Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How is people unable to get their money back from rejected bottles and cans a BS claim?

Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Please explain how the green bin is redundant. It will still accept you container.

Ive made zero claims about how people will get their deposit back. You said the green bin is redundant.

Are you suggesting people should effectively throw their money in the bin?

Maybe people are not as fortunate as you and can't afford to do that.

Again, treating large amounts of people with utter contempt is not a great look.

I’m not suggesting anything. Here you are again try to worm your way out of your own statement.

how are green bins redundant? Will the bin companies continue to collect them in February 1st?

By all means, clarify what you meant to say but you can row back your factually incorrect statement.

You quoted the actual post.

We have 1.5 million domestic recycle bins which are now redundant for these products.

So in your opinion what are people supposed to do with the cans and bottles they can't get refunded for?

• Advertisement

“We have made 1.5 million bins redundant and replaced them with just 1800 bins. That's a 99.88% reduction. For an anti litter scheme. You couldn't actually make it up.”

Dont selectively quote yourself. The above quote is what I responded too.

How are green bins redundant?

You responded to both. As I just pointed out to you.

So in your opinion what are people supposed to do with the cans and bottles they can't get refunded for?

Any suggestions, opinion, anything???

Or in reality what this was always going to be. Re-Chit-Ching. The change is in their pocket.

Did I respond to the green bin comment the first time? No. I responded to what I quoted because that’s what you said.

Can you now explain how 1.5 million bins are redundant? You made the claim. Either back it up or retract it.

We have 1.5 million domestic recycle bins which are now redundant for these products.

I take this is like the time I caught you lying about RVM contents being bagged at collection?

You will just keep bad faith posting until I get sick of you and stop asking.

Came earlier this time.

Have a good one. 👍️

Yet another time of “oh I didn’t say that” despite it being written in black and white. Then trying to turn the conversation into something else.

You can’t provide your “conclusive data”. You can’t explain how green bins are now redundant.

I look forward to pointing out your next false claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That isn't the quote from you in the post that started this back and forth. In that you said "We have made 1.5 million bins redundant" with absolutely zero further conditions.

You may want to read your own posts before trying to claim someone is misrepresenting them...

And as for accusing someone else of bad faith posting when that has been basically everything you've done on this thread so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

@BoardsBottler am not sure you are thinking about this in the right way. There are ways to make money from all of this, but it's not from trying to get deposits back without having paid them.

This new scheme is a big change with lots of forced consequences. Each of these brings opportunity, you just need to work on some solutions.

Here's three to get you started; feel there must be 20 or more ideas you could come up with, once you think 'outside the RVM'. These might lead you to other ideas too.

Problem 1. No one (okay, nearly no one) today has to store these items in their home. That's a brand new pain in the ass coming soon to more than 2m homes. Opportunity: Maybe there is a crate or box you could import (or design) that makes this much easier for all those households? Germany seem to have this all sorted, there might be a 'pfandtastic' product if you can search for it auf Deutsch. You might even be able to import plastic pellets to make them (they won't be cheap to buy here, I'd guess).

Problem 2. Available space to store your rubbish at home may be a luxury for some, and anyway who wants to clutter their home with waste? Many people would like to store their recyclable bottles and cans outside their home, like they do today. They no longer can, as they are liable to theft. Opportunity: All that's missing is an outside bin that can be securely locked, bonus points if it can also be mobile enough to take in your car.

Problem 3. RVMs are going to be crushing containers in various states; you can bet fairly unpleasant liquids will seep out. Will the smell of sun kissed Dutch Gold, or the swarms of flies seeking sugary syrup be something your average retailer wants to be dealing with? I don't think so, do you? Will they want their staff stepping into a device designed to crush things? Opportunity: you've already been inside one of these, you know the score. What if you could offer a weekly 'deep clean' service. Charge extra for emergencies and out of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think that headline is a bit misleading. It implies 30% of shops with an RVM (or manual) will offer cash back.

The article is clearer. There are 6000 shops in Ireland. There will be 1800 RVMs (that’s where 30%) comes from. Each of these shops with an RVM will offer cash. That’s how I read that article.

Theres no new information really in that. Boggles posted weeks ago that there would be 2000 RVM (well just under).

Unless I’m reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is the number that was expected and the system is designed for

This will not be going away. Pretty much every country in Europe is introduce these in 2024-26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

some people will start litering because of RVM, if they find their can is damaged they will discard it in the street or chuck it out the window since its now useless to them. if the can condition did not matter this would be less of a worry.

Also if the cans/bottles did not have to be pre-cleaned then people could actually pick up stuff from the street and redeem it. Clearing litter from the ground for money. But now we know how stingey and mean the RVM company really is. They don't want to incentivise via rewarding, only incentives via punishing. No reward to offer us out of their own pocket, but they want free work and free help. Whole thing's a joke and a scam

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

I didnt think they had to be precleaned? I thought you could empty the can/bottle and lash ot straight imto the RVM? How else couls people recycle th on the hoof?

Hello there Genghis and other readers, i appreciate the response and you listing 3 problems that i could profit from solving/finding a solution. However i came to a conclusion that easily solves all (or most) of the issues for me mentioned in the thread thus far. And its a conclusion i came to in honor and inspiration of 1 or 2 specific users here, because they kept calling me del boy. perhaps i should take that as inspiration to become del boy and do what whatever it is they're accusing me of lol. i've tried reasoning and being practical but they're having none of it, so as a last resort i figured cool its easier and more profitable this way. Aslong as i keep my ear to the ground and my mouth schtump, i can pull this off no worries. Should be sweet sailing after a bit of planning, but much easier than all that permit nonsense that had been thrown about, and other license codswallop.

After all he who dares wins! i can collect cans from neighbors if i so desire, or from cafe's after people have finished them and left the premises. One mans trash is another mans treasure lol. Not only that but in honor of all the past stuff mentioned here i shall triple my efforts. Lovely jubbly.

At the moment i'm experimenting with skip bags, and seeing how many bottles or cans i can fit into them. i have a small bracket made out of spare wood (almost complete) that im using to put inside the bag so that cans are kept seperate from eachother and not getting squished damaging eachother in the bag. Think of the wooden bracket thing like a giant # X's and O's looking board thing

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I didn't realize this failed so spectacularly in Scotland before launch, partially because of the Brits Being At It Again but also the Scottish government not having all their ducks lined up with producers and figuring out the logistics first. Let's hope our lot have done a better job... We have lots of similarities to what this article calls a complicated design.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/06/10/how-did-scotlands-ambitious-recycling-plan-go-so-wrong

• Advertisement

People won’t start littering, I think that’s a wild claim. Some people who already litter will continue to do so.

You can pick up cans and bottles off the street. Once they’re not filthy, the machine should recognise them.

There has been an extensive consultation period with stakeholders involved. It appears Ireland does have its ducks lined up.

There will be teething problems of course. There oddly isn’t a big media campaign about this. Not a lot of people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

So this has worked very well in every country it has been operating in. Ireland has effectively copied the best of these (Denmark), yet you think Irish people will have an issue.

You really are clutching at straws and you remind me of the type of person that did similar regarding the smoking ban.

Consultation doesn't make a scheme infallible. In my opinion for many initiatives they're used as a checkbox to help railroad things through and say "we consulted the people". In Cork they don't even publish the results of public consultations, you have to beg for the pdf from a helpful councillor.

Scotland also ran an extensive consultation, it got 7.5 times the responses of our own one despite the similar population sizes. I talk to people at work about this and they've never heard of it. I hope producers and retailers are better informed.

By the way one of these 430 Irish submissions is my own, where I have outlined every criticism I've made here, beside anyone accuses me of not participating.

https://consult.gov.scot/environment-forestry/deposit-return-scheme/

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/cf94c-deposit-return-scheme-consultation-on-potential-models-for-ireland/

Consultation doesn’t make a scheme infallible and I never made such claim. Ireland has extensively consulted producers and retailers. Scotland did not bring all stakeholders on board.

There’s nothing to indicate the scheme will fail. I think we can all see RVMs at major shops. We have a 4 month transition window.

Id imagine the consultation with the general public is a box ticking exercise. Your submission was probably never read or overly considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Our family already bring all our plastics back to the shop, washed and bundled. We don't run a car.

Returning plastic is good. It gives the big chains an incentive to move to greener ways of packaging.

You just bring them back to Lidl or whatever shop you bought them from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Yes. Wash them first in hot water so they're not scummy and smelly. Lidl has 3 recycle bins, for plastic, paper and "other". Plus a battery box for discarded batteries.

Can you give some examples of which stakeholders were not brought on board there who are on board here? Notwithstanding launching at a different time to the rest of the UK which was a factor.

It's refreshing to hear someone with the same opinion that the public consultation here was pointlessless, some on here have made lazy attempts to devalue others opinions by saying if you have a problem with the scheme you should have participated in the consultation.

• Advertisement

it is a claim for sure but i don't think a wild one, and yes people who already litter most of them will continue to do so. The point i was trying to make is that by their cans getting damaged gives them more reason to "chuck it" by rendering it useless via being damaged. I've seen paper face masks and those one use vape thingys (especially lost mary) disposed of, everywhere since seeing them being introduced. i know i cannot compare them with drinks, but drinks are another consumable at the end of the day and the whole rvm thing promotes the mindset of "keep your tin in good condition and you could get a little bit of money back!" which in theory is a good thing for recycling and encourages it, but then the scheme having no use and no value placed on the tin once its damaged, in a round about way "the can is useless and lost all its value, no point lugging it around now" and some will see this as a green light to simpy get rid it from their car or tossing it on the side of the road, and even kids playing out won't bother lugging it around either as already alot of them discard cans anyway and can't be bothered looking for a bin, the scheme once the tin is damaged gives them more reason to not care after tis damaged. i will admit though this has some degree of speculation, and there are people who don't think like this at all. i'm more concerned with keeping the country clean, than i am with giving re-turn profit, as this design seems only set up for the purpose of driving up the countries recycling numbers.

A SOLUTION: maybe they should have a small mini separate bin/machine next to the RVM, a machine that accepts damaged/broken/flattened cans, does not need any barcode visible, and instead pays out by weight. So if a can is damaged to the point that getting a deposit back is obviously impossible, then not all hope/money is lost. The small mini-machine can have something built into it that tests the metal, weighs it, and then pays out a fraction of a deposit for the damaged cans. like lets say you have x2 cans that would have gotten you 20c back normally if not damaged, well this new idea mini machine thingy still gives you back 5c for each of those. How does that sound? alot of people would like this i imagine.

as for stakeholders, there's been people here in this thread claiming there was no stakeholders and calling the whole scheme non-profit or not-for-profit. i had assumed the government was a stakeholder too but apparently i was wrong on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement