Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

I don't know what a ''tankie'' is. For me, it's just a geographical term.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd say also that Putins mass conscription is playing a part too. You simply cannot take key workers out of the system, and still expect it to work This has already been raised in the Duma, but only got the smart-ass response to make the remaining workers work longer hours, increase the 5-day week to a 6-day week, but without any corresponding increase in salary. Add rusting and rotten pipework, electrics etc, and you have the perfect storm, as can be seen in Russia today. The Country is pretty much the same condition as its electrical and heating / water systems, rotten to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Is it just me, or has there been a significant uptick recently in the number of Ukrainian attacks on the Western Russian regions - those on other side of the historical border (Bryansk, Kursk, Belgorod and Voronezh)?

Given the level of creativity applied by the Ukrainians to this conflict, I could well believe that this winter will see them move the effective frontline back onto Russian territory, with the poor mobiks on Ukranian soil left increasingly isolated. Way back in time, when Twitter was still Twitter, I read suggestion that the best negotiated settlement would be one that saw those four Russian regions being dimilitarised as a guarantee of any Kremlin promise to behave in the future.

In any case, I would imagine that Ukraine will do everything possible to create a continuous stream of unburiable bad news for Putin between now and his re-election in the sprin. Another A50 (or similar) being taken out of the sky over the Azov sea and/or the sinking of another major battleship would be on my bingo card.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They have Increased attacks on Russia proper, but neither side has the ability to break through each other's lines, Russia is still attacking on multiple fronts,but not making much headway,the Ukrainians said a new A50 was active flying today,they didn't learn anything

And on the home heating situation....

• Advertisement

But not so good. The sooner those independent's who continue supply Putin's war machine get hit with sanctions the better/

That's mad considering they are a US company, hopefully no JCB equipment made here is ending up there

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As I understand it, Western Ukriane includes Donbas and Crimea. Eastern Ukraine, by contrast, is areas like Belogord, Rostov, Krasnodar almost up as far as Kursk which are currently under Russian occupation.

I do not support Ukraine trying to retake Eastern Ukraine, and I dont think they should. But I agree with you that they should be able to settle for just Western Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I don't think any excavators are manufactured in Ireland, but we do make cranes. German company Liebherr produces cranes in their Killarney plant and has exported to Russia in the past. Liebherr have an extensive presence in Russia and continue to do a roaring trade there, according to their own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia does not recognise Ukraine's right to exist if it is a Ukraine that would have the temerity to pivot away from Russia politically. We can see this in how they have been conducting their invasion. They pound towns and cities to rubble when those towns will not simply surrender. They attack hospitals, they attack residential areas, they attack schools, they attack critical general civilian infrastructure like water and power. Everything. They're completely brutal and indiscriminate.

Anyone who's grown jaded of the war would do well to watch something like 20 Days in Mariupol to remind themselves of Russia's evil. Dead children, dead parents, family homes smashed to bits, pregnant women bleeding out in improvised maternity wards because the Russians blew up the actual maternity hospital. Rubble everywhere, horrific injuries, shellshocked people with nowhere to go, people lying dead in the streets. That's what encroaching Ruski Mir looks like for the people of Ukraine. And if Ukraine simply surrendered, we can only guess at how Russia would conduct its 'denazification' programme, but we can be sure that the hell of it would be blanketed by a thick layer of Russian propaganda and Twitter's useful idiots and outright trolls. You wouldn't want to be a Ukrainian who still wants to be so in occupied Ukraine, that's for sure. Bucha's only a taste of that. So, we can understand in this way why Ukraine fights on, and does not simply surrender for peace sake, because it would be a 'peace' similar to what the 'untermensch' felt in Nazi occupied Europe - ghettoisation, stripping of rights, mass deportation and summary execution of those who continued to resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

france is sending very little money, marcon is hedging his bets, alltho i believe the eu are pushing him hard

This is what all the peace talking negotiators etc. fail to see, and their convictions are reinforced by Putin paid propaganda shills. Putin is not paying 1,5 billion $ per year on propaganda for nothing. Sad thing though is that it's working, as can even be seen here on Boards occasionally. Putin is a genocidal murderous bastard.

What's your take on not taking donesk and lughansk ,I think there's people living there who don't want the Russians there but had no choice once they arrived and installed a pro Russian leadership and militias while disappearing any discenters

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

Eastern Ukraine has a **** load of gas, oil, lithium, cobalt, aluminium etc. If Ukraine loses that potential it may never recover economically. A conservative estimate is something like 12 trillion euros in assets.

Seems the replacement for the A50 as arrived but there are operational changes

The fact that they didn't ground the aircraft says something,

By the way who jinxed Boeing we know the Russians are bad but who thought flying on Boeing aircraft lately is turning a little Russian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It says the Russians know it was shot down and didn't randomly crash. Furthermore if the tweet is accurate and they are flying them over Russia and not near the front line, they must be confident it was shot down by Ukraine. Be easier to replace an AA operator or issue new directives than place your AWACS further from the front line.

Of course they know it was shot down,

They did it themselves

So why not just replace the AA operators? I won't even ask for your source that the Russian's shot it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭vswr

If it were the Russian's, it demonstrates a lack of IFF capability, system security, and huge co-ordination issues. Replacing an AA operator isn't going to fix any of that, and those issues aren't being fixed any way fast. So you take the valuable target out of the grey area.

If it were the Ukranian's, it demonstrates a previously unavailable SAM distance, or A2A capability. Naval capability is also a very tiny possibility.

• Advertisement

This wouldn't be the first time Russians shot down their own plane though. It's obvious they have issues with IFF. Rather than loosing their main asset, it's easier to tell operators (or just the one who alleged to have shot it down) to avoid the big radar target flying behind the frontline! Ukrainian fighters don't be flying that high.

If it was the Ukrainians, based on the radar track Ukraine provided, a PAC-2 missile is within range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Does the patriot shoot any other missile's which could reach the new flight path? I'd love if Ukraine we're given two more better missiles to have another go. One more of these lost Russia wouldn't risk anymore close to Ukraine they'd become useless.

And if you think that the winter here is bad now....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

In the early days of the war I watched this thread quite closely and I also watched the various YT videos on Ukrainian updates daily also.

I haven’t really watched anything in a while but I did watch the latest kings and generals video on YT this evening and it seems the war doesn’t seem to be going to plan for the UAF?

It looks like a stalemate with marginal Russian gains in the last few weeks maybe?

How will this work for Ukraine with a potential change of government in the USA and a potential lack of funds for the war plus the fact Ukraine are talking about mobilisation now for 500k people to keep the fight going.

IDK it looks a bit like a miracle is needed to beat an enemy that has absolutely no regard for its own soldiers that it just throws into the meat grinder to try and overwhelm the Ukrainians.

The new flight path is too far for anything even in the US arsenal to reach via a land based system.

If Ukraine shot it down, Russia may keep their AWACS further away, if the Russian's shot it down, once they identify the errors and correct, then they would more than likely be flying closer again. I've yet to see any evidence the Russian shot it down by mistake or otherwise.

There was a program on TV the other night, and by God, it was a revelation!!! From the time Boeing joined with McDonnel/Douglas they seem to have gone downhill, with all the focus on making cash the primary aim and function. To put it mildly, quality control seems to have become non-existent. Be interesting to see how Boeing compares with other plane manufacturers when it comes to manufacturing defects.

Pretty much patriot is best of the current bunch,they are not designed for long range interceptions I believe they end up being at risk of getting intercepted themselves or interference from electronic counter measures, there is systems like THAAD and Davids Sling which are designed to intercept ballistic and icmb type weapons at higher altitudes it's possible they could be repurposed but they are alot more expensive and not hundreds of them available to give away .

But Ukraine still has it own fighters capable of intercepting and downing Russian aircraft like the A50 and Il22

Bad week for them between the blow out in Alaska, windscreen crack off Japan and and an engine fire last night,add the other issues with the 737 max , something is going wrong somewhere with QC ,

Doesn't seem to effect military aircraft but then most Boeing aircraft are flying decades with the US airforce ,vs newer civilian types

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

Ukraine means outskirts in Russian. I mean the west of the Ukraine, where pro-EU/US sentiment is stronger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement