Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Solar newbie doing some research, so this is probably best place for a question.

I'm building a new house which thankfully (not by design) will have a large enough roof which is almost due south facing and I'm right on the south coast of Ireland, so in theory, a perfect location and orientation for solar. Due to the lack of a grant and high cost of initial build I'm unlikely to add solar to my house initially. My house will have ground sourced heat pump so I also maybe wanna wait a year to see my yearly consumption and then make a solar decision.

Coming to my question, I also have a garage with a due south roof, this is separated from the house by about 10 meters.

So given there is large south facing space for solar long term I think it makes sense to fill both those roofs with solar.

From a building perspective is there anything I need to do now to ensure I could have panels on both locations and them connected to the 1 inverter? Or is that even possible

I assume some type of duct between buildings would be key, but would that duct need to actually go from my attic to garage? Or what sort of specs on that duct should I talk to my builder about?

Appreciate any feedback and thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭con747

Have ducting put in place with a rope or similar to be able to pull through cabling and have cat 6 cables to where you intend having the inverter/inverters located. Try incorporate the system somewhere you can easily access it like a utility room. Others will have more information.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I recently sized a system for a relation right on the most south-easterly point and I was pretty jealous of the expected gain given their unbroken view of the sea. So lucky you! 😀

If the main roof is Southerly then you might consider having differing aspects on other available locations so that your coverage across the solar-day is optimised.

If the roof is eventually going to support the bulk quantity of panels then for reasons of less copper-cost, it could be a plan to run the smaller count of shed panels DC feeds back into the house rather than running the house panels out to the shed, if you get me. But for space reasons it might be better to run it all as con747 says, but out to the shed. All depends on your AC electrical layout and whether you have the capacity planned for the shed. That will tell you whether you need the duct running right up to the attic or not.

Plus try visualise the main loads and plan whether either the house or the shed gets the sub-board... you might find now with EV's, batteries and heatpumps that the shed should be where the ESB initially runs to and that the house is actually the sub-load.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Would 2.5mm2 be too small to handle 3 to 4 panels run off a mini inverter (say a solax mini X1 1.1 for example) from the well house?

It has a lean to facing west which I'd hate to waste. I've seen on here that solar is addictive...so true ha!

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

I've just completed building my own house. Its east west facing and to simplify the DIY install (and maximise efficiency) I installed a ground mount array with the inverter installed in the adjacent shed. A duct runs from there into the utility about 5 metres away.

If you do nothing else be sure to have a duct running between the house and the garage (my electrician ran a 16sq cable to the shed as that's where the inverter is and future proofs). The father accidentally blocked mine without realising it was meant to remain free for future requirements [facepalm] so be sure to let anyone working around the house know that the duct is not to be blocked.

Post edited by ColemanY2K on

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement

4x450w = 1800w or 7.8A. So no risk there to 2.5sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Hi, I have a few quotes in for panels and have narrowed it down to 2 options. One firm supply Jinko tiger neo panels and the other JAsolar n-type bifacial double glass panels. Looking at the specs there doesn't appear to me much difference. For roughly the same price one firm suggests 6 panels and the other 10 for our requirements. I wonder if there is a superior panel to choose or are they pretty much the same?

Both firms seem good to deal with so finding it hard to choose.

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

if you can fit 10 just get them.

You'll end up adding them later

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The best panel is the panel that is cheapest per watt (and fits on your roof / setup)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hi lads.

Can anyone tell me what the expected yield of 2 south facing 405watt panels on a day like today would be? They are on microinverters so I have no visibility over them. I am looking at getting something set up soon.

My 4 east facing 405w panels have yielded 2.5kws today.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Two 400w panels on a SSW aspect got me 1.3kWh today, and that's with a fair bit of shading. Could have got around 1.9kWh, I guess, had the trees not been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭The devils

Tested 2 panels today with hoymelles on ground (my connection was far long to the socket 10 meters in fact) wasn't home to see if anything was happening.

However got home with what little sunshine was left- hoymiles flashes red every second = no production.

I'll remake connection tomorrow in work to 2 to 3 meters _ the shorter the better for voltage and current drop from micro inverter?

It was definitely doing something as I had a smart plug in socket just to see if I could read any current

Tks

Mine went offline at 16:50 today (Dublin), so if it was around that time then it was offline due to the darkness.

The inverter doesn't like being disconnected during production, it goes into a isolation mode for a period after the power is restored, so try again tomorrow and give it some time to come online. The cable won't matter in a test environment now, the load will be low, voltage drop insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I will be fitting a 15kWh battery to my Solis 5kW hybrid inverter in the near future. I intend to fit a breaker between the battery and inverter. Would this be normal/recommended practice?

Would this be suitable? https://www.fruugo.ie/2p-80a-100a-125a-dc-mcb-600v-circuit-breaker-for-pv-system-c-curve-mcb-battery-main-switch/p-253257247-549455045?language=en

A spurious brand from Frugo... on a 15kWh battery? No way. See my post some pages back about isolator fires in the UK and the recommended changes there. Best fit a known brand if you fit one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Yes, you mentioned that in post #2517

However the stat sheet for the inverter (Solis S5-EH1P-L) states:

"External battery switch must be installed between the battery and inverter for safe maintenance purpose if the battery does not have built-in DC breaker."

Which brings me on to the battery (CERRNSS LFP48300P, 15kWh), it has: "Protection: Over charge/discharge, over current, over/under temperature, short circuit."

Does the above suggest it has a built-in DC breaker? I've seen a few videos where batteries were connected directly to the Solis inverter.

In any case, I want to do this right - thats why I'm asking!

How about this? https://cosypower.ie/projoy-battery-isolator-125v-125a-dc-mcb1.html

Any other recommendations are welcome.

The guidance is that if its specifically recommended by the manufacturer then go ahead. The protection mentioned is probably provided by the BMS within the battery and may not indicate that an isolator is fitted.

Id have more faith in the isolator in the link provided than the previous.

one anyone recommend these bolts for the roof panel anchor and washers ?

• Advertisement

Those aren't the ones to use. There is a different design which is a pan-head and is better rated and designed for the job. You can get them from midsummer.ie or from Wurth. I'll find the specs later today.

Not nice to work with IMO, Ordered a BC01 male and female connector for ac to microinverter

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Just got my solar and battery in. (5kwh Weco). I am going to charge on my cheap 4 HR window at night. Yesterday was very cold so the charge limit for the battery said 010.0A. So I set it all up at that and it charged to around 50% last night. Today is much warmer so it is saying 100A charge limit. So I have reset the limit for that.

My question is do I need to remember to turn it back down if the weather gets cold or will the battery's BMS look after that for me and I just leave it at 100A ?

Thanks

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Bms will look after that. Where's your battery?

☀️

Great thanks. In a converted attic beside the inverter. But it was probably sitting in a cold warehouse. Installation was just yesterday.

That's probably the cause then. Unfortunately not looking good for today and tomorrow. Might get some sun on Monday. How many panels did you install?

☀️

Thanks. Yes I heard I missed a terrific week! Hopefully get some sun next week. I got 10 jinko panels.

Bad day again.

Checked with shorter cable 2/3 meters.

Reading only .2 amps x 33 volts 6watts and hoymiles blinking red. I wonder what the min value is before invertor kicks in

Just read that it has to be at least 20w been produced

Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

My microinverters always produce regardless of conditions. Something else at play there. It's raining and very dull in cork and I'm producing 100 watts.

☀️

Advertisement