Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Yep. I can't argue with any of that.

It is not efficient at the moment but it may offer a way forward for future television production, assuming one could clear out a lot of the dead wood on great terms and conditions above in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think RTÉ run into a problem. This isn't a commissioned programme. Do they tender for Today in eTenders?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Some gems in there. She's a master of talking a lot but saying nothing. (With due respect to her current illness preventing her doing either).

"We've taken the revised strategy, looked at it, and on the basis of what we had done, we will now revise that."

"We've been talking to staff, it's complex, a lot to digest, it's a plan that is based on no. of things - to secure RTE for the future, that's why we go to work every day, but has to be a diferent RTE, in current climate, we've had to have a refreshed report, revenue is falling, we've been spending time with stakeholders, there's a lot to talk about, RTE is complex, we have radio tv and online, so we have to get on with it. We're a proud nation of storytellers, that's what is at stake and what has to be nurtured. That's what the plan seeks to achieve."

"Our presenters are ambassadors for RTE and they are very cognisant of the role they play, they are valuable to RTE and also to the nation. But I agree that people find it difficult on pay, but we have a big job to do and future proof what the world thinks RTE should be. This strategy is about putting RTE on a stable financial path..."

She says one thing though that nobody could argue with (and this was 4 years ago):

"RTE cannot stay as it is. That is the majority internal view."

Well there goes another Tubs thread, I am coming back here to post! this time on his new column.

I was half way through my review when the close the thread FFS

So he starts of by basically making up some boring story of how he was in London and happened upon Virgin Media and his good friend Chris Evans whom he met on TLLS about his retirment from BBC, then he goes on to say how they became friends and he even filled in form him on the BBC... after he left the BBC! I know he did fill in but he did that before the interview on TLLS.

Then by happenstance he's invited to met in Chris while he's looking for work in London. He goes on the show that day... if you remember he tells a bland story about Bono. Then they are signing contracts in November, but sure Ryan leaves all of that to NK so perhaps he knew nothing of the deal! I not be surprised if Tubs has a contract with Paddy Power to do bingo every Wednesday night in Camden or some such place.

80 – Ghandi’s (Tubridy's) breakfast

Some quotes that make you think or not

For those of you who know me, it’s no surprise that I’d be more lounge and swing than punk, but I was intrigued.

and on risk taking

I’m not the world’s greatest risk taker but, as I now realise, life is not linear and sometimes the cosmos likes to nudge the nervous.

and on Sinead O'Connor and another bland and I believe made up story (We will never know)

Sinéad O’Connor – whom I loved – spoke to me two weeks before she died and suggested I had been mugged by God in a hoodie.

Oh my ...

Such a Sinéad story

... so Sinéad!

On where to live in London and that time way back when ...

filling in for Terry Wogan, Graham Norton and Chris Evans on BBC Radio 2, I always stayed in The Kensington

For the nerdy type

South Kensington is central, nerdy and very charming. I thought at first that this was the place for me.

The crime ridden streets weren't attactive enough

I traipsed around Putney, Clapham and beyond until the crime thriller I was reading changed everything.

on not getting the memo on JK Rowling

JK Rowling writes a great series of novels with Cormoran Strike as the main character. In The Silkworm, he pops into a Beatles-themed cafe at a Tube station in St John’s Wood – the iconic Abbey Road is a six-minute walk away.

By the way I watch Strike: The Silkworm ... absolute shite.

On shopping in London

But I am now very well acquainted with John Lewis, Argos and Mr Price.

On meeting the fans

said she was just off the phone to her mother in Galway who told her that ‘Ryan Tubridy has moved to London. You never know, you might meet him!’

Oh the craic please some find this Galway Girl

This was some craic. We did the necessary selfie to send home to the mammy in Galway and off we went after an amusing encounter for both of us.

More advise on London if your going

knowing the difference between Kensington and Clapham helped – there’s way more craic in Clapham.

Naming dropping

I presented a prize to Nadine Coyle

and on how friendly everyone was

Other recipients included Finbar Furey, Neil Jordan and Jeremy Irons so it was a great night. What really struck me, though, was how friendly everybody was.

On not getting the memo about Eamon Holmes

In fact, when I went on stage to present the award, there was a short film playing on screen and myself and Eamonn fell into conversation. It wasn’t long but he scribbled down his number on a scrap of paper and handed it to me saying: ‘If you need anything at all, call me.’ I won’t ever forget that act of kindness.

He then met Dermot Kennedy

A very Irish night in the heart of North London! I could see the city becoming home.

Oh and then its just bland about the last 2 weeks... like everyone he's

looking forward to work tomorrow!

Next Dee Frobes' Diary exclusive!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Eamon Ryan stonewalled when repeatedly pressed about which of the funding models for broadcasting he favoured on This Week earlier. Kept deflecting about the importance of making a call "in the first half of 2024". Didn't sound like they're anywhere near a decision tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RTE were supposed to come up with a rationalisation plan. All I've heard so far is a voluntary redundancy scheme,a pay cap for big earners and a huge sub from Government.

Might see them dropping the licence before an election I suppose. Doesn't seem to be working anymore anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ordinarily, I would have expected an attempt by the government to buy the next GE by abolishing the licence fee and implementing some kind of direct funding but the Immigration issue has become a much higher priority for the government and it may end the political careers of a lot of the current politicians. This makes RTE somewhat more valuable to the government so some laxity by RTE in the imposition of any rationalisation should be expected. The decision may be dumped on the next government. Any sign of Forbes yet?

Regards...jmcc

@political analyst I posted this on another thread I though you'd be interest. that doc had less than 41k viewer on RTÉ2 last week.

Top programme on RTÉ2 this week was Investec Champions Cup with 169k with First Dates getting 133k (Adults +15) last week.

All other shows under 90k

I though RTÉ2's Selling Ireland's Dream Homes was a repeat but I believe it was new, had just 55k, the only other 2 Irish programmes are repeats My Bungalow Bliss (71k) and Home Rescue (46k).

Great Australian Railway Journeys had 41k at number 20 meaning all other shows had under 41k viewers.

This is RTÉ2 for the last decade, meanwhile Bakhurst begins to actually look at where the audience is, well they aren't on RTÉ2. Also the only American imports on the top 20 are movies and the Golden Globes!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

In a country with a population of 4 and a half million, getting 41,000 viewers for a programme isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's less than 1% (plus I thought the population of Ireland was 6.5 million)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

I assumed it would be understood I was referring to the Republic, given that RTÉ is funded by licence fee payers in that jurisdiction.

Yes and no, it is bad, RTÉ2 has a 6.6% share of the audience, that is with sport across the year. It once had 10%.

You have to remember that not everyone is watch TV or Video or going to the cinema, we might have a pop of 5m or whatever but I'd hope that not everyone is watching TV even during prime time.

I think the suggestion is that TV has about 1m viewer during prime time. (6 to 11 at night).

So that 41k represents 4% of the viewing audience.

And to remember that Cinema, online viewing and rentals are not included in these figures (back in the day I'd love to know how many people rented a video out on a Friday or Saturday night, remember the queues for the latest release!).

______

Yesterday

Just to point out that View figures are complied by different companies BARB in the UK and TAMI in Ireland. Nothing to do with the License fee.

______

Yesterday

Kevin Bee is just repeating much of what Dee was saying.

______

Yesterday

Can't believe 2FM gets a young audience. Do kids even listen to radio anymore, nevermind 2FM?

If it's making money though,like every other radio station in the country they might as well keep it. It usually costs millions to keep it going however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

It is all Spotify here, the young wans don't know what 2FM is.

Maybe Kevin should drop into a few secondary schools and talk to young people.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Seems to me Bakhurst is determined to maintain the status quo. No sign of a rationalisation plan and looking forward to a new funding model from Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I have to concur with other folks, I don't listen to the radio, unless I'm in someone else's car. I'm always on spotify or deezer.

I suppose when 2FM is getting between €1 to €3 euros* out every license fee every year you'd consider that 2FM is making money. It's great to be able to make money and then receive a top up from public funding to balance your books. I wonder why 2FM needs such funding.

I mean if Kevin Bakhurst the "DIRECTOR GENERAL" says that 2FM is money making then it must be the case that it is also getting a yuff audience. I think he heard it from Dee Forbes, and possibly had a convo with Moya Doherty about it all, both of them would agree its profit making and a clear avenue to Yuff audiences. We shall say no more and agree in their absolute infallibility.

*2FM has been in receipt of license fee funding since 2011, in 2022 it got €2.60 from every licence up from €2.49 in 2021.

Perhaps last year Mr Bakhurst cut the license fee funding to the station in 2023 and cut its costs.

______

Yesterday

Here she is again if your interested, I attended this and I walked out of the interview disappointed, but also another man at the end was massively unimpressed by the interview. She really had too long of a honeymoon period.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

speaking of dee...has she resurfaced yet? or is it still all a bit like the hunt for red october?

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think it's time to accept she got away with it, she "resigned" when she was already on holiday leave at the end of her contract anyway, and even if she turned up at these hearings it'd be a waste of time anyway.

She was a total spoofer paid a very handsome wage for doing feck all.

It's the people who hired her who need to be questioned.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

So, the TV licence is to be replaced with a €15 monthly levy on broadband bills. This means RTE gets €20 extra a month per payee and no avoidance of payment. This should mean no more government bail outs? But will this actually be the case? Thoughts on this new development?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Tomorrow's SBP, their sub-headline says one of 3 options being looked at is a €15 monthly levy on all Broadband bills.

This government never fails to amaze me in their idiocy.

Well that's just all levels of stupidity - after all the crap that's happened they expect people to pay even more money and then there's a cohort of people who pay nothing as they don't have BB

• Registered Users Posts: 82,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There will be all levels of protest if they try to stick €15 on to broadband bills to keep crooked RTÉ afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Don't forget how will those who get a free TV licence get this? And what if you don't have broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps they will stick it on to mobile broadband too?

So if you are GoMo or 48.ie customer, your 9.99 or 12.99 per month will now be 24.99 or 27.99 per month?

Advertisement