Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB device causing PC to shut down

Options
  • 20-01-2024 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

I am using Windows XP. I plugged a MP3 USB device into a usb port adapter on the computer, then the PC shut down by itself with no warning, then it boot looped upon manual restart.

Anyone any idea what caused this to happen?

Any suggestions for a fix?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Short somewhere.

Try a different USB port and Cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thanks Flinty997, so does it sound like it is a faulty USB port?

Will it stop boot looping if I just remove the USB device from the port?

We had machines at work that used to boot with some USB ports. Just stopped using the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Windows XP? how old is the PC you are using and how old is the MP3 player?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭User567363

I remember that there was a hp scanner once that if you plugged into a windows vista computer vista would automatically install the drivers and then just crash, and then just keep crashing half way through booting up, youd have to run a system restore to a point made before you connected the scanner

Might be a spin of from that

Maybe pick up a windows 10 computer for free at a recycling center and copy all the files from the xp computer to it, then bring the xp computer to the recycling center, should only cost e2 at the gate twice

• Advertisement

Does the MP3 player only work with XP?

PC is quite old indeed, think at least 16 years old. Mp3 is relatively new about 2 years old.

In that case consider upgrading from a relic to a new antique...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I thought we're done with xp for while now, well ... you must have good reasons.

Does it replicate, does PC boot normal without USB plugged in and does it crash if you plug USB again?

If able to boot up, can you see anything in the logs

XP 32 or 64bit ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement