Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

While I don’t think it’s fair to attack individual players there is no escaping that this muster team is very poor when compared with times gone by. The first 15 when everyone’s fit is decent if that will ever happen again.

They did excellent to win the URC last year, like let’s be real, did any of us expect to beat Leinster in the quarterfinal ? I didn’t anyway. It was unexpected, welcome mind you, but unexpected.

Northampton were down to 13 players for 8 full mins, and 14 for what, 45 mins? There’s no excuse for Munster not to have won that game, let alone an excuse to blow the lead they amassed.

Shit happens in rugby, it’s just happening too often now for Munster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah look, there are definitely legitimate criticisms that can be levelled at this Munster team.

I just find it frustrating when 1 or 2 Leinster fans come into this thread after losses (like yesterday) but are nowhere to be seen after good performances and results (like last weekend).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

On the conditions yes they were crap ….for both sides …..not overly critical of Crowley but last night showed he still has a lot to learn ….he failed to grab the game ..exert control and play smart rugby when we needed it in second half …..he was great last week when things were motoring well but this week in second half he was way off what we needed ….Northampton and there 10 played smart rugby in the conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Missed the game yesterday. Just watched it back on record this morning. Still trying to figure out how they lost it. First of all, great credit must go to Northampton. They kept themselves in the game with penalties and one outstanding drop goal. I thought they were playing for a losing bonus point and had themselves thought the match was lost. They were good enough to take the winning try when the opportunity arose. They are top of the Premiership and one of the top seeds in Europe so fair play.

Munster will be kicking themselves. But, they were in all likelihood going away next anyway, so hopefully this will stand to them. Their away form is outstanding. I thought Crowley was good with some daft decisions. But he’s young. Personally I think he’s overplayed for a guy of his age, probably due to no viable alternative due to injuries. But he’s the best OH around in my opinion. There’s a reason ROG tried to poach him a few years ago.

I’m always slow to criticise any individual players. I have a feeling it’s just a collective philosophy to go for a winning bonus point try, which led to a loss against a different philosophy of Northampton going for a losing bonus point and winning. It just panned out that way.

Anyway, I’ll be shouting at my TV supporting Munster in the next round as per. At least we’re not in Ulster’s position. Now that’s a real mystery and a an awful shame to have only two Irish provinces in the knockout stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

The only differences being

1. no or minimal contact with the scoring players
    2. no reaction from the player, no blood, no stretcher, no review by the officials. But other than that almost identical to the Ahern situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Firstly, why do genuine posters engage with the seagulls, their one and only purpose is the crap all over the thread. You're giving them the attention they crave.

The game.

I had a bad feeling when I saw we kicked off with the wind, I knew we'd be playing against a stronger wind and rain around the 7 O'C mark which would coincide with us using our bench. Losing Ahern & POM through injury didn't help.

Saints just played the ball in our half and they got a penalty, DG ( I love a good DG) and penalty that was like a sucker punch to us.

Losing Murray before the game meant an injured Casey had to play for a longer than would have been the case if Murray was available.

Anyway, as of now I think we're away to Saints, I'd like another crack of them , especially if we have a few of the injured players back by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Are La Rochelle or Sale not getting in there after today maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Happyhouse22

No, whichever wins will be in a higher tier and Leicester should drop down with the other 4th seeds (which I have already accounted for)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think Rowntree's bench selection has to be questioned. He is obviously limited in what he can do in the front row but he has options in the back row and never elects to use them. How many times is he going to bring on Gleeson and Kendellan, watch the pack wilt and then go and pick the exact same bench the following week? He has picked those two as cover 5 times since the first Leinster game and 4 of those times Munster have capitulated in the final 20 minutes. Of the 16 second row and back row bench slots that have been available in that time, Kendellan and Gleeson have gotten 13 of them.

Is Quinn injured? Why has he not featured at all this season? He is older, more developed, a stronger carrier at this level (for now) and more experienced than Gleeson, yet he's not even worth a single bench slot in a URC game? Okeke has a genuinely stand out game in the champions cup which was notable for his aggressive effective carrying and then never again features in a competitive game for Munster. O'Sullivan is a relatively senior player who has been stuck playing AIL since his return from injury in November.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Frankly that means you're picking the wrong gameplan for this time of year then. It's not a useful excuse.

Rowntree seemed incredibly frustrated with the players and suggested they weren't even following the gameplan they were supposed to. Seems the on field leadership is a bit chaotic.

• Advertisement

But you also need continuity in gameplan. I'd still back this Munster team to knit it all together when 1) we start getting some players back from injury and 2) when the weather starts to get better.

With regards leadership, we've been missing POM tho. Pretty sure we were winning 20-10 when he went off injured. I dare say we'd have won that game if he stayed on the pitch. I feel the same way with regards a couple of other games this season. We've had leads in a lot of those games, and things fell away cos we just don't have th depth to sustain things.

But like, if the OP of that post is only going to come into the Munster thread after a loss and talk about them being an unbelievably average team, what reaction do they expect?

The wind was very noticeable on some of the box kicks. Thought Casey did very well with some of his exiting, he put in 2 crackers early on. Felt at HT we'd hopefully start to pull away, we just couldn't shake them off, and they kept within striking distance thru penalties and then struck.

Thought their first try was so poor from Jager.

Frisch out best player for me, thought he was excellent, even in defeat. Hodnett too.

Munster are an average team though. They are 4-1-4 in the URC and in 9th and 1-1-2 in Europe and 4th in their pool. The question is why.

Playing a gameplan that only works in spring rugby is bold when you are setting yourselves up to risk not having any meaningful games by then. The team falling apart cause one player isn't there is not indicative of a good squad either. The coach coming out and saying they're doing the opposite of what was discussed is damning.

If you think it'll all come good post 6N then fine. You're certainly more confident of that than I would be.

They're playing the gameplan with guys way down the depth chart. We again had to have a 19 year-old backrow who only did his Leaving Cert last year come on before half time and move Coombes to the 2nd row again; that's how short we are at 2nd row.

Any of Kleyn, Snyman, Edogbo or even Fineen Wycherley would make difference.

I don't expect them to go deep in Europe this season, but they absolutely could be in the shake-up for the URC again.

Some of those games were lost by tiny tiny margins and with a very depleted squad.

Will we turn it around? god only knows but last year shows/proves with a full squad available to us we can beat the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Did the weather significantly worsen in that second half? At half time, the TNT panel had ditched the brollies, and it looked dry and calm. But by the time Smith hit his drop goal, it seemed as though Northampton had the tail end of a tropical storm behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

It worked at the end of last season against many so called superior opponents. Why? Player availability is a good starting point.

All teams, even Leinster struggle without their top players. Think of a leinster squad playing the top premiership team without porter, Sheehan/ kelleher, ryan, McCarthy, park, Keenan, and then to lose Baird at 35 mins

munster were without kilcoyne, Barron, Edogbo, Klyne, RG snyman, Murray, Haley, last night and who would have all made last nights squad , then lost Ahearne in first half.

Now maybe Leinster would have had better players coming into the squad , but you mist admit it wouldn’t look good , would it ?

might that explain the why ?

sometimes the simple answer is the correct answer.

From my vantage point, the rain definitely looked to worsen alright. It got extremely bad in patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

the rain was very heavy in the 2nd half. Some racket from the roof of the stand as it fell

got soaked going to the car afterwards

I could answer simply, if flippantly, in return that the why is they played against 14 men for 55 mins in one match and against a second string team in another. It wasn’t a masterplan (albeit the final was exceptional)

Injuries didn’t cause Munster to “kick when they should run and run when they should kick” as per Rowntree. The second row issues are huge and will obviously have a big impact. But I don’t think they’re suddenly going to play a lot smarter if Kleyn/Snyman returns. They’ll just be able to get out of situations more.

1.5 seasons into Rowntree you have to ask what exactly is it Munster are trying to do.

• Advertisement

So with a patch-quilt pack, inexperienced captain and young out-half, we focused too much on getting the BP and let the team with an increasing advantage via the weather chip back into the game. A team who are <checks notes> ah yes, top of the Premiership.

Massively disappointing but certainly an identifiable lesson to learn.

Is Kleyn gone for the season?

Very few Munster fans are asking what the tean are trying to do.

I'd be confident enough (and please correct me if I am not speaking on your behalf) that a lot more fans are asking why so many fans of another province go out of their way to post the most biased and negative interpretation of recent events, the day after a disappointing loss.

Honestly, what are you hoping to achieve here? Two world-cup winning locks won't make the team play smarter? Did you actually read those words before you hit post? What on earth motivates someone of presumably reasonable intelligence to post such transparent nonsense?

This in a nutshell, guys moaning about Munster bad, Munster bad, Munster bad while ignoring the injuries, particularly to our 2nd row.

Again, we showed last year that with a full deck to pick from we can run with the rest.

It absolutely changed for the worst, weather forecast yesterday had strong winds and rain coming in around 7.

That alone wasn't the reason we lost but it was a factor when you're down a lock and playing against a strong wind against a team with a good defense

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

to “kick when they should run and run when they should kick” as per Rowntree.While I can admire the honesty in that comment id prefer the coach watching the game plan literally unfold before them to get the ex international flyhalf off the bench earlier with the message to correct the tactics as best they could. Casey was Obv struggling and the reluctance to bring on PP also was a bit disappointing. I realise that’s all easy with hindsight, but second half collapses should be firmly on the coaches radar at the mo and to act so late is baffling.

You're assuming, incorrectly I think that, that comment was solely aimed at Crowley.

But yes, I'd have had Joey on (instead of Nankivell) a few minutes earlier, if only as a last throw of the dice, just like I thought Farrell should have taken Sexon off in the RWC QF when Sexton was clearly out on his feet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Any word on Ahern? He looked in a bad way coming off. Should be a hefty ban for the Northampton lad. Cheap shot and incredibly dangerous. Hopefully Ahern makes a quick and safe return. Has he had any previous history of concussion?

From MRSC on Facebook

Tom Ahern has returned home after spending the night under observation in hospital after sustaining a head injury against Northampton.

Get well soon, @Tom_Ahern22 🙌

#MUNvNOR #SUAF🔴

Hopefully , he's ok, it was a two nasty bangs to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Are we looking at Northampton away if Toulouse win?

unless Exeter win by 52 points then they top the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Looks very likely we have Northampton away, and then drawn with winners of Bulls or Lyon in the quarters

Advertisement