Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Already upgraded to red for Mayo, Galway and Donegal.

Meanwhile here, Mayo/Roscommon border:

So it begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

😲

Do all the usual checks water / oil etc. Make sure your spare tyre is in good shape.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Plenty of go arounds at Dublin Airport already

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The various models continue to differ slightly on where the strongest gusts will be concentrated, suffice to say severe gusts of 130 to 140+kmh could occur just about anywhere. The storm is still 6-7 hours away from landing off our northwest coast.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Just drove along the Prom in Galway. Wild enough but not too bad. Road closed from Seapoint roundabout on.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Earlier question about map boundaries, use cities not counties by names in posted watch area. (Cork-Galway-Dundalk-Wexford) ... watch period has just started, will advise if I see it at warning criteria.

Would expect a second watch to apply to inland north 1500 to 1900 (cold front of system).

When looking at guidance for 950 b winds, note height is only a bit above relatively low hills in central Ireland, as surface pressure will be 980 there. So guidance is showing generally 65-80 knot winds developing at basically hilltop height, obviously ground response will vary according to exposure, slope and any convection in vicinity. This is why the watch issued ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Torro

Tornado Watch+16:00 GMT Sun 21 Jan 2024 – 23:00 GMT Sun 21 Jan 2024

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Highest gust 96 km/h at Belmullet follwed by 93 km/h at Casement, Mace Head and Roches Point in 1200 reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭pad199207

94 now at Casement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will keep an eye on this. Off to a kids indoor hockey tournament now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Couple of big flashes of lightning here on the south Cork coast just now

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I see they're doing a live update feed on the RTE app. The headline at the top saying the warnings currently in place will be replaced by stronger ones. But there's no indication in the updates themselves where that info came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Max wind gusts and sustained winds for Irish stations for Isha as of midday. Isha remains significantly offshore and the worst is expected during the evening and night hours.

Belmullet 106 km/h top gust

Roches Point 80 km/h top sustained wind so far

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That Harmonie run- if it's correct- is a bit strange/unusual. I will have stronger winds than some western coastal regions. It's not often that happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Just back from a walk with the dog. Genuinely being blown all around the place first time I can remember that in a while and the storm hasn't even arrived yet.

I'm no expert but I think we are going to see extensive damage to property this evening given the force of this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I think it's poorly worded but they mean that the current warnings (yellow) will be replaced by orange/red later. None of the statements from the National Emergency Group or Met Eireann mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It seems to have calmed down a bit in Galway. Early days.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭pureza

A few gusts above 80kmh atm in Arklow

Lots above 70kmh

It's howling. Sw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some very cold cloud tops in the convection incoming. Storm will continue to deepen as it passes the NW coast. Latest ECM more blanket gusting 100 to 110 km/h across the country this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

That's on them. There has to be a bit of common sense applied by Joe Public too

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rain has been battering off the window for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

This is Ireland. Common sense isn't very common

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Post some pics of Coomenole and Clogher if you do. Spend alot of time there during the summer months. Winter storms must be so sight there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'd say Belmullet and Malin Head will see very high gusts but elsewhere bar Mace Head 110kph.

Probably 100s of thousands of power cuts. Charge those phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tramore prom still open, tides are not very high at the moment 3.3m and it's not coinciding with the high winds. Not much happening

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cashcow

Strong winds here in Belmullet on an exposed site. Like a normal storm so far, wind is dropping off to almost calmness every few minutes and building back up again after 10 or so seconds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Winds picking up considerably here in Kerry, squally rain. Looks like very heavy rain incoming or squall line feature for the SW soon.

63knts gust earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Newport furnace exceed 130km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Out of curiosity, is this an actual weather station or is it a home set-up? Actually, what might some of you learned people on here recommend if you did want to buy something for home re weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Exact same here outside Newport. About 55m asl but the land from the coast up to us channels the wind directly at us. Some serious gusts bending in the back doors there and now dropped off a bit.

I'm genuinely not looking forward to the peak of it. We're in a dormer house and you can hear the wind throughout the whole house.

Advertisement