Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

people and the website are saying they have to be precleaned (because the company are too greedy to bother cleaning the cans themself and don't wish to pay anyone to do it, they want quick easy money recycleables put straight into their hands for free without having to do any work, a big argument point against the whole scheme) but i'm thinking of testing it out and trying it with some dirty cans. i would imagine alot of the website is bluffing, and i imagine the cans will be accepted into the machine once dry or mostly dry inside (regardless of dirt that remained dried into it)

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

I'm in retail. I don't sell drinks or food or groceries of any form. I, like nearly all retailers, am a member of a retail representative group.

The amount of consultation with the retail and manufacturing and distribution industry has been immense and has been ongoing for at least 3 years.

At an early stage Denmark was seen as the perfect system and it has effectively been copied.

Only those who search out for issues and have faux distain for change, will be whining.

You can almost pinpoint the posters here that will be in that group.

They will find something else to have their faux outrage next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Westminster for example. Entire scheme designed and then Westminster granted an exemption excluding glass. That’s awful planning.

Producers were not listened to. With a scheme launching in the UK at a later date, Scotland only barcodes would be required to stop fraud. With a scheme launching in the rest of the UK at a later date, there was no buy in.

Thats just piecing together what I’ve read over the past few months. I don’t have a single article where its failure was spelled out.

I can defend the scheme but I’m also quite cynical. Public consultation is largely box ticking unless a group shouts loud enough. Same way people claiming there no inconvenience to this scheme is crazy, I just think the inconvenience will be so mild, it will be somewhat irrelevant for me and people in my situation.

They don’t have to be spotless. If you pick a can up off the street it’ll be accepted once it’s not damaged.

With regards liquid inside, there’s a weight sensor I believe in the spec. I would imagine a few drops is fine.

The problem with green bins is one dirty nappy in one green bin, contaminates an entire streets recycling. This is eliminated with RVMs and will dramatically reduce cross contamination. Hence, it’s a higher quality of material for recycling (or other).

Very true, i cringe at the thought of a dirty nappy going in the recycling bin INSTEAD of the compost bin. Why would someone even do that? lol. its so spiteful if someone was to deliberately do this to get back at recycling. honestly i'd rather them do it in the RVM's to protest instead LOL.

Also what do you think about the idea of still being able to get money for crushed cans and damaged recycleables? not the full deposit obviously but still something back at the very least. And also do you think it would help keep streets any bit cleaner?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You really are clutching at straws and you remind me of the type of person that did similar regarding the smoking ban.

Epic nonsense.

This was being rammed through stake holders opinion or not.

The whole thing has been a box ticking exercise.

One example would be the smaller retailers asked for hand held scanners to process the bottles and cans so they didn't have to visually inspect each item individually.

They were ignored.

Nappies go in the general waste bin not the compost bin!

I think you should be able to return damaged cans and bottles. I assume you cannot as an anti fraud method, otherwise you could print off the barcodes and stick anything in that meets the weight requirement if shape recognition wasn’t a requirement (that’s a guess).

A crushed can, you wouldn’t be able to read the barcode so that’s kind of a non-runner.

It seems a sensible measure but annoying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I remember being annoyed by this scheme when I moved to Germany years ago.. then about a week later it was fine.

So let the people whine and throw their tantrums now, after a little while they won't even notice anymore.

Post edited by riffmongous on

So people who recycle perfectly now who will struggle to use this scheme are just petulant?

Interesting.

• Advertisement

It's the same any time something new comes in, give them a few weeks and they'll be fine.

Are you sure they go in the general waste? paper nappies is decomposible and poop is normally used in compost. i once seen someone pooping in the compost bin and thought it was weird at the time but made sense because brown bin. Putting poop in black bin feels like a waste when it can be used to help grow plants and make soil fertile.

As for damaged cans, my solution would be based on testing their metals to see if its actually a can in the machine, rather than scanning a barcode. Metal is metal, they should just take any cans regardless of logo or no logo. they're very mean and stingy. i would like to make profit on this scheme somehow, even game it lol.

I doubt the scheme will make anyone less disabled or old or will magically give them transport.

But you'll be fine with it. That's the important part.

According to greyhound, nappies go in the general bin (I don’t have kids):

The issue with that method is that cans from outside of Ireland could be deposited and it exposes the scheme to higher levels of fraud.

I would have preferred barcode recognition, return logo recognition, and material recognition. I can understand why they’ve gone the other way tho.

Importing containers that don’t use an Ireland only barcode is probably the only way outside of litter picking to realistically make money. The amount you would have to import for it to be economically viable is prohibitive. That’s leaving aside the legality of it.

I can’t think of a viable way to exploit the scheme either legally or illegally.

Honestly my biggest whine has to be about how they are expecting the public to do all the work, expecting free work and free help while offering nothing to be gained in return, and then footing the bill to the public also. We break even at best, if all tins we buy our fed into their machines. Seems so unfair and messed up. For offering no real profit or proper incentive (and for using bullying tactics to punish people and hold our deposits at ransom, to make us co-operative, instead of having a reward based incentive) i have decided (with great inspiration from a member or 2 in this thread) to make as much money as possible and profit any way i can from the scheme. They asked for it, re-turn i mean, for being stingy.

As for whining there's alot of whining in this thread about some of the methods and "delboy tactics" mentioned a couple pages back, but really the tactics themselves are comical, very funny amusing things and overall great craic whether taken seriously or not. One of these tactics was making use of the damages cans by cutting off the barcodes and cellotaping them to other tins. Very dangerous and not worth the effort (low reward high risk) but the idea itself is very funny and amusing even if it don't work.

Do you have any mischief ideas like this? and any funny ways of profitting?

The costs have been indirectly loaded on the public. Technically, it is a cost neutral scheme for the public. That’s the societal contract, that’s just how things work. The reward is a cleaner environment.

I can’t think of any mischievous ways. I think what you’ve outlined before isn’t particularly viable but it’s harmless and you’re unlikely to see any prosecution because of it. You might make a few euro but not much.

i learned something new today, honestly had no idea about the nappies in black bins thing. interesting though so thanks for that.

as for can coming in from outside of ireland, potentially opening the whole scheme to a another possible potential fraud you're right. The more the merrier! all jokes aside yes i see that could be exploited, and not even overseas cans as i imagine people from the north could also buy cheap cans like for xmas parties and such then come down to the south could cross the boarder and get the deposits on those cans here.

But we really need to ask, whats more important to the government, less money? or less results to show hold up to the EU in terms of units recycled numbers? At some point there has to be a trade off, they can't have their cake and eat it.

My Opinion is if that they want to reach their target goal numbers faster, they should allow all outside cans in to the scheme also and accept cans without any need for a logo. However they should also in turn Lower the deposit, or atleast give out less money for non-scheme recognised cans.anywhere between 2 and 5 cent per can is a nice number, and it helps them reach their goal quicker. They wont do this as it doesnt pay for itself and requires them to put their hands in their pocket to pay out for these cans.

Everyone will, solutions will be found, like they are everywhere else where it's been working for ages now. You'll get over it

Hm nothing mischievous anyway, cans from other jurisdictions are never accepted by the machines unfortunately.

You can make some a few euro by collecting cans that others have thrown away, tourists in particular won't have time or interer to reclaim the deposit.. but the deposit isn't big enough that it pays off for anyone but the most disadvantaged

I imagine the solution will be take the financial hit and treat it like every other tax.

Same way there is no system to get your money back on containers rejected by the machines.

Much like the problems currently in Holland who introduced the scheme nearly 2 years ago I very much doubt everything will be rosy after a mere week.

Austria are not going live with their scheme until next year, doubt they will nail it in a week either. Maybe it was a rewards trial you used.

I certainly don't think anyone who has concerns should be written off as petulant whingers, especially a scheme which requires near perfect societal buy in.

• Advertisement

Containers from other jurisdictions “may” be accepted.

If the producer wishes to put a container with an international barcode on the Irish market, they pay an additional fee to do so. Products with an international barcode as opposed to an Ireland only logo will be accepted irrespective of whether a deposit is paid on them in Ireland or not.

The additional fee is to cover these ending up in RVMs. I don’t expect there to be many of these containers and will likely be for special imports that won’t be found in many shops e.g. craft beer imports, regional imports of drinks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

What's gonna happen to all the cans in shops on the 31st of January? Will they have stickers added? Multipacks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No, they'll just be sold during the transition period and recycled either in your green bin or at a bottle bank container.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Cool 😎 thanks. What happens to proces are they like 24 can of fanta for 12 euro plus the deposit and your receipt will be for 12 for Fanta and 3.60 for deposit

Do I see a price of 12 or 15.60 on the label?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

1800 RMVs, my local Tesco has 3, Super Valu has 2. I’d imagine that will be replicated throughout the country. So there’ll be plenty of places without a RMV for miles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'll have to pass on that one, maybe shops will do it differently.

The receipt won't be part of the process of getting your deposit back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Multiples at a single site are counted as one in that 1800 figure, as helpfully proven by a slide from Re-Turn that someone thought proved the opposite. There'll be 1800 sites, some will have walls of RVMs and some will have one.

If you live nowhere near a reasonable size shop you'll be nowhere near a RVM, and I don't think anyone ever thought that wasn't the case

Yes, that was stated earlier in the thread.

I think it’s fair to say, everyone on this thread has assumed RVMs will be available at every large retailer (Tesco, Lidl etc) but nowhere else. Smaller shops (under 250m2) will apply for a take back exemption as is their right.

The article offers no new information. We knew there was 1800 RVMs last week and there will be 1800 RVMs on Feb 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

No it's not.

It's a minor change for almost all people.

A certain cohort will make it out to be an extremely difficult challenge and will use the usual "think of the elderly and disabled" argument because of their own misplaced difficulty with a dreadfully simple concept.

Don't worry, there will be something else for that cohort next year

• Advertisement

We are legally mandated to think of the disabled.

Are you posting form 1982?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement