Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Not sure about Cork and Shannon, but for whatever reason, Dublin Airport is seemingly immune to big winds so sub 100 km/h is definitely possible.

Going by Sryan's table, DA barely ever registers yellow level gusts no matter what the models or warnings say the last few years.

Maybe ignoring most output and sticking with one that isn't that wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If the chart posted for pressure gradient west of Ireland now is accurate, this will pack a severe punch in the inland south, see how tight the gradient is well to the south of the low centre (980-995), if that's real and holds together, the peak winds will be in that part of the circulation, with a second wind peak developing from the later windshift. I am looking for any clues from marine reports and satellite on how tight the gradient is now; models tend to smooth out these variations -- anyway, I doubt that this will be an underperformer. Its antecedent energy across N America overperformed several times, and it will be feeding on a geomagnetic energy peak today. I would be more focused on variations place to place than overall under or over performance. Some places will get a severe outcome from this. Our thread is going to be a big help in any nowcasting efforts later (not quite nowcasting but 1-2 hours lead time).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

One of the clubs in the finals today is from East Galway - will the GAA cancel? They'll hardly expect every supporter to stay at home, likely be thousands driving home during the red warning. And unlike other storms, this may not just be West Galway, one of those nasty inland streaks could well be through Galway Bay and inland.

Interesting what the GAA do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I am never quite sure which counties are covered by inland South?! I would guess Tipperary,north cork, kilkenny, and Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭pureza

Red from Met Éireann now for Galway Mayo and Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Extremely strong winds in Farranfore Kerry. If this storm isn't kicking in until 5pm (and its only 9.30 now) its going to be a long day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just saw a post on Cork Safety Alerts that there are power outages in the city already….of course might have nothing to do with weather, it’s not even that bad yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Wind slowly building in Clare. There seems to have been a lot of rain last night. Despite the recent dry spell there is some flooding in fields already. Due to the weekend and mid winter with no leaves on trees, maybe impact of the wind may be minimised to power outages. I wonder if flooding could be the major impact from this storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭secman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've to go into Tralee in an hour . I'll get my kite out 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Winds easily at high end yellow at least in cork city already I would think, strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

⚠️

Status Red - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Storm Isha will bring extremely strong and gusty southwest winds with severe and destructive gusts, particularly in coastal and exposed areas.

• Impacts:

• • Dangerous coastal conditions with high waves
    • • Treacherous travelling conditions
    • • Risk of significant and widespread power outages
    • Valid: 17:00 Sunday 21/01/2024 to 21:00 Sunday 21/01/2024
    • Issued: 09:06 Sunday 21/01/2024

Status Red - Wind warning for Donegal

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Storm Isha will bring extremely strong and gusty southwest winds with severe and destructive gusts, particularly in coastal and exposed areas.

• Impacts:

• • Dangerous coastal conditions with high waves
    • • Treacherous travelling conditions
    • • Risk of significant and widespread power outages
    • Valid: 21:00 Sunday 21/01/2024 to 01:00 Monday 22/01/2024
    • Issued: 09:04 Saturday 20/01/2024
    • Updated: 09:06 Sunday 21/01/2024

South coast going to be battered, should be red there too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah yes I remember back in those days well Jim. Back when men were men. Sure you had to avoid the odd Pterosaur swooping down or the rampaging Triceratops but the weather was never an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

OK..This was a Red warning post but I was a page behind ... Nevermind 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

My little weather station is giving me 992mb west of Ballincollig, we are wide open to SW winds in the valley here it’s fairly gusty already!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

There is a large Swimming gala on Limerick today until after 5pm. Hundreds of children from all around the country at it. No sign of it being cancelled. Lots of parents talking about leaving soon even though they will be fined if their child doesn't swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Some very heavy rain this morning. We always pay for any settled weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stormyhead

No one was forecsting a storm in the Kildare area at 8.40am this morning. Not until later this afternoon. But you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Bad form by the Gaa. They should have called them off last night.

Thousands of supporters already on route to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Looks like MÈ are underestimating it for Munster especially Clare, Kerry, West Cork???

theyll be first to be hit

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Severe gusts in westmayo all morning,would imagine there will be little or no sporting activities going ahead in Westport area today anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Nanny state to the extreme. Pandemic lockdowns have messed with people. Perfer to hide under the bed now at a puff of wind

Yep on the coasts. C'mon Met, get that red pen out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Orange is probably about right. Of course could be red conditions in isolated areas which are impossible to predict. Time will tell anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Maybe the reason the GAA have not cancelled is that Thomas's from Galway are on at 1.30. Finished by 3.00 and home around 5. Tight but borderline call. Other teams locations are still in orange

Advertisement