Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A midfielder and a free-taker are what is needed to make the team favourites for an All-Ireland, without them we might win an all-Ireland, with them we should win an all-Ireland.

When I watched the development team in Portarlington, I didn't see either. Frees were missed and we didn't have a dominant midfielder against Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Much better display today from the lads some lovely scores though I know we can't read much into these games but Longford will be a reasonable test next week .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Any new stand outs, with a bit about them, that look like they could be pushing for the panel?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

No surprise that Luke Breathanach has been mentioned took some good scores .We should see a couple at least get some league time and that will be a big step up from these games .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Genuine question.

Would your development squad or whatever it is called win the Tailteann Cup? I reckon ye'd go very close.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t see the team today actually beating either of last year's finalists for a start. Wouldn't read too much into an o byrne cup match it's not far off an ordinary challenge match .

About 4-5 years ago maybe, not so sure now. There was a number of younger players talked up back then. There does not seem to be the same level coming through now for a while - worryingly from a Dublin point of view.

I can't remember what year it was but the Dublin panel went on holidays (Jim Gavin era), Paul Clarke took charge for the O'Byrne Cup. And it was not even second string Dublin and they walked the competition. That was the real peak for me.

Edit - just noticed post 7000 - nearing Parnell Park capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

An all-time great retires.

One of the greatest free-takers to ever play the game, Dublin's leading scorer.

If it is the last minute of the All-Ireland final and you need a player from anytime in the past 50 years to take a free to win the game, you can only look at Dean Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭MacDanger

An absolutely cracking free taker and in fairness contributed a bit from play around 2016-18 (2+1 in 2016, 4 in 2017 & 2 in 2018).

As a Mayo fan, I'm glad to see the back of him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Advertisement

Deano gave us some fantastic memories , a great freetaker and he nailed the big ones when it really counted .He worked so hard on his game I think because as far as I remember he was off the panel for a bit and came back and the rest is history .I really wish him well and his family because the whole family his dad and wife have given so much to Dublin GAA over the years .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Definitely a guy who made the most of his ability through hard work and dedication. There have been more talented Dublin players who achieved a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dean Rock championship/league records. Amazingly same totals in championship and league. Dublin all time scorer in both championship & league. 3rd all time scorer in championship. Behind Cillian O'Connor and Colm Cooper.

2013 he played the super role. 2015 final he was harshly taken off, he won a free putting his body on the line. Cluxton converted to put Dublin 4-3 and was big turning point in game. The 2016 semi final for me was a turning point for him in a Dublin jersey as a freetaker. Kicked 10 from placed balls on top of 2 from ball. He also contributed more in finals scoring 1-14 from play.

Was noticeable had lost a yard of pace not that he was fastest. He went out on a high kicking the insurance point against kerry. A great way to finish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What can you say… apart from his obvious skill, drive, intelligence and ability… his composure, nerve and outstanding bravery when his team needed him… otherworldly not only in terms of football but otherworldly in terms of a sportsman, any sport, anywhere…

From the first minute of his career to the final kick he conducted himself outstandingly and gave 1000%…. A gem, also an absolutely incredible temperament, attitude and character..13-293 in 11 years of championship football….christ….306 scores in championship football.

8 all Ireland’s, a few all stars…. Conducted and conducts himself impeccably on and off the field….

Really apt and appropriate that his last touch as a Dublin player was to kick the winner in an AI final…. A privilege to have watched him.

a hell of a career….. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Thanks for everything Dean.

I remember watching Dean Rock when he was playing u21. Won v Donegal. He was a lot lighter then. But built himself up and improved his all round game. His auld fella said he’ was a better all round player than he was. Can’t get much better praise than that.

Dean will be a very hard player to replace. Most of the time I was tempted to mark him down for any free before he kicked it. The biggest surprise was if he missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

In terms of unearthing new players in the league. Are the top priorities a free taker and a midfielder to partner Fenton. I think if JMc stays on another year he will be used at half back because he doesn't have the legs for a midfield role and Howard will be pushed into a half forward position.

Could do with unearthing a couple of defenders as well if possible.If we had a couple of good man markers it might offset not having an out and out freetaker like Deano who you always fancied to knock them over.Mick Fitz will be another year older and if we meet Kerry with DC likely to get more out off him next time we will need options .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Dublin albeit quite an experimental side struggling against Longford, long spells without scoring.

Pretty poor today really passing and handling really poor .We never really used the strong wind in the second half to any effect. We seemed to over do things in the forward line especially in the first half .Second half when it was clear we needed a goal or two we couldn't seem to get the ball in quick and give us a chance before Longford had all their defence in place .Would have expecting N Scully and C Basquel to have been more prominent than they were .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Brutal day all round. Hurlers decisevly beaten by 10, footballers by six and the women being decisively outplayed by Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Wouldn't worry too much about it. For the footballers it might ease talk of splitting the county in 2.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

No it wont, Their are a few posters that will continue with that nonsense.

I would like to see McCarthy in that attacking FB role that Kelly does for Galway to see how he fares, might suit him as he gets older, and get a few extra years out of him at intercounty level.

I heard there was talk of splitting the cats in 9 ? 😂

Speaking of the cats, I wonder would it be possible for Dublin hurling to entice a few of the KK hurlers that don't make the panel to play for Dublin. Not much of a distance to travel, should up the level of hurling overall in theory.

There must be loads of Kilkenny players that fall through the cracks that would be of use to Dublin hurling?

Any truth in the talk that Pat Gilroy will not be involved this season ? .If true he will be a big loss .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

What do you mean, sure water carries are 10 a penny!!

I would say work commitments could be why not involved.

I can understand that ,was just wondering if it is actually true that he isn't involved .

• Advertisement

Would expect Theo Clancy to get a couple games. Liam Smith, Ben Millist and possibly Alex Gavin to get a chance. Eoin O'Dea from Na Fianna was injured last year is another option.

Post edited by Gael85 on

Advertisement