Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Add Panels on Steel Tech Shed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Technically it can go into any cable so long as it has 230v. It will work but it's not kosher. Micro's should have a circuit of their own with local Isolation.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dmboards

Thanks guys for updates on pitch for shed roof (sorry for slow come back). Go the shed built over the past few weeks but to only have about a 7 deg pitch (long irritating story as to why it not more). One solar company said it doesn't matter so long as there a pitch to allow them to self clean. Others didn't mention it if I didnt.

But a second issue was mentioned by one solar company - the distance between the inverter / battery and panels.

I want to put battery in the shed with 4 panels on the shed and 6 on the house which would leave the house panels approx 14 metres from the inverter/battery .. but the company said that the inverter/batter must be within 6 metres of the panels which would not be the case for me.

Anyone else heard this?

Thanks again DM

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I know the battery has to be close to the inverter but never heard anything before about panels having to be a certain distance from the inverter.

I have a similar setup to you with the inverter in the shed. I'd be interested in an answer as the electrician is due to wire the setup shortly.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My panels are 50m away from the inverter 😂

They did use a 6mm2 SWA to go from panels to the inverter (5 core, 2 strings+earth)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dmboards

Thanks guys ... it was first guy on phone from the company that mentioned the distance ... a different chap came out for a site survey and he didn't mentioned distance and has provided a detailed quote ... I'll ask again in my response to their quote which just came on Friday morning. So maybe its not and issue (or else I misheard what the phone guy was saying).

This has probably been covered elsewhere but apparently I wont get a grant if I put some on the shed cos those panels wont be 500mm from the perimeter apparently .... great ... but anyway I'm trying to get a good solution for my house and needs so funding is (important but) a secondary issue ...

When I clarify about the distance I'll update

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I have 2 strings and the inverter is 15m from one of my strings.

Also the 500mm is in relation distance from solar panel to edge of roof structure (250 from ridge tile) to qualify for the grant. Nothing to do with inverter. Not sure if that was the question?

Let us know how you get on.

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

So have the installer install all panels in one go but only apply for the grant on the basis of the "legally" installed panels. The installer will just need to split the bill into two, no big issue and you remain above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭delmonte4

Looks a fine job. I'm looking to do something similar at the back of the garden on an existing patio and also on my steel shed. What size panels did you use on the pergola and also the steel shed? Did you have to put concrete footings in under the patio slabs or how did you do it?

Thanks, 400 watt panels.

I dug out a decent size hole under the slabs, filled with concrete and used chemical anchor to affix.

☀️

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m trying to get a dividing wall built at the moment in place of a crumbling concrete post fence and want to amend my patio/walled flowerbeds to get the footings and posts where I want them. So I’m going to stick some panels on the steel shed which is east west in the mean time. You don’t know the dimensions of your panels by any chance? Have you a means of recording what you generate?

Thanks. I’ll have a look into them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭DC999

Panels are the same size. About 1m wide, 1.7m high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The resurrection of this thread has reminded me of my own post from last year and my earth query. That bit at least is all sorted😉

I have a south facing shed with space for 7 panels and I'm curious as to what my best option is very taking advantage of that?

7 X 420w panels up there would give me a near 3kw array. My shed has a consumer unit tied back into the main house.

Ideally I'd love to go with a full grid tied install but, other things are taking priority for the next while. In the interim I have about €800 that I can throw at an experiment. Offsetting the power used in the shed would be my ideal outcome. Only high drain item down there is a 2kw oil heater, that's in addition to a Washing machine, dryer, freezer, fridge, TV, router and some lights.

I think I'm too big for a micro-inverter or plug in type unit. They're all in the 1 or 2 panel range.

I plan on the shed becoming a 2nd string when I manage to go with full installation at the house, but?

In the interim, any suggestions on what I can do with that roof, and without grid tying?

Would be much appreciated

• Advertisement

What did you do over the 2nd earth rod for the shed? Wondering about that myself for my own project.

You know hoymiles do 4T microinverters that link together with a 2nd or subsequent Microinverter that would cover your 7 panels. Though it might push the costs out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's tied back to the house via 10mm² earth and I'm waiting on a sparks mate to call over and run an and a megger over the board and check the earth. If it's needed I'll add a new earth rod and have him tie it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭DC999

Price wise: BPE quad microinverter (4 panels) is €300 inc vat from Kellighers. Jinko 430w panels are €80 ex vat. Need rails too. And ~€80 for sundry cables. That would give you 1.7kWp which is a decent start. Then you don't need to offset the power in the shed, that will feed the house. That’s not 7 panels but you don’t have a budget for that with €800.

I got rails and old panels on Adverts, so can get stuff cheaper if you’re not in a rush and don’t mind taking a bit more time to collect the stuff

Advertisement