Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, my mistake, I should have said upgrade the marine warning to include some coastal counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Massive Thunder, lightning and flickering lights here in Achill now. Seems directly to the north of me. Didn't expect this before tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah, I am not expecting it to lead the table or anything, but it might be one of the more powerful storms in more recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

There sure was. Don't 'keel' over with the fright

Of course, Nacho. It sure looks like it. Trees aren't laden with leaves this time of year though so that's one plus. Another is that the worst of the winds occur outside of high tide on the west coast. There is an element of the unknown about a countrywide wind event though. I can't believe the GAA hasn't called off their club final games yet 🙄

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I thought for the last few storms met Eireann did away with the "countywide" basis.

For example Clifden and Portumna are worlds apart (in storm speak)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I really hope this turns out to be a major anticlimax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Borrisokane and Birr might be erased if the UKMO 00z is right

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

It needs to ... all we have got since that war started is winter winter winter and more winter ... last good summer was 2021 ... and all we get is lightning and rain and wind .... let us hope this is not a hurricane .... everyone is talking like it is but I do not see the official evidence yet ... either way still miserable unwanted weather ... give us something else ... but I do not think that will happen until this war ends ... it sucks in wind to fill the void caused by vacuum ... 31st December 2021 to May 2022 was the last time we had a really long spell of proper settled weather ...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Could be another Darwin type storm here in Limerick City with winds coming up the Estuary once again yikes. I remember Darwin very well, it blew the gutters off our roof, the noise sounded like constant grenades going off. 😬

Clare (410ft asl)

Storm Isha has the potential to generate some very damaging gusts overland during Sunday. The overnight model output varies to some degree regarding the location of strongest winds, but it all points to this being a notable storm mainly due to its wide geographic impact. Nowcast territory.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Latest satellite imagery. Isha is currently packing sustained wind speeds of 90+kmh.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I have upgraded the storm comparison table since I last posted it with lots more of the named storms that have impacted Ireland since naming began in 2015-16. Boards will compress the hell out of the image as I post it but oh well. The sustained winds counterpart is still in the works, been saying that for a few years now I know..

Using this table, the storms with the largest wind field or impacted the highest number of stations are:

Darwin (12 February 2014) had 23 of the 25 stations with yellow warranted gusts or greater.

Ali (19 September 2018), Ophelia (16 October 2017) and Erich (27 December 2013) had 22 of the 25 stations with yellow warranted wind gusts or greater.

Highest average max wind gust storms nationally:

Darwin 122 km/h

Ophelia 107 km/h

Doris (23 February 2017) 106 km/h

Erich 105 km/h

Ulli (03 January 2012) 104 km/h

Ali 103 km/h

I shall update on this again on Monday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

My Netatmo app showing 119 km/h gusts for me in Greystones later. Have not seen that (such a high windspeed) before!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Based on this mornings runs looks like we could see Donegal, Connacht, Much of Munster and south Leinster upgraded to a red.

UK Met Office must be thinking about it for Northern Ireland also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Just checked the gfs and it decreased gusts by 10 12mph overnight for Donegal .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Isha is after waking me up! Wasn't expecting the worst of her until much later.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would go red for Donegal, mayo, parts of Galway, possibly Clare, and isolated "tornadic streak" type red alert conditions are possible anywhere well exposed to SW-W winds. Various models picked up on this and have attempted to depict where these streaks may occur. But forecasting them is by no means an exact science. I do feel they will materialize, warnings associated will be of the "nowcast" variety.

The surface gradient may not be all that different from more moderate events, but the upper support is very strong and the dynamics will mix strong low level jet stream winds down near the ground. Worst conditions will be late afternoon but the southern inland tornadic wind streak potential may peak before the coastal wind maximum associated with windshift from SW to W (looks to be around 6-9 pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Arpege which looked way ott a few days ago now looks to have been on the money, a last minute shift north would be very welcome, total nowcast for the rest of the day. Very interesting how Met Eireann interpret it - somewhere is likely to end up with Red level conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's already getting windy in the Cork area. This event has sped up quite a bit its actually an afternoon/evening event now and will be clearing by around 10pm. Perhaps more dangerous now as more will be out in it!

Orange warnings should be brought forward by about 3 hours to reflect the system coming in quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 5 not that afraid

Appreciate people get annoyed about queries on flights here and that it's hard to say but struggling to make a call on this and would appreciate if there's is any advice other than wait and see what airline says. (It's Ryanair )

Has anyone flown in what these conditions look like they will be? Based on current models will a flight landing in Dublin around 1am miss the worst or likely to be cancelled, heavily delayed, or do they usually just plough through unless there's a red?

Can change the flight for reasonable price but it's another night of accom and another day of leave from work. Ryanair unlikely to update until late in the day so would prefer not to make unnecessary journey to airport with babies if highly likely we won't get away. No worries if can't say, Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I am very surprised with the tempo of this in cork already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Yes it's the overland gusts shrown right across the Midlands that's most concerning from a damage and risk to life point of view. 90 or 100km gusts in the middle of the country would do 10 times the damage of 130km in the North west.

I don't recall any storms in recent years with such strong and widespread inland gusts?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Red marine warnings now extended covering coasts from Clare to Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The worst of it for Dublin looks like being 7pm to around 11pm. It looks like being a windy flight but shouldn't be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Fermoy here and same. One gust was house rattling

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Gusts sounding quite frequent and a constant drone of wind already outside my window in south Dublin @08:24!

When are we expecting the worst of this in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I travel quite a bit for work, and I’ve been cancelled/delayed/diverted quite a bit as a result.

it’s far too early to say what’ll happen re Dublin Airport and a flight tonight. Landing conditions are likely to be ok, The biggest factor for a later flight is actually whether or not your crew and plane can be in the right place for your flight to take place. If they’re subject to significant delays and get displaced the airline might decide operationally to cancel an over and back from their base to somewhere to get everyone in position for later flights. That might work in your favour. Equally they might keep chasing the schedule and run your flight 2 hours late.

if you look up your flight on flightradar24.com you’ll be able to see the plane that’s planned for use, click on this to see where it’s going today. It might be flying around Europe with little risk to its schedule from an Ireland storm, or it might be doing stansted to Dublin all day and going all over the shop as the day progresses.

Some airlines will start operationally cancelling flights if congestion builds. KLM and AL in my experience are good for cancelling early if they’re gonna. BA are good for having a standby crew, I’ve been surprised by on time flights with a late change in plane when the intended inbound craft is delayed. Ryanair ….. well they might cancel it when you’ve been sitting through a 1 hr delay already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

In the SW here and there's been constant strong wind with regular squally gusts since at least 06:30 with no sign of it moving away.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Very quiet in north kildare. A miserable day but not a storm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement