Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭fitz

Ulster losing this game because they keep just continually stop paying attention when the whistle blows. Unforgivable amount of points handed to Quin's as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Has to be one of the most pathetic games I've seen. There is no doubt now questions need asked of management!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

They really arent fit to wear the shirt, there needs to be a serious enquiry now...how the f*ck do you concede 35 points to this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jesus Christ.

Quins are good at those long range tries, but there just isn't any sort of organisation in the Ulster defence.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Were they the lads who basically mauled the other teams out of it all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Ulster a shambles. McFarland has to go

Timoney is the only Ulster player who'll come out of this game with any credit. Henderson and McCloskey haven't impressed.

Full blown capitulation from Ulster here.

You have to ask how much McFarland can get away with? They made excuses last week about Toulouse being an incredible side, fair enough, but losing 40-7 to Harlequins (with 15 to go) is nothing short of ridiculous.

They have enough talented players but just have all the hallmarks of a poorly coached side who switch off all the time. Basics: no pillars at rucks, not switched on to quick taps or quick line outs, countless handling errors and missed tackles.

I’d be seriously critical of Iain Henderson too - a guy who has dined out on reputation for too long. He has all the ability to be utterly elite, but is a fundamentally lazy player IMO who just switches off and takes whole segments of games off.

If he’s the leader and the guy who sets standards of this bunch that says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Yes. The tush push. Stupid yanks

They suddenly became totally inept at everything as the weeks went by.

Couldn’t throw a pass. Couldn’t catch a ball. Couldn’t make a tackle. Couldn’t maul. Terrible body language.

All hastened by an injury to their star player at QB

Basically Ulster but without ever having the star player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Nah wise up, Henderson has been poor today but has been good this year and played well for Ireland. He doesn't have long left at this level, especially given his injury history, but I'm having none of the other reputation or laziness stuff.

We have no money to get rid of McFarland. I think there was a rumour he was up for the Leicester position but didn't get it. I imagine both sides want to part ways but it has to be mutual because we cannot afford to pay out his contract.

Agree about how poorly we are coached though, I will be watching the AIL later and I'm certain I'll see two more disciplined sides.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

I’ve felt that way about Henderson for years. He has all the talent to have been a far better player than he turned out to be.

When he’s bothered he’s a massive difference maker at the highest levels, but he absolutely goes missing in games.

It was insanity to give McFarland a contract of that length back in 2022, but they’d probably have been better served paying McFarland to walk than signing Steven Kitshoff for example (not a criticism of Kitshoff).

That’s probably because of Sirianni?

I like McFarland but it’s not working out.

Dec Kidney to the rescue!

Honestly though the players need to take flak for that performance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’d be seriously critical of Iain Henderson too - a guy who has dined out on reputation for too long

Ulster fans will have seen more of him than I but I think that's unfair on him tbh. He's been absolutely excellent for Ireland in the very recent past.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Sirianni and I've been waiting for their star QB's regression, always thought he was overrated/given too much praise. Sad to see Kelce go out like he did though.

Anyway, McFarland has obviously phoned it in, but some players aren't good enough or just aren't improving in areas they should. Stockdale and Baloucoune's clumsiness are the standouts, but we have too many players in the squad like Rea (x2), Reffell, AOC who, despite the odd good performance, aren't able to take us to the next level. I even feel like some of our better players will need improving on, but I may just be being reactionary. In short, we have too many players who we can't rely on to take us out of the group stages never mind win a knockout in the champions cup, probably too many to replace with signings. Long-term, we need an academy capable of producing all sort of players consistently and strong AIL teams to develop them, but in the medium-term we may be stuck, especially with our finances.

Scrum is food right now. Every opposition coach must be licking his lips when he puts together our video analysis, and their front five are probably on the floor roaring with laughter.

I imagine Munster have dibs but it occurred to me that Dillane will be a free agent. He may not be world class but he's heads and shoulders above most of out forwards, and he would come straight in as first choice.

Hurts has talent. A game changer QB. Kelce bros. are elite.

Stockdale and Baloucoune. Game changers. You’d have to believe that if they had been coached by Lancaster for the past 6 years they would’ve improved and could have possibly become elite.

Nothing worse than wasted talent.

Baloucoune has something no winger in Ireland can compete with.

Dillane would be a coup for Ulster. Unlikely though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wonder what this weeks excuse will be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

ball kept bouncing on a grass pitch! We're not used to it...

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Honestly as far as I’m concerned McFarland should have been sacked before they even left the stadium tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Absolutely need to go. All of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

You’re playing with 14 men when you’ve Henderson on the field. The sooner he is put to pasture the better. Shocking that he started for Ireland in WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

How are Ulster so poor? A side with massive experience and international players. MacFarland should be shitcanned and bring in Richie Murphy or someone from within the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why would Richie murphy want it? May want to stay at 20s level and

They have some internationals but how many regular starting international players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

They've a world cup winning prop. A 70 test cap international lock and multiple other international players. Murphy may not want it, of course. He could not be any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Why dont Ulster and Ireland get Mark McCall back....a serial winner....David Humphries should be picking the phone up to him asap.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

When exactly?

I don’t think he’s a guy who can actually point to 5 or 6 massive Irish performances where he really delivered, and that’s going back 5 plus years.

They don't have many regular starting internationals though. Guys who are near automatic starters for their country. Very big difference between side full of guys who are first choice internationals and just capped players...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I think the point is that Ulster have players who are clearly playing many levels below their ability.

It's getting to the stage where people need to stop attending games. It's the only thing that works. Force the change.

Force what change though and what other changes are needed to get more home grown players developed?

• Advertisement

A refresh and new voices in the coaching set up is needed desperately.

Lowry, Hume and Baloucoune are as talented as any back in the country, but have been treading water for too long now. They're somewhat hamstrung by the poor platform they're getting from their forwards, but I'm convinced they're not playing to their potential either.

Advertisement