Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explosion in Dublin City centre hostel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Returned to his home country so he can jump on the plane and come back the next day? We'd basically just be giving him a free flight home for a brief holiday there.

Why would he bother presenting as an asylum seeker? He's an EU citizen and can freely travel within the EU. Also, what does previous mean? EU citizens aren't vetted before entering another EU country and even EU citizens with criminal records are allowed travel within the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So if I travel to, Italy, France etc I will need no proof of identification. Nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The people screaming about vetting usually cannot gain employment in our full employment economy

Your the one claiming tourists and asylum seekers with no documentation are the same.

Just a yes or no. Please 🙏

Do you think anyone presenting with no documentation after disembarking from a plane should be allowed entry to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You are saying he should have have been deported because he accessed homeless services. Makes no sense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Of course I think Ireland should enforce our current laws, what's the point in having laws if they don't bother enforcing them. So if someone arrives with no documentation and requests asylum then that request has to be processed and can’t be ignored.

What did he work at since entering the country. Was he a skilled worker or just a part time worker.

But why, and this is the major question.

Why do they not provide the documentation that they used to board the flight.

Thats nothing to do with my point. There is no reason at all for deporting him solely because he accessed homeless services.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Your not going off topic at all, it's All relevant. I have actually read this before. My only thing with this is that it opens the door to migrants who want to enter the country for different means or have something to hide and are not genuinely seeking asylum. This is no fault of genuine refugees who have risked their lives but the fault of a total inept government who have no consideration for the country or its citizens. In my view all taking of asylum seekers with no documentation should be stopped ASAP until proper holding facilities near airports and ports are put in place and a proper working immigration control system set up. The replacement of migrants into Irish communities is totally unacceptable why some are awaiting investigations into their claims for asylum. As I said this is by no means the fault of genuine refugees but the fault of a totally clueless government. In my opinion this is the cause of alot of the unrest were seeing around the country at the moment.

My point is if he was on the streets for 8 years as posted yesterday and was acquiring homeless services he wasn't fit to support himself and was probably on benefits so should of been making his pipe bomb I'm his own country because he should of been deported along time ago.

It is off topic. Not sure what asylum seekers have to do with Ezu citizens. If you're fleeing from prosecution or fleeing a war zone are you really going to wait around months to wait for a passport to come through? I think that's a fairly ridiculous. Imagine people in Ukraine who didn't have passports the day Russia invaded. "Oh well, better just wait here a few months and wait until my passport is issued before leaving." At the end of the day, the law is the law and all Europeam countries have signed up to these laws. I don't think they will be changing anytime soon.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There are other threads that discuss asylum seekers and refugees.

They have been doing so for a long time and nobody has come up with a solution.

We have heard no new information about the subject of the thread overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

So if you have a family with parents born abroad and with children born in Ireland accessing homeless services , should they be deported?

If you have an individual on a disability payment accessing homeless services and born abroad , should they be deported?

Was he married and how many children has he here.

Was he injured at work and that's how he ended up on the streets.

What was the circumstances. Let me know and we will see if I need to retract.

What's his excuse for the pipe bomb. You seemed to have preferred not to comment on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Have you a link to the law? I always assumed that was for entry into the EU (could be just specific to Schengen area) for non EU nationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Wrong.

Freedom of movement in the EU (citizensinformation.ie)

Your right to stay in an EU, EEA country or Switzerland for up to 90 days could be cancelled if you become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the member state. If you have recently moved to Ireland, have not been able to find work, and have no money to support yourself, the Irish state does not have to pay you social assistance.

and

If you want to remain in an EU, EEA state or Switzerland for more than 90 days, you may be asked to show that you are:

In employment

Self-employed

A full time student with health insurance and money to support yourself

You have money to support yourself and health insurance (for you and your family) without state assistance

Imagine if these rules were actually enforced? We all know they are not being enforced on any scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

According to current law, yes: children born here are not automatically Irish citizens.

And their hone country is responsible for providing disability supports.

(I think the law is an unenforceable ass, but that's what it says)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Yes, and yes.

Ireland is not obliged to cater for the world's poor. We already pay a handsome amount in Foreign Aid and now EU funds to assist other nations in bother.

It's one or the other. Paying other nations or looking after their citizens here. Can't do both.

Does anyone know if this person was claiming welfare or how long for? I'm pretty sure no one know his background so making things up just to fit a narrative isn't really much help.

So we can barely provide disability supports for our own at the moment and you think we should start piling more onto the lists.

Some craic yous are, like that idiot MM on the radio now talking about how we have a five fold increase in Ips coming into the country and he's promised accommodation for all with the building starting shortly.

No word of the services needed for this being seriously upgraded. What about schools, health care and training.

Totally out of touch with what this country needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Since this thread has gone quiet i assume the tabloids had no updates on this story today.

Agreed totally, only facts we have is he had a bomb and blew only himself up thank god. Let's hope the true facts come out.

Why the **** would he come here on a work visa in the first place? Do you not know how the EU works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's not what I said at all. I think it's an unenforceable law, not a bad one in principle.

It sounds good in theory: if an EU citizen cannot support themselves within 90 (or even 180) days of arrival, then we send them home. Simples. But then you think about all the practical implications. eg

Next week (after a holiday with the family) they hop back on a plane, and the 90 day clock starts ticking again.

Their kids in Ireland are traumatised because they lose access to their parent(s). Maybe the kids can be send back with them, maybe they can't (if the parents home country has a different approach to foreign birth registration).

The rules apply equally to a person who has never worked, and a person who has lived and worked here in a professional job for 30 years. Even to ones who got injured in the course of working here and cannot work anymore due to it.

They also apply to adults born elsewhere in the EU but who came here as very small children and have never lived elsewhere. They have a passport from where they were born. Some even have Irish parents - but those parents never registered them as a foreign-birth. And due to crappy Irish record keeping, they cannot get the birth-cert needed to prove their parents were Irish (yes, this case does happen, including to the man who snores in my bed!).

The "corner cases" like that go on and on. So the law is effectively bunk, because of all the exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That doesn't prove anything though. He has been in the state 8 years.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Thanks, hopefully all the details are out soon.

Advertisement