Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Political suicide for whoever tries to implement this

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not so sure. I'd like to see a fairer system than the one we have now where you only pay if you can't get away with it.

Most households are already paying it in fairness. Maybe they could just add it to the LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I think most people want a national TV station ... and pay the licence/accept one has to pay for it like taxes have to be paid ... but this comes with a caveat ... how the TV station .... and radio too .... uses our money ....

I see all these 'stars' of TV & radio earning like 150K upwards ... with Pat Kenny earning 900K as famously reminded by this Dublinese Elvis lookalike back in 2009 (The Frontline: Pat Kenny comes under fire (youtube.com)) ... the Ryan Tubridy scandal brought about the mainstream realisation of the obscene money these greedy people feel entitled to .... sadly this greed did not end with Tubbers' exit from RTE ... his replacement still gets 150K for doing 5 hours a week talking the same rubbish ....

TV remains polluted with absolute smutty drivel like First Dates Ireland along with continuously flogged dead horses passed their prime like DWTS, Operation Transformation and Room to Improve ... meanwhile no Kin series 3 or no other such quality drama being made ... nice to know what RTE prioritise ...

Hasbeen comedians like Tommy Tiernan and Oliver Callan can thank their lucky stars for RTE .... always there to rescue them from their destiny ... at our cost ... yet the door is firmly closed to everyone else ...

If RTE want us to pay them money then we all need a say in how it is run and what type of programmes are on it .... the days of forcing handpicked individuals at us a la Noel Kelly needs to be gone but isn't .... programmes like The Frontline for Pat Kenny and Tubridy Tonight for its namesake were specially made for the presenter NOT the audience .... same goes for Operation Transformation ... believe it or not for Gerry Ryan ... can't see why though!! ...

Our worst TV programmes are cheap, easy to make drivel .... but where does all the money go? Why are shoestring programmes made? Why is RTE ... a company with licence money plus govt money plus ad revenue ... so broke? ... until these questions are answered and until these issues are resolved the people should not feel obliged to pay the licence ... I for one want Kin #3 .... others want other programmes ... I am not saying get rid of what is on currently but we need and do not get variety or quality .... and why are we not getting what we should be getting? salaries! salaries! salaries! ... and creating programmes for presenters rather than audiences! ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Not every mobile customer will be using their phones as a hotspot. So how will they go about proving this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So rather than sorting the problem child that is rte and reigning in their obscenely wasteful spending, they and the government are willing to attempt to take 10 euro a.month off people.to keep them in the style they have become accustomed to.

It's the unwillingness to admit that a large volume of people do not want to pay for something they have no interest in or even think that rte is worth supporting.

Instead they want any other business, to help gather the funds to keep them afloat.

Both rte and the government are really perong me off.

I don't have rte on my tv. I hear very little of their radio. At an absolute push, if I'm in the car on a Saturday afternoon I might hear a few minutes of movies and musicals program on lyric.

I pay broadband to Eir for internet. To watch Disney etc. not rte. Never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 wherever

The TV/broadcast licence fee should be replaced by a tax that encourages us to stop storing vast amounts of junk in Data Centres . If it cost to store 10 different versions of the same 'out of focus' cat photo or 1000' s of un-needed msgs, then we would save on the demand for energy from Data C's and phone software wouldn't shove all the junk/duplicates out every month as backups .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

A broadband tax would be very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Reading the SBP article, they will hit people with mobile data plans also.

There will be no way to avoid the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

AFAIK nearly all countries, ones comparable in size to Ireland anyway, fund pubic service broadcasting through some form of mandatory exaction on the taxpayer. If RTE funding moved to some form of voluntary subscription like you seem to be suggesting they would not be able to finance noncommercial content like documentaries, arts, Irish language on any serious scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Did we ever find out what happened to this 'project'? Got announced during the lockdown, and during Dee's tenure.

Has an insta account with 67 followers.

There was also this, which had one Xmas episode, and then tried to get additional funding by travelling to France.

Seems just one Christmas special was ever made.

That came out 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

well that's the subhead but

One government source suggested that for these reasons, the levy was not now the preferred option, with either exchequer funding or a direct household charge from revenue being the two primary proposals.

i still think the government could plump for direct exchequer funding as the least politically painful option, despite strong FF resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The big complaint by RTE however was that people were evading the licence fee while continuing to enjoy RTE programming. A subscription model would tie viewing RTE with paying for it.

It is the most obvious and direct solution to RTEs problem of evasion. Don't pay the subscription: then you don't get to watch RTE. Evasion problem solved while maintaining a degree of choice for the viewer and and incentive for RTE to provide quality output while keeping costs down.

Yes but if you went down that road a huge chunk of the population would choose not top pay, RTE's income would collapse, and they would have to take a scythe to arts programming, documentaries, etc.

Politicians don't often say this this out loud because they would effectively be accusing a big swathe of the electorate of being uncultured oiks who only want toi watch Cornoation Street and premiership football but that's the reality.

I think a lot of the so called "cultured" people would also choose not not subscribe given that a lot of RTEs output is commercial trash. But that does not mean it should not be done.

And remember that just because RTE would be a subscription channel does not mean that funding of cultural and artistic programming for all channels would not be possible.

It would mean, however, that guaranteed incomes for the top presenters and brass at RTE would no longer be possible regardless of quality of output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The article has a quote from Senator Shane Cassells (FF) saying "why in gods name would we eliminate €200million of an income stream and saddle the taxpayer with that? That is batshit crazy."

The Senator doesn't opt for the other options of A) providing a much smaller budget to RTE and telling them to cut their costs to measure, or B) acknowledging the billions of taxpayers money that is waste year on year, what's another €200m.

A better question to pose back to him would be "Why in gods name is €200m of taxpayer money given to an organisation that shows such irresponsibility and disregard to financial control?"

acknowledging the billions of taxpayers money that is waste year on year, what's another €200m.

well this is the reality that seems to me to make direct exchequer funding of RTE an appealing option for our political classes. With the exchequer taking in over 100 billion a year in taxes, you could almost replace RTe's entire income from the licence fee and commercial sources with one day's tax take. Once the initial flurry of controversy about RTE becoming entirely tax funded had passed, who would notice or care about the source of RTe's income going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

How do you enforce Conditional Access to ensure that only those who subscribe can watch RTE? I've seen this proposed here but nobody seems to have much of a clue about how to implement it. Knowing FFG and RTE it would probably get some clueless consultancy from morons with no record of expertise in this field and it would turn into yet another clusterfsck.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

So if you have all you can eat data on your mobile plan like I do as well as having broadband will I be paying twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭downtheroad

We have an orchestra funded through RTE and they don't even get wheeled out to play live music on RTE's DWTS. Instead Spotify gets chucked on. Rubbish production value there.

That's true. Poor implementation, not understanding what is required is always a danger with this crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

2 mobile data plans and mobile router for house broadband, so going to pay 3times brilliant idea !

• Registered Users Posts: 82,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I remember Hungary in 2014 wanted to bring in a tax of 50cent per GB of data traffic, that would have put me in NAMA 😂...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,819 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So my household will go from €160 a year to €75 a month?!?!

They can stick that where the sun doesn't shine.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

"enjoy" RTE programming? I'm right in the middle of their target demographic and they have next to nothing I'm interested in.

A subscription model isn't going to happen, because it'd finish RTE, and even if the majority of households wanted to subscribe it'd cost an absolute fortune to implement. BBC and ITV stopped encrypting their signals on satellite because it was cheaper to pay for Republic of Ireland rights than it was to keep paying for the encryption. Every household in the country would need a new set top box and a viewing card. Who's going to pay for that?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Or why do we spend taxpayers' money to give gobshites like him a platform when they're incapable of being elected to the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Iguarantee

Ironically, I paid the licence and didn't use any of their services.

I no longer have access to live television or any tv channels beyond what I can get on my Apple TV e.g. RTE iPlayer (it's not even installed) or YouTube (definitely not used for RTE content in my household).

The last time I watched RTE was to watch the last episode of Love/Hate, whenever that was aired. I haven't watched RTE since.

I have an electric car; I have to pay road tax of €130/yr based on vehicle emissions i.e. the emissions the vehicle itself makes. That should sum up the bonkers Irish rationale for indirect taxation. The same vehicle, in the UK, warrants no motor tax because the car doesn't actually produce exhaust emissions (I acknowledge that power generation generally has emissions but that's taxed elsewhere).

Our TV license is based on the citizen having access to RTE products, regardless of usage. The TV licence is the only public service that you pay for directly whether you use it or not. It's like paying for a train ticket whether you use the train or not.

RTE can go **** themselves if they think I'm ever paying the tv license again.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

The new charge seems to be more ridiculous than the TV license and it seems as if they are trying to punish people now for what went on last year.

Previously the TV licence was only one per household if you owned a TV.

Now it's going to be on broad road and your post says it's going to hit people using mobile data too.

I mean like this is unreal and incredible.

You use broadband for the interet and for maybe doing online streaming of movies like Netflix as an example. There's so many reasons for broadband. This new thing tells us the government thinks we all must watch rte with our broadband.

Then hitting mobile phones too. Every household would likely have a few different mobiles and payment packages.

I have two mobile phones so that would mean I will need to pay this charge twice and I am not using my mobile phones for watching rte.

Thinking to my neighbours there would be at least 5 mobiles in the house so all of them will have to pay extra for their payment plans and then they are paying many times over where as before the TV licence was only one per household.

This is unreal.

Does your home theatre monitor have a TV tuner built into it? If not, then you don't have pay a licence. You are free to watch Apple TV, Netflix, Prime whatever without paying a licence.

I'll just be pointing out to the local TDs I won't be voting for them if this passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

I don't have broadband just mobile internet and it works great for me. A post above says mobile internet could be hit.

Is this definitely for real? Is this definitely coming in or will they back down.

With EU roaming, could I buy a SIM card from an EU phone company and use EU roaming or would that be too expensive?

What would the best EU mobile package be?

Advertisement