Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NC 3000 slurry pump not turning

Options
  • 30-12-2022 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the problem is? Do they have a shear bolt, the pto shaft is turning but the pump isn’t.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

One of 2 things.

No1 is that roll pin could be gone at the following locations. At the impeller at the base, or at the universal joint off the gear box.

No2 is more horrific, gear box is mince meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

The majority have a shear bolt either on the pto drive or else under the gear box

They are machines where an unstoppable force meets an immovable object fairly regularly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It seems to be at the top I was thinking the gear box myself but it a fairly new pump and the pto is turning freely probably the shear bolt, is it easy to get at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's a matter of using a process of elimination starting at the PTO shaft and working through. Is the output shaft turning then the PTO stub is turned. The move onwards to the universal joint and finally the impeller. The are a simple machine and shouldn't take long to find the issue, no more than 10 mins.

Don't forget to check both end of the PTO shaft as one end tends to have a shear bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭stanflt

the gearbox gave up on my 3000 just before Christmas- got 18 good years out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

A 3000 seems small for the hp available to you Stan. You were due an upgrade anyway. A 3800 would be the minimum you should have I'd have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

The first shear bolt (the one that usually goes) is at point where you connect the pto shaft to the agitator. The shear bolt itself is a heavy type one which you'll have to order to get but you can use a shear bolt off a topper, it will get you out of a hold for a while (mine has a topper shear bolt with the last few years, someday I'll get around to putting in the heavier type one)

Buying a cross sa2- 5000gals mixing as opposed to the 3000 or 3800 nc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Neighbour has one and is an absolute Animal of a machine- it never gets blocked with twine cow cleanings etc around the bottom and you don’t have to take the power shaft off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I've one as I feed all bales. They have a new type impeller that extends outside the base meant to be a good job. I don't have it but I'll put one on the next time I do the bushing at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@stanflt - are they much more expensive than the NC? Got an NC3000SU here for the same reason that you can keep the PTO shaft on.

Do none of the manufacturers offer the same hydraulic drive that you can get on the tankers instead of a shaft? I see NC has an electric motor option - not sure how it gets spun up - 110V supply? They also have a racy remote control version which I think should be more widespread from a safety POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

*HIJACKING THIS POST*

I've put the NC Super 3000 agitator on the tractor today to starting mixing slurry but the agitator won't extend out it. It's jolting back and forth a little bit but that's it. Could the freezing temperatures be affecting it as it was left outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Had similar with a rake on first spin of the summer. Wouldn't extend out. After disconnecting pipes and sledgein out boom it eventually freed up. I put it down to lying outside for the spring in the rain and then the grease I had inside on the boom drying out out and glueing itself. Mightened be your problem but it done the same jolting to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Are you sure the hydraulic hoses are plugged in properly to the tractor and both on the same spool?

It sounds to me like oil is getting into one side of the ram and not able to return from the other side.

Hopefully that's not the case as I won't have any access to sledge the boom out. I did notice the hydraulic oil in the glass was a little low afterwards so I'll top it up tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Yeah they're definitely on the same spool alright. I even tried changing them around to be sure. One did pop out a few times at first but it's A1 now. It hasn't gave me trouble so I don't know what the problem is. I wouldn't be the most mechanically either mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I'd my rake ratchet strapped to the girder of the shed with a pull on the other end with tractor to reduce sledging. Anyway hopefully yours is a pipe mix up or an airlock just

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

This happens to my agitator at times too, after being left unused outside for extended periods. It can take a bit to get it moving sometimes. I put the spool into the float position with the agitator raised on the lift arms, then reverse the tractor and brake sharply. Doing this once or twice usually frees it. I remember one time I had to drive fairly hard over rough ground with the spool in the float position before it moved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement