Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Crossing the Mayor Street Bridge at the docklands with a buggy about half hour ago I was stopped dead by a good lengthy gust of wind. Couldn't move. Long before the main event kicks in. Lots of energy available for sure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

@Shauns_aviation on Twitter is a good account for see flights rerouting and landing elsewhere due to winds. Good few happened already, regional planes. Considering it hasn’t hit Dublin yet could be messy later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭secman

Basically 2 parishes playing against each other . It's not nearly as big outside the 2 parish as you believe it to be, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lads will ye feck off with the GAA shite talk! I'd to listen to enough of that down the pub last night.

Other forums are available yano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This may sound weird but what I notice about this storm already is that it sounds much louder than the gusts I am actually feeling on the ground. It's like there is very high wind about 100m up but it has yet to hit the ground level. It does sound angry up there. There is very much an ebb and flow to it too. It can be windy and wet one minute and then relatively calm/dry soon after. I think we are in for an interesting afternoon.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jeez it's getting stormy already. I usually like a good storm, but I have to admit I am a bit concerned about this one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gusts of 70-80 here in Kildare now. A lot windier than i thought so early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Yes and it's their choice to travel, or not, today.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Trees down in wicklow already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

Agree nacho. It’s a nasty old day here in north Clare already. Not seriously stormy but we’re 6-8 hours if the peak here so it’s bit very reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think there is a danger people wont hear about the warnings as its the weekend and media dont seem to be reporting much about it. Due to the past people often ignore the warnings aswell which is dangerous.

I always find the weather thread on boards fairly accurate - I learn more here about weather events than met eireann or the media. If I wasnt on here though I wouldnt have heard much about this weather event in fairness. So basically I think GAA should cancel all events to prevent an accident of those who are not informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well 4 parishes actually and the numbers watching on tg4 are always big too. Its not a local junior soccer match is the point and the venue which is the crucial bit is the best in the country. Anyway like i said its not the players or the stadium that will be the issue. its the people travelling. Should the gaa take that out of peoples hands by cancelling is the question and I am of the view they should personally. People will travel given how big a day it is for their local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

90kph at Casement already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Covid19

I'm curious about all the posts about how gusty it's getting in and around Dublin. In Carrick on Shannon now, just a normal, windy but wet, day here. A few gusts, but nothing too serious.

I live near Knock Airport, so heading back soon. I live on an exposed hill, so not looking forward to a night of crashing and creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

trees and cables down in cork city already… can no longer share X posts it seems, won’t allow it for me anyway have to screenshot

You can be sure the GAA are liaising with the clubs and other relevant stakeholders as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

I know the majority of the country is in orange territory but many invaded will be getting guys that they would but normally encounter. Here in the west, anything that can be blown over or uprooted probably ahead has been but that may not be true inland.

IMHO the general guidance should have been to get acting you need out of the way this morning and from lunchtime onwards, stay home. Essential journeys only.

when you put in the link change the x.com part to twitter.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Recent 45kts / 83.36 kmph recorded at waterford airport. 46kts 85 kmph about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WestClareGal

It is as dark in West Clare. I'm right on the estuary and have a bad feeling about this one. Darwin absolutely smacked us upside down and I feel this one is going to do the same. Charging up everything as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

On a very exposed part of south coast (nearest town is Kinsale). Our house is battered by wind on the best of days. It is interesting reading the reports of unusual wind gusts elsewhere in the country because there has been nothing unusual here so far today. In fact yesterday morning/early afternoon was much worse! Still we are preparing for things to get bad later and hoping that’s it’s nothing like Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Covid19

Ehh, I think you'll find he's correct. There is another thread for the circumstances around the storm. This thread is, and I stand corrected, for the discussion of the storm itself.

Or, maybe I'm just back seat modding..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As others have pleaded, can the gaa posters please make their way to the DEDICATED gaa forum and not this weather thread. Please and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Dublin airport quite affected already with the winds, loads of go arounds, diversions to Belfast/Shannon and departures on hold also

I fully expect it to be called off.

However part of me wants it to go ahead, something to watch for the afternoon.

If the power holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

We've had the lights on here in Limerick City Suburbs all morning. There is an ominous feel about it. Just as there was an ominous feel about Darwin (I sincerely hope my "ominous vibes" are completely wrong).

• Advertisement
Advertisement