifi wasn't working so I asked the bus driver where do I transfer onto the S2 and he had not a clue what I was talking about.

He'd no idea what the S2 bus was. This is only yesterday.

He was older and Irish so you'd think he'd know these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's his job.

Isn't Busconnects all about being able to transfer?

This is why I have a half decent data plan. I wouldn't be relying on Dublin Bus WiFi, and I certainly wouldn't expect a bus driver to know every route in Dublin, including ones that operate from different garages.

There was a big deal made out of the launch of the southern orbitals. He's passing by it every day probably.

I thought it unusual. It was like I was asking him for some obscure info.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

His job is to drive the bus and know his own routes, not know the entire network

I pass loads of buses every day, but I wouldn't be paying any attention to where half of them are going.

There's only 3 southern orbitals.

It's important to know for transfers.

You'd think he'd have some clue.

I wouldn't. I wouldn't expect them to know anything other than their own routes.

Indeed with an older driver they may be marked in and literally have a single route to know!

It's his job to know these things.

It's not like I was asking him about quantum physics.

• Advertisement

It's his job to drive his own bus, ideally without being bothered by people asking questions that they can easily find the answers to online. The clue is in the job title - bus driver. They have a customer service department for queries like yours.

Providing info on the route and transfers is part of his job.

Driving the bus is his job. Providing information on routes that operate from different garages is not part of his job. Get a data plan.

It is his job to know the orbitals if his bus transfers to it.

It's basic info.

I'm sure lots of elderly and disabled don't have smartphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Could you not have asked other passengers? I came across this situation on a bus one day where the driver didn't know a route that a passenger wanted to change to, to be fair to him he went out of his way and called control to find out for the passenger but the bus was quiet enough to be fair and it was the middle of the day.

It's very basic info - and it's your responsibility to seek it out yourself.

It's very rare nowadays to meet an elderly or disabled person who doesn't have a smart phone. Or who doesn't figure out the logistics of their journey independently.

It really isn't.

It is, however, the passengers job to know where they're going which, it seems, you didn't.

And its the passengers job to not disturb the driver which, it seems, you did

That's like saying it's not a taxi drivers responsibility to know info on my destination. Their job is just to drive me there and I shouldn't be distracting them.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is. Because a taxi driver isn't required to know anything about your destination either!

Advertisement