Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭dmcdona

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So does the Jewish Israeli soldier meet your definition of "brown"?

Yes - I do wonder if the sound bites from the US are just for public consumption and the back room reality is different.

Netanyahu is certainly a very shrewd politician. I think the ICJ case (interim measures) will have a huge impact on what happens next for the War Cabinet - whichever way it goes. That could be the turning point.

Biden will of course do the numbers. His election campaign is critical. That is what he'll focus on.

It would be a tragedy if short term politics deny the Israelis and Palestinians peace.

Did someone say "never again"?

Genocide evidence racks up:

"Images of Israeli troops cheering as educational institutions were blown up went viral on social media, including one showing the complete demolition of a distinctive blue UN school in northern Gaza.

Such incidents have led to accusations of "collective punishment" - that Israel is methodically and deliberately destroying institutions including schools in retaliation for what happened when armed Hamas gunmen stormed over the Gaza fence on 7 October."

"Nisreen Abu Nimr is also from northern Gaza. She is married, and was a mother to two children, one of whom was killed in a bombing earlier in the war. Nisreen has also been suffering from cancer since 2016.

"I was receiving regular medical treatment for my cancer at a hospital here in Gaza. But, during the Israeli aggression, medical treatments haven't been provided for four months," says Nisreen."

"The United Nations' Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (Ocha) publishes regular bulletins on the impact of the war, and they make for grim reading.

Its latest updates say that at least 60% of homes or housing units in Gaza have been "destroyed or damaged". Nine in every 10 schools have suffered "significant damage". Hospitals, public buildings and electricity networks have also been hit"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Trump would certainly be directly worse, but I could foresee international acceptance for Israel's campaign drying up very quickly once the Trump name is attached. Under Biden the Democrat there is at least a veneer of decency that makes it very hard for western governments to criticise, Trump might however prove to be what Hamas was for Bibi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

but don't call it genocide...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That seems highly speculative, to the point of recklessness, given all the other ways it could go instead.

Do you really think that's the calculation that people like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida Tlaib are making? It would be stunningly self-sacrificing of them to offer up their own party in hopes of some sort of crash-and-burn from Trump over Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,909 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was at an event where Biden spoke (in Dundalk) and I firmly believe that he is bordering on dementia. Obviously he's being tutored on what to say and his opinions are not his own now.

So its okay for Netanyahu to say this but nobody else? It strikes me in the same way when we hear posters saying that Israel has a right to defend itself ..... but obviously Palestine has not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's just how I see it myself. To clarify, I don't want to see that either, it's just how I think it could go if Trump gets elected

• Advertisement

If Democrats don't criticize Biden for something worth criticizing over, then they're not really being very democratic.

Fact is, even if I want to vote for him in November, the situation in Israel makes it that much harder to have conversations with other voters and reason with them to do the same, especially if they turn around and mention their whole family was wiped out by the IDF etc.

Gotta call balls and strikes, and right now Biden is on Ball 3 here (4 balls is an out), only in recent days has he upped the milquetoast temperature against bibi for exit plans, a 2 state solution, etc., has a lot of ground to pick up after initial months of backing Israel with State hitting the yamulke photo ops hard and declaring they had suffered "10 9/11's etc" and just sure as **** as the morning I heard that line, I knew we were in for 10+ Fallujahs, which has occurred over the last 100+ days

So that is a valid excuse to murder thousands of women and children?? Jesus !!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Given the umpteen pages of Israeli supporters outraged at the phrase "from the river to the sea", I suspect they will be on here soon denouncing Netanyahu in equal measure.

Or not.

I think that's a constant tension within any party though - how far does someone continue to support their party despite certain differences of opinion? Isn't that supposedly part of why Hillary Clinton lost to Trump in 2016, due to left wingers preferring Bernie Sanders over Clinton?

But in this case, it's so obvious that the alternative, Trump, takes an extreme pro-Zionist approach, too extreme for many Israelis, that I just don't get it. Is there no concept of "the lesser evil" any more?

Biden is trying to push the Israelis to reduce the civilian death toll, with some success, and Netanyahu is so unpopular in Israel that Gantz would win a massive majority if there were an election tomorrow, which would be better for peace than the sort of right wing government favoured by Trump. A future Biden administration would be well-placed in the event of a more moderate Israeli government. A Trump administration would despise them and push the point of view of the right wingers.

And yet no, a section of the Dems and their supporters really do seem to prefer ideological purity to having their party in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Journalists too, https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-01-08-24/h_36c59d49bc593dbf45d28770509b8845 and lots of them. No doubt the usual suspects will be quick to chime in with their opinions on why they all got what they deserved.

So is this a suggestion that the rapes didn't happen? If not, what's your point?

If Trump is elected then I can see the UK taking a step back with regards to Israel. Trump is hated in the UK. His support for Israel and Netanyahu might actually help the Palestinians in the long run. Very few countries would seek to be associated with those two.

Except my question was why would Democrats like Ocasio-Cortez allow Trump to gain from this, in an election year?

Not some random attempt to find an upside for anybody else if Trump gets in.

US responses today (Haaretz):

The White House said that the U.S. will not stop working toward a two-state solution, and that there will be no post-war Israeli reoccupation of Gaza.

U.S. State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said there is "no way" to solve Israel's long-term security challenges in the region and the short-term challenges of rebuilding Gaza without the establishment of a Palestinian state

Also: Palestinian health officials said a Palestinian-American teenager, 17, was killed by IDF fire in the West Bank during clashes with the Israeli army that included stone-throwing by Palestinians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The fact they are now turning to Trump to be the saviour that turns the tide is even funnier than the person who can't comprehend a person alive in a photo can actually be dead in real life!

International responses today (Haaretz):

Mexico and Chile referred the Israel-Hamas war for investigation by the International Criminal Court over possible war crimes, expressing "growing worry" over the escalating violence in Gaza.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he had urged Netanyahu to "drastically" reduce the level of violence against Palestinians and to immediately pause fighting to let more aid into Gaza.

Russia's Foreign Ministry said it had received a Hamas delegation and had urged it to release hostages being held in Gaza, including three Russian nationals.

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said Israel financed the creation of Hamas in a bid to weaken the Palestinian Authority.

Israeli responses today (Haaretz):

30 Israeli civil society groups, led by Standing Together and Women Wage Peace, held a protest against the ongoing war in Gaza in Tel Aviv on Thursday. Over 2,000 people participated in the demonstration. Demonstrators demanding the release of Israeli hostages held by Hamas blocked Tel Aviv's key Ayalon highway, and Israeli police arrested seven people during the rally. According to organizers, some of those arrested were relatives of Israeli hostages. Dozens of women also marched in Tel Aviv on Friday morning, alongside family members of hostages, calling for their immediate release from Gaza.

War cabinet minister Gadi Eisenkot said in a Channel 12 News interview that Netanyahu bears "clear-cut" responsibility for the failures of October 7, and that cabinet members had prevented a decision to preemptively strike Hezbollah in Lebanon in the wake of the Hamas attack

"The more murderous and dangerous the situation in Gaza becomes, the more disconnected from the events the behavior of the prime minister and the cabinet ministers looks" - Amos Harel (Haaretz journalist)

Guesses anyone?

Swiss prosecutors confirmed that Israeli President Isaac Herzog had been the subject of criminal complaints during his visit to Davos, as Israel finds itself accused of committing war crimes in Gaza.

“The criminal complaints will be examined according to the usual procedure,” the Office of the Swiss Attorney General said on Friday, adding that it would contact the Swiss foreign ministry to examine the question of immunity of the individual concerned.

I wonder how that will all go if the "progressive" wing of the Democratic party ensures that the 2025 White House is Trump's. What do we think they'll be saying then about "working toward a two-state solution"? Or about whether or not Israel should reoccupy Gaza after the war?

Did I quote your post? No is the answer. I gave my own opinion on what would happen if Trump gets in.

Nobody is relying on that madman at all. I gave an opinion on what I think will happen if he's elected. Read the posts properly please. It's not that difficult.

The entire world will turn against these murderers. They had the sympathy of most countries after Oct 7th but their own murderous nature got the better of them. It was nothing more than revenge and a land-grab.

• Advertisement

Cracks are starting to appear among Netanyahu and people in the War Cabinet -

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68035744

Advertisement