Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That is some cod isn't it ,no word about the huge cost to farmers of bvd testing .What could a blue card cost in printing and posting but is it n't the plan by the dept that you will have to photagraph your calf also when born

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

As for An Post. They got their share of the gravy too. Some BS story that the samples were getting stuck in the sorting machines.

So parcel postage price to be paid instead of a letter…. The Cormac sample containers are tiny. Should make no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

But if the department don't need the blue card why would we? All the details you need are on your phone.

What would people need passports then for if people can have all details on their phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I'm sure that's not far away either, obviously security would be more important with the movement of people. Just wondering why would you be opposed to the idea of getting rid of the blue card?

• Advertisement

The very same reason people are against getting rid of cash ,what advantage is it to farmers to have no blue cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Cattle will be scanned like sheep in the mart and factory with reader and put into system to transfer from herd, there will be no need for the card, cattle Eid tags should have come in when the sheep came in and make TB testing very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭older by the day

Aren't you the smart fella. Problem is there are a lot of people not as smart as you. A lot of farmers like to write down details, and keep their blue cards like they are gold bars. When their is a mistake or a error in the registration of an animal the blue card is handy.

Now IL let you get back to your cyberspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Can those people not still write down numbers? Maybe they could use a book with a blue cover?

To be fair I think the older generation are not given enough credit for their resourcefulness and ability to adapt. I'm talking daily with farmers in their 70s and 80s who mange their farms with the aid of a computer and/or smart phone.

The amount of completely technology illiterate people is reducing and those who for whatever reason don't want to learn usually find some other way to cope either over the phone or through family members/advisors etc.

Post edited by emaherx on

Not having to search through them to find the couple going for sale.

What use are they now? One of their main functions was recording TB and Brucellosis testing but they've not been stamped in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ask Any board bia auditor about the amount of blue books still in use. The amount of white cards and the sheets from the registration book, sent in to register animals. Not so much in dairy farms. Still a lot of older farmers around, that like to do their own business, than asking relatives or having to get WiFi. Coverage is still bad in some places

Not having blue cards does not prevent the use of blue book or registering via the white cards.

I don't know anyone under 80 at this stage without a smart phone that isn't active on some form of social media. I know they exist but that group is getting small.

A printout of the herd profile a couple of times a year would be more useful than a bunch of cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a lad we sold calves to in the spring ring me over Christmas. He had sold some of them and told the buyer he could apply for the movement on line as he didn't want to look stupid. He hadn't a breeze. He was registered on agfood but never used it. He would be a good bit younger than me. He brought his phone up to me and I sorted it. I asked him would he be able do it on his own next time and he said not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Tell that that to the bord bia auditor next time he calls or indeed if you have a nitrates inspection. They always make a big deal about going through the blue cards.

???

How could they if they are done away with? Sounds like another benefit to not having them to me.

A printout of the current profile would be much simpler wouldn't it? High stocked elderly farmers in the QA scheme without internet would be a very small group.

Exactly. But it is a major crime at the moment. Just goes to show the hypocrisy of it all.

He found a way to be fair to him.

I know it may be an extra expense but a subscription to some of the farm packages would simplify movements and registrations compared with using the Agfood site, as well as keeping drug records and all things audit related together especially if working entirely on mobile.

You can still apply for movements by post can't you?

Ye afaik they send you the card type movement thing in 3 parts. Takes alot longer though. I like the way you know if a movement is permitted straight away on agfood

Post edited by whelan2 on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If there was an extra fiver in it, every farmer in the country would figure out the phone - whether they were young or old.

But that’s the point - there’s nothing extra for being tech savvy. Yes, you might manage the red tape side of things easier after you pay for the phone, the internet, the apps, and then spend a few hours feeling like a fool trying to figure it all out. Or have to ask someone to show you a few times.

Do the benefits outweigh the cost?

And that’s before you get to the principle - why should you go thru that pain to make life easier for the Dept, where individuals get all the above costs paid for them and paid training days to figure it all out.

A little bit of equity would go a long way.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Was there not some issue with registering calves on some of the farm software packages because of the new genomic scheme. Think I got a text message from the department about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Had a co op rep ring me on Friday seeing if I am still planning on becoming a milk supplier..she said its concerning for the Co ops with the amount of lads getting out via retirement and lack of new people coming along to replace them

Could be interesting timed ahead

I was only talking about blue cards being done away with which is separate from the DNA scheme issues.

Farm software still works for registrations, but if in DNA schemes then the calf may not appear in in the herd profile until the DNA has been confirmed as those calves are not considered fully registered anywhere until the DNA comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Tirlin higher powers still have themselves convinced milk supply will increase by 2.5% this year compared to last year and I think go up by a average of 1% a year, it's dillisional thinking especially with the cut to 220kgs this year.

They honestly think the majority of suppliers will go out and pay huge rental fees for extra land just to keep them in milk, can't see it myself personally anyone you'd be talking to are cutting back numbers and culling out the rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I bought a couple of cows off a man getting out this week. He was milking 100 2 years ago..then again a farm not too far away are spending guts of a million I'd say getting into 100 cows

Glanbia people on the ground say they're crying out for milk. If they paid properly it mightnt be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Was actually a tirlan rep that rang me funnily enough.Dairy conversion is a hard sell at the moment.Said she had alot of people pull plug on their plans in recent times

I often spend a lot of time showing the same farmers the same thing a couple of times, young and old in the end most are happier at the improved efficiency they receive and having access to data instantly without having to look through reams of paper. I've no issue showing anyone the same thing multiple times if it helps them and if they are stuck can help enter the data remotely for them or share a screen and go through step by step.

When people get used to it yes the benefits absolutely outway the costs, I've yet to come across a customer young or old who has not been happier to not have to keep the herd register once they got used to online, sure some are sceptical at the start as to whether or not it's sufficient.

Not that there is actually much to do with keeping the online register, except tick a little box to say you are using online and then keep movement permits/registrations in order which you have to do anyway. Then keep a log of drugs on paper or on PC or in the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

You couldn't afford it with building costs and the regulations. The conversion near me is financed from non farm income..same as buying land these or well established 300 cow plus herds is all can afford the eye watering capital expenditure to expand a farm now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

A million to get into 100 cows …..jaysus won’t be long going broke if true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Cows went way back on intakes with 3 days. Tank went down nearly 15%. Their dungs went very liquid and jet black. Intakes back up this am and tank recovering. Dungs back to correct color.

Any ideas what happened?

Advertisement