Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Really sorry to be pedantic but bugbear is one word.

:pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sad for the workers of NI. Their stand today probably won't even register with 99% in London.

Therese Coffey proving yet again she isn't fit for office, hard to believe she's this stupid but here she is throwing it out there for the world to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do they actually think the election being a few months away rather than now wil change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A few more months of salary and benefits with more time to make arrangements for when they are kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They all know the party is going to lose the next election, and badly. But at least some of them hope to be re-elected themselves. If they vote against the government now, that means they lose the whip and, if it doesn't get restored, that's a bar to standing as a Tory candidate at the next election. Few, if any, of them would have any chance of being re-elected as independents.

Early on in a Parliament, losing the whip is not such a problem; people who lose the whip for rebellion have a reasonable chance of having it restored to them after a year or so of grovelling. At this time in the cycle, it would be a bigger issue. They'd be banking on their rebellion leading to a heave against Sunak, a new leader more in sympathy with them, and an early restoration of the whip, because if Sunak survived the heave he would certainly not be minded to smooth the way back for them.

At the place is finally having the kind of marches normal countries have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rachel Reeves hoping to woo those voters on over £100,000 a year with the aspiration of Tax Cuts and make Labour the party of Wealth Creation. Might encourage a few more rich donors as well.

Edit:

Reeves: "The Labour Party is now the party of wealth creation in British politics and I want us to be ready to work together from day one on rebuilding our country"

"....my instinct is to have lower taxes", asked if she agreed that she wanted lower taxes on workers “across the spectrum”, including those earning above £100,000, the shadow chancellor responded: “Yes”.

Is what she said, seems like an aspiration to me, but if people think that's "Red Tory" then that's up to them.

With regards to it being a 'proposal' 'commitment' 'hope' 'hint' etc. Labour don't put forward concrete anything, so that's all we have to go on.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah after years of Tory government it's time to help the rich out for once.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the Telegraph are reporting something about Labour? I would indeed add a little scepticism about the detail and veracity of the reporting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You've just dumped a tweet here with no info at all about what's actually been "proposed". Heck, even the Telegraph hasn't mentioned a proposal, just a "hint", whatever that is.

This sounds like the tedious old red Tory attack line.

On a more refreshing note, Hashi Mohamed has succinctly explained how toxic the Rwanda policy is:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Good to see Rishi Sunak found the struggles of the NHS funny, even the Telegraph are reporting on it.

It makes you wonder if they are going to allow him out to meet the public in the General Election campaign, they may need to lock him up as he's a liability like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every time Sunak tries to meet the public, or interact with them, it goes horribly. Dunno why they keep trying it, Einstein's definition of insanity springs to mind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You'd wonder how some people reach the pinnacle of personal/professional/political life when they seem to have zero cop-on, its like a bad-taste-comedian-joke thats not even funny if said by say, Frankie Boyle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stop me if you've heard this one before

Rishi Sunak has hinted that pre-election tax cut giveaways will be made on the back of “difficult decisions to control welfare”.

It'll be a lot more difficult for those on the receiving end.

he believed that British society should be “one where… hard work is rewarded”. - Funny how that'll mean the opposite of going after non-earned income and giving breaks to gig workers and others who have go flat out because they have no job security.

"Working hard is rewarded" from the party full of PPE graduates who elects PMs based off whether they went to the right schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Boris backing his old chum Trump to end the war in Ukraine by.... (checks notes).... sticking it to Putin??

He also had this zinger about the prospect of a Trump victory - “In the cocktail parties of Davos, I am told, the global wokerati have been trembling so violently that you could hear the ice tinkling in their negronis,”. That would be the Davos that he has repeatedly attended as a minister and PM?

£1m a year he's getting for this guff...they should be taxing the hell out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Does he believe in anything? His support for Trump actually makes perfect sense though...two empty and vacuous sociopaths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He was never what you would call a strong supporter of democracy.

I think he's hoping for a second wins if Trump wins in November. Of course, this only makes sense if you ignore the damage him and his friends did to this country.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Very surprised to hear there is a group called "Labour Friends of Israel" and that many prominent Labour people are members:

You've just pasted a link with no sort of comment whatsoever. What point are you making?

I've known about Labour Friends of Israel for years. I don't know what they do on any sort of detailed or specific level but presumably they're trying to maintain close ties between the UK and Israel.

Not surprised that there would be many people within the UK establishment who would want close ties to Israel, but surprised to hear that Starmer and large numbers of his front bench are members. The article mentions how Starmer shared a stage with the racist and hate speech Israeli ambassador to UK Hotovely in 2021 and how Labour front benchers defended her from criticism for her speech - a figure who was already hugely controversial and toxic even back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Labour Friends of Israel is a long-established group within the parliamentary Labour Party, and it has a fairly wide membership. Generally 20-25% of the parliamentary Labour Party are associated with LFI; a higher proportion of shadow cabinet members. It's not just a parliamentary group; ordinary members of the Labour Party can affiliate to it, and it has local branches.

In the past it tended to foster links between the UK Labour Party and the Israeli Labor Party, especially when the ILP was the dominant party in Israeli politics. But that hasn't been the case for a long time now and, with the decline of the ILP, LFI has put more focus on the bilateral UK/Israel relationship, and on UK foreign policy with respect to Israel.

It's not an uncritical supporter of Israel; it favours a two-state solution to the Palestinian question and at least some members call for recognition of a Palestinian state, and this has led the present Israeli government to regard it as somewhat hostile.

There's a corresponding organisation on the other side of British politics; the Conservative Friends of Israel. It claims 60-80% of Tory MPs are members. Some commentators regard it as more unquestioning in its support of Israeli policy than LFI is.

Think I'm voting for Khan again:

I was out for my constitutional over the weekend and her team parked a godawful advertising van by the lovely local park making out she'd be ending poverty and crime. Even for a Tory, she's spectacularly unimpressive.

I listened to that interview this morning and to say it was appalling is putting it mildly, she really is clueless, I bet Khan couldn't believe his luck when she was announced as the Tory pick.

I wish I'd taken a photo so I could share it here. I believe you. She has no grasp on detail at all, including what the mayor can and can't do.

Would it be as simple as that Khan is quite popular in London (no idea how he polls?), the Tories saw no point sending out a candidate who could even compete & just threw the election in throwing out Susan Hall as a sacrificial lamb?

• Advertisement

As someone who lives in London, it's not a position I ever really saw as being that important. That said, it's nice to have a sensible adult at the reigns.

Regarding Hall, I doubt it. London is winnable for the Tories. Well, it was when they weren't this toxic. With the party on the trajectory it's on, I'd say there was little enough competition for Hall and we are where we are.

As if to sum it up, she said she was supporting London's nightclubs by attending "Faeces Nightclub".

Advertisement