Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Ryanair increasing prices on their LGW route in 3, 2, 1....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

very surprising alright. Not saying it’s a bad decision but not a great look to be retreating from London. Granted they have Heathrow but still. Surprised BA don’t start it with their op there.

maybe time for EasyJet!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Very surprised at this, and a bit disappointed.

I used to use EI out of Gatwick weekly at one stage flights were always busy, but i know there’s more to it than that.

Hopefully capacity will be bumped up on LHR, and this will free up an aircraft for additional capacity elsewhere or a new route

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Aer lingus plane with the new paintwork in the scrapyard in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

Think that’s EI-CVA….went to Knock in September for part out. Strange to see it in the new paintwork when other operational aircraft are still in the old colours but I’m guessing it received the paintwork as planned/part of a C check and was then withdrawn from service shortly afterwards (maybe at short notice).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The fact Virgin never resumed flights from LGW no doubt a big factor. Always a popular route to MCO in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI-CVA was the very first to be painted and also the oldest A320 owned by EI, so no surprises it was scrapped.

There was some talk it went in for a check and the decision was taken to scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Yep wasn’t ‘CVA nearly 23 years old or something by the time it was retired. Quite a career. I noticed it spent its final couple of months flying without a wingtip fence, they’d obviously decided its time was up by that point.

Shame about Gatwick, it’s not a good look to be retreating from a London airport. Even with the reduction of long haul connections LGW provide, I would have expected Aer Lingus to comfortably sustain it on a point to point basis. We know there’s been a softening of the UK-Ireland market and also business travel but still, it’s another win for Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There will be nothing but the Med routes if they continue down this road!

This route loss will really be felt on the winter schedule but guess they can just park another aircraft or resume it.

I suspect the extra Rome and Paris flights are possibly a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

It’s a shame to see any route go, Virgins exit from Gatwick has probably affected bookings.

its probably not a huge loss of seats on Dublin - London considering DUB-LHR is up 2 flights a day with the slots gained from Belfast and the increased capacity on the A320NEO

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

BA euro flyer will hopefully take it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not much use when you have connections with BA…I fly to St.Lucia a lot for projects if I fly another airline its. No more checked in baggage , no more lounge , no more increased baggage allowance etc

so

ill have to fly the night before and have extra costs

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭supereurope

This marks the end of EI at Gatwick doesn't it? I remember when they first set a base up there around 15 years ago, routes to Cork, Shannon, Eindhoven and others, and it seemed like it was going to be a major airport for them. None of the routes except for Dublin lasted particularly long, though as a Corkonian who lived in London, the route to LGW was useful. Ryanair only fly to Gatwick from Cork once a day, and the times aren't ideal.

Post edited by supereurope on

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

Unfortunate decision. I seem to remember EI going off LGW before (circa 2001?) but then going back on.

For the LGW long haulers, there is a direct bus between the two airports via the M25. Takes about an hour and a bit pricey but does the job. BA used to route passengers with transfer flights with an airport change between the two, not sure if it still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

BA still offers these connections. But lots of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You may be sure that your bag isn’t getting that bus and will be a few days behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

I wonder how long this has been in the pipeline. Was the writing on the wall when EI moved the Knock flight from LGW to LHR or was that unrelated?

There was a wonderful marketing video with a Queen lookalike going through the airport – "is there any champagne in your luggage, ma'am?".

I can't find it now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is EIK having it's refit done at the minute in Dublin ? Hasn't flown since the 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Going to mco via Gatwick with BA in June. Meant to be travelling with aerlingus to Gatwick. What will they offer or will the whole trip be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

You should ask to be put on the direct service - they’ll prob try getting you to go to Heathrow and then self transfer. Tell em no thanks.

I think if they were, it would be announced at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I flew on EI-EIL a couple of days ago and the Captain's welcoming announcement to pax included that they'd been told that it would have a full internal refit in March (about six weeks hence).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

EI pulling out of LGW is one of the silliest things I've seen in years. My London business trips for the last 10 years - must be around 200-300 have been

1% southend

4% stansted

5% LCY

10% LHR

80% Gatwick split 50/50 between EI and FR, whichever was cheaper on the day

LHR is crap even with the Elizabeth line with BA or EI, unless I am going to Slough or Reading there is no point at all

LGW is straight off plane 5-10 mins waiting on a platform for Victoria or Thameslink and its every 5 mins for a fast service usually cheaper than Elizabeth line

Absolute madness and no justification . I'd let Easyjet in on no landing charges into Dublin to T2 just to annoy EI for this

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,717 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would strongly suggest that which airport is best in London is dependent on where in London you are going. Just because LHR is "crap" for you doesn't mean it is for others.

Incidentally, comparing rail fares using Oyster/Contactless, the devil is in the detail, and significantly what your travel plans within London are during the rest of the day.

Single fares are:

Thameslink to Blackfriars or Southern to Victoria from Gatwick - GBP 9.50 off-peak / GBP 17.50 peak (Peak is 06:30-09:30 to London and 06:30-09:30 and 16:00-19:00 from London Monday to Friday)

Gatwick Express to Victoria from Gatwick - GBP 21.80 anytime

Elizabeth Line to Tottenham Court Road from Heathrow - GBP 13.30 anytime.

London Underground Piccadilly Line to Piccadilly Circus from Heathrow - GBP 5.60 anytime.

Importantly both the Elizabeth Line and Piccadilly Line fares from Heathrow do count towards the Zones 1-6 daily cap of GBP 14.90, while the Gatwick fare does not.

The Gatwick fare cap is GBP 23.70 off-peak or GBP 37.30 peak (same time restrictions apply as above) and this only applies to Southern/Thameslink journeys and not Gatwick Express.

Advertisement