Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

A bit like if IE had welcomed in the Nazis. Churchill woulda wiped Southern IE off the face of the earth.

Russia views a US-run UKR as a existential threat, rightly or wrongly. It is a clear red line for them, and has been flagged as such for the last 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭eire4

Ahh Comrade sure we would have been fine so. Given Donegal is the most northerly country in Ireland we could have all just popped over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

The presence of Nazis in Ukraine has been greatly over exaggerated by Russia as one paper thin pretext for invasion. Nazism doesn't bother Russia at all. If it did, their top mercenary group probably wouldn't have been called Wagner, nor would its late Co-founder have had tattoos of SS insignia.

As for influence on Ukraine being a red line, has Putin ever considered that Russia could have better held on to it by not being such a shttty, corrupt country who offers little hope of economic growth to its vassals? You'll notice that every former Eastern bloc country now in the EU/NATO has little to no interest in leaving and joining EEU/CSTO (lol) instead. They know where their bread is buttered. Russia should tend to its garden. It'll catch many more butterflies that way than trying to machine gun them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Field east

I wonder are we aware of all the significant fire outbreaks in Russia and how many outbreaks are there per one million of population ? Outside of the fire-bombing of potential refugee centres I guess Ireland have experienced about one equivalent major outbreak every three years. So at 5m of a population that would mean circa .07 major outbreaks per year per one million of pop.

And so if Russia has 20 major outbreaks per year and with a pop of 150m, that would make it .133 outbreaks per 1 m of pop .

That would mean that there are circa twice (1.9) as many outbreaks in Russia than there are in Ireland. The only overall difference the high % of the outbreaks in Russia that are military related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭zv2

There was an item on Sky News this morning about the Brits. testing a new laser AA weapon. Costs only £10 to take down a plane. Israelis have something similar.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭dmcdona

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭zv2

Off topic (or maybe not)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just like Chechnya and Georgia, I suppose? And currently Bashkortostan? Oh my!!! Big bad evil U S of A...... again!!! Biggest existential threat to the Russian Federation is Putin and his friends. And not only to the RF, but to the World, all of it. And make no mistake, he would play the same game with China, except that China would not take it from him, as the west has done for far too long,,,China is not fooled by his nuclear threats. Matter of fact, China has actually reverted to re-naming places in Russia that formerly belonged to China, with their original Chinese names.....and guess what? What did Mr Putin and Friends do or say? Nothing!!! Absolutely nothing. While Ukrainians doing the same thing in Ukraine, replacing Russian names with Ukrainian ones, brings howls of outrage on Russian TV. even the usual Nuclear threats from Mr. Nuclear Man himself, Medvedev.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Americans and Germans and Swedish have been working on them for years too ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

edit: I don't think he's "hedging bets" any more (!), the phone calls are over for now + have been for a while.

They are still one of the larger EU budget contributors. EU contributions are often omitted discussing European countries aid to Ukraine, and comparing it to non EU members.

So if Hungary continues to block future Ukraine aid through current EU mechanisms and other member states decide to go around them (rather than facing them down e.g. trying to remove their Council veto), France will be an important source of funding for that.

• Advertisement

I remember Poland before they joined the EU, and now several years after membership, the place is transformed. After Brexit many Poles had to leave the UK (in their thousands) none or very few returned. Plenty of employment in Poland now. They're building up their military in preparation for a war with Russia, which they see as inevitable, and soon they will have the strongest military in the EU. Now that should be a bigger worry for Putin, but he believed after Crimea (and Georgia, Chechnya etd) without any major backlash from the world, Ukraine would be easy pickings. There's a post here on boards a while back, in which Putin is claiming the parts of Ukraine he presently occupies as " The Conquered Lands" (or words to that effect) Which was what he was planning all along as part of his empire building fantasy. NATO, Nazis, Evil West etc. were never any threat to him, but he used the words very effectively, especially in Russia. Even now, with a decimated army and a collapsing economy, he still seems to think that he can still achieve his fantazy. And while that's very doubtful, he has (unfortunately) the capability to kill many thousands more, and still cause massive destruction. He's one right evil bastard! 👺

Eager Chinese recruit!!!!

Before and After.... LOL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

375,000 Russian troops dead.

Like, wow.

That needs a minute to process cos fúcking hell that's some charnel house and perhaps in the abstraction of this war we forget just how many have died for Putin's gamble. Closing in on half a million people dead - and all that they got was 20% of a country they're barely holding onto.

For reference, IIRC barely 8,000 US soldiers died in Afghanistan and Iraq combined in the early 2000s. Russia has nearly hit the combined military deaths for the UK in ww2, and not far off America's own tally. And all this in a country a third the population of America, an approximate fourth/fifth of the EU.

The fields of Ukraine will do well by the fertiliser Putin donated to that country - though you also wonder how much of a future health problem all those (presumably) neglected dead bodies might cause to the water table etc.

@pixelburp For reference, IIRC barely 8,000 US soldiers died in Afghanistan and Iraq combined in the early 2000s. Russia has nearly hit the combined military deaths for the UK in ww2, and not far off America's own tally. And all this in a country a third the population of America, an approximate fourth/fifth of the EU.

And those figures combined for 20 years of daily combat in both countries, you could throw in the first gulf war and Somalia and still wouldn't wouldn't come close to the Russian losses over the last 2+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

I don't think was posted yet, dated Jan 19th. Came up on a viral feed.

details are a bit missing probably for operational reasons. I expect these interviews are edited or signed off by higher ups in case they reveal tactics or embarrass anyone.

Posted last week ,the tank was eventually abandoned after crashing into a tree ,the gunner credited Playing war thunder game for the tactics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Like I said, maybe Ukraine doesn't need to win as such cos if the Russian brass are willing to throw bodies into the grinder to that industrial level of death, eventually those corpses will be too many. Ukraine clearly have the technology, sophistication and smarts to simply dodge or absorb the little Russia can manage - Russia, amazingly, have shown absolutely zero ability to shift its doctrine.

After all, the Vietcong didn't really "win" their war, it just became too costly, too sacrificial for the States to keep going.

Yes, and costs played a big part Russia's defeat in Afghanistan too. Once the US started supplying the mujahedeen with arm held missile launchers, and the Afghan's got good at using them it was curtains for the main advantage that the Russians had, air superiority. There was a limit to the Nr. of Hind's (flying tank) Helicopters that the Russians had, and when they were all gone, that was it. It was leave, or bankruptcy. Supporting an active army is an extremely expensive business, and hopefully, Putin and his cronies are really starting to feel the pinch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Unfortunately for this war. I kind of think along the lines of Bill Browder. We aren't dealing with a semi logical (i'll caveat that one heavily given recent events in congress) state like the US. Where politicians are more straightforwardly accountable to the free press and population at large. I've to'd and fro'd on this in my mind. At first I thought that Putin could simply announce the whole thing over in an evening and claim "Nazis dead good job everyone". And the population would just swallow it.

But I've changed my thinking since one of Putins recent press conferences. When asked about Ukraine and the war he restated his initial maximal aims: DeNazify and DeMilitarize Ukraine. He appears to have firmly placed his chips.

This war is the endgame for Putin. If he loses or is seen to be weak he either dies or loses everything and goes to prison. I think Vlad would happily chuck another million Russians into the fire to hold the throne. The time for Putin to take an offramp was after the initial failed blitzkrieg. Indeed I think this is what the West was aiming for in the first few months. Show him just how much this would cost. But Putin has doubled down at every single opportunity.

Now whether or not the Russian population will go along with this indefinitely is another thing. Or indeed will Putins underlings get fed up of watching all their yachts and frozen billions ending up in Ukraines coffers? They might decide they don't want to sink with the rotting ship. But again who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Places like Karelia, Kalliningrad and Lenningrad Oblast have many pro EU/US people living in them and are the outskirts of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm guessing the Kremlin would like Andreeva to disappear.

Meanwhile another Russian in the tennis Australian Open. Resorts to biting herself in anger when she was loosing to Diane Perry.

Commentators have questioned her mental status.

Only a kid ,she won the game though not so mentally challenged to turn it around

It was mentioned here before of the riots in Bashkortostan. I'm not sure if this particular news report was reported here. Apologies if it was already.

And more..

Post edited by Say my name on

Meanwhile in Berlin in 1940. I mean Moscow in 2024. We see which stores are open on Moscow's high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

What a wonderful little propagandist she is. (Promptly flags her on YouTube for probably being Russian State Affiliated)

It’s interesting that they’re still getting luxury goods, but from what I understand a lot of Western brands come into Russia via 3rd Countries which will inflate the prices. The shopping center she entered had branded concessions but I’m thinking those concessions are Russian owned and operated whereas the Branded shops were operated by the actual brands themselves.

She makes a brag near the end that Russians can simply go to Dubai or Turkey to buy this branded goods which comes across as very tone-deaf. No doubt the wealthiest Russians (currently) still have enough cash to throw at such a shopping trip, but that can’t be true for most Russians. And I wonder how well lit up that street will be during the rolling blackouts thar Moscow might soon experience.

Russian or not that's a dreadful thing to see a teenager do, and speaks to the insane & lopsided degree of pressure and competitiveness demanded of modern sports stars at such a young age. Wasn't it Naomi Osaka who took a mental health sabbatical? (And got sledged for her trouble) Self harm is a problem in the first place for young people without doing so in the public eye. I hope the girl gets some help - tennis coaches aren't known for their empathy mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Fire at gas terminal in St Peters burg..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement