Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately the 6z operational has no support right at the end with that northerly. It's on it's own.

At this stage i'd be happy to settle for high pressure to get rid of this Atlantic onslaught that is going on outside right now. For the most part we've been stuck in an Atlantic deluge and onslaught pattern since end of June with only a few gaps for respite in between. I would love to see a flip back to a 2022 pattern of several very prolonged dry spells, the past 12 months have been excessive for rain and wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The only thing I would say to that is in recent times the GFS OP has had very little support against its members but actually turned out to be right. Of course it's far more likely that it is off on one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

There is little to be excited about in long range charts. It's all rather atypical of the weather we have become accustomed to at this time of year.

However 🤓...... the NAO and AO are heading in the right direction at the beginning of February.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

So you have moved on from the storm and are looking for the next chase. You love the thrill of the chase, WolfeEire. The GFS is at least getting to work on the pv on some recent runs during early Februrary.

Clare (410ft asl)

I have moved on as the storm appears to have in Clare. Back in the saddle now Nacho, and I have the snow detector in hand. There does appear to be pools of cold primed to sink south in the latter stages of the GFS. The remaining 999 pieces of the jigsaw puzzle have to fall into place. I am happy to see the NAO and AO heading in the right direction though.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

A persistent high pressure system to our south scuppers any chance of sustained cold up to and including the opening week of February. The GEFS and the ECMWF show a few colder members in the latter stages. Overall, a relatively benign zonal outlook with slightly above average temps and close to average rainfall. The jigsaw puzzle 🧩 is no closer to being solved.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Well the latest Met Eireann long range is not great at all if it's snow you're after. We will have the conditions described above right out until the 18th of February at least. I would hope at the very least the famous faux cold/ inversion would happen at some stage.

Clare (410ft asl)

Very little change to the pressure mean on the 06z GEFS. Atlantic zonal all the way through to the end of the first week of February. Normal service has resumed.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes as long as that Iberian ridge sticks around, you won't be seeing anything but flat flat flat zonality. Looking dire if it's cold weather you seek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

If we are going to get anymore cold this meteorological winter I can't see anything before 2nd half of Feb.

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Perturbation 26 of the GEFS has been on the sherry. Such an outcome is not very well supported and milder zonal conditions favoured to persist into the end of the first week of February.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'd say let's open a dedicated thread just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In fact the CFS shows a cold toppler on the same day followed by a 6 day easterly from 13 Feb....

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Might have a go at this Sherry meself!

In the CFS we trust:) its bad when a single member with the desired outcome are shown- you know then it's truly straw clutching time. I am tempted to give the models a miss for bit.

Post edited by nacho libre on

It didn't work out that way when Joe Pesci said to Danny Glover, well look at it this way things can't get any worse:)

Have you seen that Movie? Ah no I take your point though. I will take snow at any time, but nothing beats a cold spell in the heart of winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

If you don't like mild weather this time of year then you will not like the post 120 ECM and UKMO charts. Could get notably mild next week.

Clare (410ft asl)

Could be worse. We could be in the Sahara in January. Oh wait.....

Even they're colder than us

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

The big news for me is that the NAO and the AO are both heading south

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭squonk

Mild wet or mild dry? I’d take mild dry but for my location I’m guessing it’ll come with an extra helping of fog and drizzle which isn’t so exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭highdef

It would want to get it's arse in gear! I'm similar to other here in that once Valentine's Day has passed, cold and snowy outbreaks don't interest me too much as solar radiation is becoming a major player by that stage of the year. Overnight or morning snow followed by a slushy mess by lunchtime is of little appeal to me and if it falls on a weekday, is just a hindrance for the majority.

A large snowfall (10/15cm +) is needed in late winter in order to ensure that the snow remains on the ground for a while if there are good sunny spells. Not only does the sun have more strength by February but it is also gaining altitude in the sky for every day that passes, thus more and more areas of the land encounters direct sunshine which in turn leads to faster and faster snow melts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

It just seems the same thing every winter hoping a late winter cold spell will save us. As each winter goes by I am growing more and more disillusioned with our winters especially in recent yrs. There just isn't much to look forward to anymore with them. Not that we were ever a country that got lots of snow every winter but our winters these days really are the pits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This winter is the absolute pits for snow once again, away from Donegal and western coastal counties the rest of the country hasn't seen a single snowflake. The next few weeks look bleak unless something changes fairly rapidly in the models. The Dublin/Wicklow mountains has been largely snow free all winter too apart from some dustings early December. I'm so close to throwing in the towel.

The recent cold spell was our best chance to get something decent across most of the country in the heart of winter and too many things went wrong, we just can't seem to catch a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Donegal snow, or any snow in the western region whatsoever doesn't matter Gonzo? This approach of "In my backyard or it didn't happen" is bizarre.

I'll agree the last spell was disappointing but the pessimism is bizarre.

We've been chasing snow for 6 years now. The pessimism is perfectly valid for many people here who go winter after winter without snow.

It seems if there is any chance of a cold spell it will be mid February onwards. It's very annoying that when it comes to cold things can never speed up, but with milder weather they often do. I enjoyed the last cold spell, but it was a bit disappointing because we had no ice days. I would have to agree with John Icy about the December 2022 cold spell being somewhat overlooked. We had three ice days with that. I appreciate for Harps and the likes of Senor Pangea the last cold spell delivered big time. Its just a shame about the Iberian high this winter, as it has scuppered us getting a northerly that could have delivered more widely. Its a shame because the cold was there in the Arctic ,unlike in more recent times. Maybe mid February onwards will finally deliver an unstable Northerly that brings snows to a lot of the country, rather than just the usual spots.

If the Iberian highs were not around this month the recent cold spell could have been much more exciting and severe. It probably would have happened alot earlier too because decent blocking was there for almost 3 weeks and we only got the proper cold right at the very end in the final days before the Atlantic whisked it all away. A December 2000 style event probably would have been the result.

I agree that a cold and snowy spell is now looking very unlikely first half of February, maybe a chance in the second half, but probably a higher chance again in March which will have to do if we don't get anything in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah look, March snow is pants, Emma excluded. Even second hand if Feb isn’t great. Got some ninja snow here in Clare on March 09 2023 which was grand when I woke up but it just turned to south way too quickly and by event we had hard driving wet dnow turning rapidly to sleet. Ray just a 12 hour event really. Nice to see but I’d live without it if cold and dry was on offer instead or spring sunshine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement