Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Galway a City in Decline?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Objecting to the nine storey hotel, An Taisce argued the city centre is being “hollowed out” by hotels, hostels, restaurants, bars and cafes https://connachttribune.ie/permission-refused-for-major-expansion-to-city-centre-hotel/

Well where else would you put all these businesses if not in the centre?

--

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The very definition of a hollowed out (donut ring) city is one with it destinations like shops hotels and restaurants out on the edges instead in the centre!

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I believe what An Taisce are saying here which is not really conveyed in the one sentence ref - that there is a potential for a "Retail Donut Effect" occurring here in that Tourism and Leisure business is expanding in the Centre by taking from Retail Commercial - that we are not having the right mix. Not sure does that really stand up in this case as it was an application to extend an existing longstanding Hotel. To be honest I doubt this had any real bearing though for the rejection. In the same article

"

CIE also lodged an objection, as it understood the plans would require access to lands around Ceannt Station in its ownership.

City planners have now rejected the plans led by Byrne Hotel Management Ltd.

Among their reasons were potential traffic issues, potential impact on Lough Corrib SAC, and reliance on adjoining property owners despite no agreement having been reached.

"

• Advertisement

Sounds like An Taisce haven't noticed the fundamental change that online shopping, accelerated by Covid, has had on the retail environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭GBXI

It may have been rejected for other more legitimate reasons - the article doesn't make it clear - but I couldn't despise an entity more than I do An Taisce. Arguably the greatest barriers to progress in this country. The irony of them objecting to the development of a hotel because it's not housing while also objecting to a 7 story block of apartments in the city centre because it would be 'out of character' is not lost on me either.

I know but comparisons to Limerick, Athlone Cork and even Carlow show how little it has improved over the last 20 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

One solution to Air BnB parties going on until 5am is allowing some nightclubs and pubs to open until 5am. Went there on a stag recently and it's a joke the place jammed everyone having a good time and then kicked out at 2.30am. We only arrived at 11pm FFS.

Not against late closing for clubs but by 2.30 most would have had enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lecter8319

Was back in Galway only recently and it has become a bit more rundown with more unsavoury characters hanging around then a few years ago but I wouldnt say its gone to shite. One thing I did notice is that the east of the city just past eyre square has come on leaps and bounds, Forster Street seems to be a much better/active street than it was a few years ago. Also, the wellpark retail centre seems to have improved & the eye cinema has opened again. I think Galway will always have a charm for people who've lived there but its certainly lost a bit of that charm mainly down to policies of govt and city council.

Traffic is worst now than its ever been which wont help the business community & there is only 1 or 2 nightclubs now aswell which is crazy considering it was always known as a party/going out/student/nightclub city. It hasnt changed for the better but there's still alot that can be done to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

If lads are partying until 5am they clearly haven't enough. Our nightlife laws are so backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I know nothing about Athlone or Carlow but part of the problem for Galway in terms of "decline" like the OP says is that it was a little ahead of the curve 20 years ago and also massively overrated 20 years ago.

Compared to Cork it has always been behind as it should be with Cork being the bigger city but Galway's reputation meant people over estimated it's appeal in relation to Cork.

It's growth compared to Limerick has been smaller because Limerick had so much more room to grow culturally because Limerick was behind where it should be. But Limerick was never as bad as was portrayed and has come on beyond anything I could have thought and is easily the 3rd city now as it should be.

Galway got in on the cool cafe and restaurant thing early so peaked early but overall is probably be where it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

My wife is from Limerick so I spend a fair bit of time there. I don’t think it has come on much. I went to college in UL so I would agree it was never as bad as portrayed and didn’t deserve its bad rep. I’m very fond of the place but the city centre is still depressingly dead. Day and night.

In 20 years the amount of restaurants, cafes, variety of pubs and pedestrian spaces is astronomically better which is a place it was lagging behind Galway back in the day.

For instance does Galway have a Milk Market, Wickham Way, Treaty or Crew Brewery (the kinds of things that are trendy now) but it probably has other stuff to counter those. Galway has Shop St. and the surrounding streets which is certainly better than Catherine/Thomas St. but 20 years ago Limerick didn't even have those nice hospitality streets.

Galway has all the same problems as everywhere else. Could be better but worrying too much is just "grass is greener" stuff.

For me Galway City has stagnated in the last 2 decades - it has still great potential though and can be fixed with a bit of vision and will.

It is a great Town/City to visit as a Tourist but for the locals and those in its hinterlands it needs big improvements.

The 2000's were wasted with a continuation of low density planning more suitable for a town rather than a City + regional Development further afield, then had another wasted 10 years after the Celtic Tiger crash.

If it wants to be a proper European regional City then it needs to do what proper European City's do. Plan like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Only contributing as this topic fascinates me with my interest in how cities can decline, rejuvenate, become complacent etc and in my life Galway and Limerick cites are the two places that I am most familiar with and that provide me with most of my modest social, shopping and sporting needs. In my opinion Galway city is not in decline, though progress is relatively slow in recent years compared to the rapid transformation underway in Limerick City. I have always noticed that people in the west of Ireland continually compare the fortunes of both cities with the other. As Galway City emerged as the third city in Ireland and became a place associated with 'culture' and craic and progress, Limerick City became synonymous with dilapidation and gang feuding. As some posters wrote Galway was never as vibrant nor Limerick was never as bad as some people believed. The media etc were convinced that Galway was the future and Limerick was finished as a destination for business, shopping, social life etc. RTE and the Irish Times ran regular features on the vibrancy of Galway and the stagnation of Limerick. I remember RTE producing a programme on the Wildlife of Ireland's largest 3 cities, Dublin, Cork and Galway even though the population of Limerick city was significantly larger once Castletroy, Raheen, etc etc were included as they should have been. Then Limerick finally got its act together. The city boundaries were finally redrawn to finally and logically include UL, the hospital plus Monaleen, Castletroy, etc. the formation of Limerick 2030 development company was 'a game changer'. Derelict spacious urban sites, a relic of Limerick's proud industrial past were suddenly prime sites for office and residential projects, including the Opera Project. The government invested very substantially, about time, in the city. State money has poured in to new schools, primary and secondary, 2 universities and their projects, plus expansion of the prison, hospital, railway station etc. Housing developments in Caherdavin, Monaleen, Mungret and Caherdavin, though significant in size, can't meet the demand for housing. Increasing numbers of people, with no connection to the city are considering buying in Limerick's suburbs,some in renovated Georgian buildings, principally for reasons of convenience to Dublin, Kerry, West Clare, the west of Ireland. Many significant industries have opened in or outside the city, with the Eli Lily investment of one and a half billion euro in their new plant proving hugely significant. Shannon Airport is undoubtedly a real driver in the area also. One of the main reasons, in my relatively uninformed opinion, for the recent re-emergence of Limerick is the fact that the city has the tunnel which allows people to pass from north to south in minutes and brings the city so close to Dublin etc. Shoppers from places as far afield as Birr can access the Crescent Shopping Centre easily. In contrast when I travel in and out of Galway City especially from Oranmore to Connemara I find the experience dreadful and consequently have reduced my number of visits. If Galway doesn't get its ring road soon I think that development in the greater city area will be restricted. The one big advantage Galway still has is in the vibrancy of its city centre in comparison with Limerick City centre which has major difficulty in competing with the out of town shopping centres. However, I have read that there are plans to increase the attractiveness of Limerick City Centre, indeed many are currently being implemented. The confidence generated by Munster Rugby's success over the years and Limerick Hurler's recent amazing successes have also been great confidence boosters for Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good stuff there but by God read up on paragraphing.

Limerick has Shannon and Foynes, both potential to turbo-propel Limerick as a counterbalance to Dublin. Galway, well what can you say..

Another boost to Limerick is it is finally being advertised to tourists (I assume) thanks to the popularity of city breaks and the current trend of seeing "real" places in the tourism industry.

Previous tourism drives were pushed heavily on west coast "diddly eye" Ireland which Galway (and Killarney) were massive beneficiaries of.

But still Limerick probably looks like a place things are happening because we had so much catching up to do and will never touch Galway in that industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Glenomra

[Apologies to the Grammarian, but here is my attempt at paragraphs. Hope that you are reasonably pleased now]

Only contributing as this topic fascinates me with my interest in how cities can decline, rejuvenate, become complacent etc and in my life Galway and Limerick cites are the two places that I am most familiar with and that provide me with most of my modest social, shopping and sporting needs. In my opinion Galway city is not in decline, though progress is relatively slow in recent years compared to the rapid transformation underway in Limerick City.

I have always noticed that people in the west of Ireland continually compare the fortunes of both cities with the other. As Galway City emerged as the third city in Ireland and became a place associated with 'culture' and craic and progress, Limerick City became synonymous with dilapidation and gang feuding. As some posters wrote Galway was never as vibrant nor Limerick was never as bad as some people believed. The media etc were convinced that Galway was the future and Limerick was finished as a destination for business, shopping, social life etc. RTE and the Irish Times ran regular features on the vibrancy of Galway and the stagnation of Limerick. I remember RTE producing a programme on the Wildlife of Ireland's largest 3 cities, Dublin, Cork and Galway even though the population of Limerick city was significantly larger once Castletroy, Raheen, etc etc were included as they should have been.

Then Limerick finally got its act together. The city boundaries were finally redrawn to finally and logically include UL, the hospital plus Monaleen, Castletroy, etc. the formation of Limerick 2030 development company was 'a game changer'. Derelict spacious urban sites, a relic of Limerick's proud industrial past were suddenly prime sites for office and residential projects, including the Opera Project. The government invested very substantially, about time, in the city. State money has poured in to new schools, primary and secondary, 2 universities and their projects, plus expansion of the prison, hospital, railway station etc. Housing developments in Caherdavin, Monaleen, Mungret and Caherdavin, though significant in size, can't meet the demand for housing. Increasing numbers of people, with no connection to the city are considering buying in Limerick's suburbs,some in renovated Georgian buildings, principally for reasons of convenience to Dublin, Kerry, West Clare, the west of Ireland.

Many significant industries have opened in or outside the city, with the Eli Lily investment of one and a half billion euro in their new plant proving hugely significant. Shannon Airport is undoubtedly a real driver in the area also. One of the main reasons, in my relatively uninformed opinion, for the recent re-emergence of Limerick is the fact that the city has the tunnel which allows people to pass from north to south in minutes and brings the city so close to Dublin etc. Shoppers from places as far afield as Birr can access the Crescent Shopping Centre easily. In contrast when I travel in and out of Galway City especially from Oranmore to Connemara I find the experience dreadful and consequently have reduced my number of visits. If Galway doesn't get its ring road soon I think that development in the greater city area will be restricted.

The one big advantage Galway still has is in the vibrancy of its city centre in comparison with Limerick City centre which has major difficulty in competing with the out of town shopping centres. However, I have read that there are plans to increase the attractiveness of Limerick City Centre, indeed many are currently being implemented. The confidence generated by Munster Rugby's success over the years and Limerick Hurler's recent amazing successes have also been great confidence boosters for Limerick.

Maybe someone like Valeo?

(There are staff driving from Galway, BTW)

The point is the 2nd biggest airport and 2nd biggest port are adjacent Limerick. Both are underused, for export/import of goods. That's why I see Limerick being the needed growth centre of the west coast as opposed to the abysmal transport options in Galway

Given that the projected population trends are further concentration around the large urban areas I don't think it needs to be "either or".

Galway/Limerick/Cork can all form a Western counter balance to the Dublin commuter belt.

Great post - I guess Galway and Limerick City are compared due to proximity but they have a very different feel to them. And size as you rightly point out once the boundary's were re-drawn in Limerick it is far larger + Limerick has much greater population centres around it.

One factor though for the hollowing out of the City Centre in Limerick is because of the Tunnel. The "Out Of Town" shopping centres that the BIG road around the City has facilitated. Going to be hard to get that back now, perhaps a tram or UL moving elements of Campus into City would help there.

If Galway's Ring Road is to be built - need a big reallocation of existing road space to be given over to public transport and cycling and have tighter planning so as not to allow that sprawl Commercial Development to occur that happened in Limerick City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Galway is a lot more vibrant in the city centre in comparison to Limerick though.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Has a computer model (simulation) of Galway city traffic ever been made of the existing system?

Simulation?

I know Council have traffic models - they (the Council) had it for the planning application for the GCRR, they do traffic counts in November which they can feed into the model they have built.

Be interested if the NTA can do the same for bus passenger trips in the City? Would be useful to know what thresholds need to be passed for existing service usage that would necessitate increased bus services on any given route.

• Advertisement

Static models? What I am talking about is a programme that can model and predict traffic flows based on complex variable input data.

Advertisement