Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

Very true.

I worked in a few bars over the years and learned a lot about who was running them and how they were run.

I applaud entrepreneurialism and also the people who keep these places ticking over (the staff).

I think the general level of service in Cork is decent, but I think the costs have soared and there’s very little if anything being offered to the customer to mitigate the increase. I don’t want free food, but if you’re charging nearly seven euro for a pint (which many places do) then get you’d better have the fundamentals absolutely locked down.

When I enter a restaurant or a bar, and I pay for the food/beer the staff are not doing me a favour by serving it to me, I’m paying for it, the food and the service and the lights over my head and the music and the clean floors etc etc.

The scales must be balanced. If you need to increase the price of something from €12 to €15, fair enough, I have cost increases in my business too, but what do I get out of it if I pay more and get the same or less? How is that an attractive proposition for me (the customer)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Was the owner of nash 19 not running business for 30 years or so ?

There's not many incompetent people can stay in business for 30 years.

I thought it was just me.

My partner loved it I enjoyed the food. But I just couldn't connect with the place itself.

I think any small business that gets closed out solely due to an increase in minimum wage probably had no long term future anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Depends on how high the minimum wage gets I guess. An increase of €1.70 an hour as mentioned in the post would be €68 a day, for 20 staff that's €1360 a week, so just over €70,000 a year of a price increase. Now I'm not in the industry so I don't know how much turnover a business like that would have a year - €1m? One of the people I spoke with in Athlone was saying he'd have to charge €20 for a breakfast to make it worth his while, and nobody was going to pay that. I suppose things will find balance as time goes on but I do hate to see these local restaurants closing.

• Advertisement

People would pay €20 for a breakfast if the quality warranted a €20 charge.

I’m saying that was the solution to that Athlone guys problem, but the value of something is whatever people will pay for it.

Seeing places closing is not nice.

But I imagine it's a combination of many different components and not just an increase in minimum wage.

Yera sure look at perry street

They're charging about 18e for the "super perry" which bar the chips I'd consider a "normal" fry you would get in most places for a lot less.

Perry street is up and down very inconsistent and often not that particularly nice of a breakfast.

You can most of the time not get a seat in the place.

So I'd happily pay 20e for a breakfast that warranted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or Good Day Deli. People will pay a lot money if you have the right customer base and the location and food are considered worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If your working on a very tight margin it could be the difference between making a profit or a loss. I couldn't fathom running a restaurant or food business, the input costs are insane. Energy, rent, rates, insurance, wages, training, cleaning supplies, washroom supplies, till rolls, banking charges, VAT, accounting fees, payroll. I'm sure I'm missing a load there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I had lunch in the Opera House cafe this week, very small menu but the food was nice. Soup, sandwiches, (very big) sausage rolls & salad. There were five of us there & everyone was happy with the venue.

As I mentioned. I think it's a combination of the increase in all of the input costs you mention that are causing the majority of the issues for businesses.

It's not solely the increase in minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yes but you said if an increase in min wage is the problem a business has no long term future. Its more the tipping point/the straw that breaks the camels back. You can only increase your prices so much before your not filling seats.

I said if it was solely minimum wage.

But everything can be a tipping point. All the inputs you mentioned. You could choose any of them that tipped it over

But the reality is it's all the things. Not minimum wage specifically.

I always have a bit of a problem with people on moderate to high incomes (or any wage above minimum wage) complaining that minimum wage is too high.

A bit like when the lower tax band is widened or the threshold to enter taxation is increased, you hear the usual, "nothing for the middle income earner", which ignores the fact that everyone benifits from the lower rate reductions. That reads to me, that not only do I want more in my paycheck, I want extra that poorer people don't get! It's like it doesn't count if everyone gets it!

It's a strange one.

Considering the amount of people who are actually on minimum wage is only about 5-6%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Think ye might need a new thread for this lads 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

1.70 an hour increase is only 13.60 per person for an 8 hour shift I know it's still has to be absorbed by the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Water John

With labour costings in a business, one has to multiply the wage by 1.5 to look after PRSI, holidays etc. So €13.60 is about €20/hr when doing the calculations. That being said I believe everyone should be on the living wage a minimum.

Price point may be an issue in the city where there is a lot of close competition, definitely much less a factor outside of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭scrotist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Had a takeout from Haveli in Douglas. The place is just a takeaway now, tables pushed aside a bit, pretty much the same as always but no punters sitting down eating. .

Got our usual few dinners, for the family, and I thought it was a mistake before, but confirmed it's not...(this is the second time they've done it) got tikka masala sauce for one of my younger ones) Was charged the full price as if there was meat in it. So €12+ for a tub of sauce. No denying it was nice, but still. If there's a next time, I'll be asking for meat on the side if they're charging me full whack.

The amount of chicken has reduced in the mains, and was a bit stringy, obviously not their usual quality anymore.

Tbh I won't be going again, I couldn't afford it for a family takeout, unless it was a special occasion. Indian restaurants charging for rice on top of a fairly expensive main is something I could never fathom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

agree on the rice! Like a main in coriander takeaway is 19e and rice etc! It’s a real expensive takeway!

ate in the raven last wkend! Really like it there, nice and casual and the staff are lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

Has anyone been to Ballyvolane House near Castlelyons? Got a voucher as a gift and going next week. Looking forward to it but don’t know what to expect as I think it’s a set menu with no choice?

+1 for The Raven, the food is very tasty/quality and good value 👌

I'm a big fan of Indian food, but find it expensive in most places (see my dahl reviews!), with very little alternative choice outside the BIR style. I miss Iyer's!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

...ate in this (new?) restaurant the other day - Thindi - in Bishopstown, just across from the Bishopstown Pub fork... menu had Indian and Thai dishes (might be mistaken, but I think that it was a Thai restaurant earleir). We only had Indian food as the folks we were with wanted Indian and not much else was open. Now the food was not top notch authentic Indian fare, but not bad I must say, not like the usual - so it wasnt the ususal disappointing experience

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Thindi is run by by the same folks at camille thai. Its the same kitchen in Grange so assume its the same in bishopstown.

Have you tried "new Iyer's" yet? From my limited experience, it's no Iyer's, but it is pretty good.

• Advertisement

Not yet, I get weird vibes from the place, but must try it.

Advertisement