Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I rarely hope to achieve anything here.

Calling Munster an "unbelievably average team" is fairly milquetoast criticism. I get that it can be annoying in the aftermath of a loss, but it also seems fairly accurate at the moment.

Two world cup winning locks don't decide where on the pitch you try and play the game, the backline and more specifically the halfbacks do. And Munster were playing the game in the wrong part of the pitch constantly. But if you think that's nonsense suit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Munster through to last 16 = result. Simple really when you think about it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Injuries didn’t cause Munster to “kick when they should run and run when they should kick” as per Rowntree.

Simply, better players make better decisions.

1.5 seasons into Rowntree you have to ask what exactly is it Munster are trying to do.

Could not disagree more with this. Munster are clearly trying to play an on-ball game, with a high number of passes per phases and quick ruck ball. We've seen plenty of examples of it working exceptionally well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

On a wet & windy night we were two missed conversions from winning the game

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

Putting an awful lot of effort into your posts for someone who isn’t hoping to achieve anything.

answer the question: would leinster cope against the top premiership team while losing players like ryan, McCarthy, park, porter, Conan, Baird, Keenan , kelleher in their match day squad ?

gameplan worked last season when it mattered as rowntrees team won a trophy. That’s a fact ,surely even you must acknowledge .

anyway as someone posted above, munster are into the knockouts, once again . That’s all that matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

We were against 14 men for most of the game and 13 men for a period.

You can’t put it as simply as ‘yerra a couple of missed conversions’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think the concern is that it’s a pattern that has happened quite often this season where Munster play some lovely stuff, get themselves in the lead and then get pegged back. Obviously the injuries don’t help when the bench is emptied but valid questions about game management exist.

But it also suggests that when we get those players back, and we get a dry-track, things should improve.

We've been putting ourselves into postitions to win all those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Munster didn’t have to compete with a top premiership team though - they had to compete against 14 men at home in thomond park and blew an impressive lead due to “bizarre decision making” as our own head coach said right after the game.

We lost by 3 points, we missed two conversions. Kick those and we win the game.

What part of that don't you understand?

• Advertisement

And if my granny had wheels she’d be a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Shehal

Thing's havent worked out too badly for Munster, if they can get past Northampton (which is a 50/50 game even at Northampton) they will be at home to Lyon or Harlequins(most likely) in the QF.

Excellent point, well made. Thanks for giving the discussion so much thought

I'm not sure this is correct, I think we e can't be at home unless the opposition was below us in the 1-16

Well it’s about as useful as - “it was raining heavier in the second half” or “Northampton had a tropical storm behind them”.

The reality is though we lost a game we should have absolutely won.

Again, if you're mentioning other factors then you should also factor in had we scored those two conversions we'd have won. It really is as simple as that

Right, and if we didn’t concede the try or Northampton didn’t score the drop goal?

No, because those "ifs" are the ones that could have you related to a bike.

The conversions are kicks from actual scores but you know that but just want to be argumentative so I'll let you have the last word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Somehow i doubt conversion practice is going to be top of the list for the coaching staff come Monday's analysis.

The level of defensiveness of Munster fans to absolutely legitimate criticism of the team and its performances is so tiresome.

This is supposed to be a message board, but the attitude seems to be you’re only allowed to post in the Munster thread if you’re going to: (a) agree with one another about how great Munster are, (b) make excuses for a recent Munster underperformance or (c) complain about the failure of Munster players to make Irish squads.

And - before the 10 inevitable posts calling me a ‘seagull’ or a ‘troll’ or something similar, maybe go back a week and look at the three or four posts I had during Munster’s impressive win against Toulon.

• Advertisement

I'd agree, it never really is though to be fair but the point stands, even if you and a few others want to ignore it.

Posted on the Champions Cup thread rather than here.

I think we'll play Saints as a result of Exeter not getting anything v Bayonne.

If Exeter topped the pool I'd have gone to Exeter, love to go back there .

I've always said I don't think you're the worst, FTD, even if sometimes I've obviously strongly disagreed with some of your posts.

But if you're 2 reactions to that match is to 1) call Munster an unbelievably average team and 2) call Frisch "fairly scummy" and compare the slide to the Tom Ahern's incident - anyone in the ground will tell you it was very worrying, he didn't budge an inch for minutes - then yes, I think that is deeply questionable, and doesn't come under the banner of "legitimate criticism".

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Things should improve when a few more players come back, but we often hear that winning is a habit. In that case it could be argued that losing can also become one.

Losing 6 from 13, and quite a few from winning positions, isn’t good enough for a team who are the current URC champions and have aspirations to back it up this year. Munster need to learn how to see out games. Good teams win when they play poorly, Munster are currently losing when they’re playing well for large parts.

Injuries are a factor, but so is game management and thats what needs to be focused on. Waiting for the weather to improve isn’t a solution, you have to play the conditions, something which Munster have traditionally been excellent at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Northampton are 3rd, we are 14th.

If we get through, we’d be away to face winner between 6th Bulls and 11th Lyon.

I’m not thick - you don’t need lines like ‘what don’t you understand’…

There were many other mistakes/situations that lead to not winning.

Nah - Phog has spoken. It’s two missed conversions cost us

Yeah, look fair enough. But not every Leinster fan posting in here is doing so out of some sort of sense of glee that Munster lost.

Instinctively, I was cheering yesterday when POM went over in the corner. I do cheer for Munster in these European games, especially against English sides.

I know the injuries are a huge factor here, but there is some absolutely legitimate criticism of game management and decision making too. I really like Jack Crowley, but he was poor yesterday.

I thought the Ahern incident was absolutely filthy, and, weirdly in the conditions, probably hurt Munster more than it hurt Northampton. It’s easier to defend with 14 in those conditions, whereas Munster really couldn’t afford to lose Ahern. Will be raging for him if this costs him the week in Portugal with the Irish squad.

Northampton are a good side with some good young players - Tom Pearson, Freeman, Sleightholme and Mitchell are all very good players. Courtney Lawes is playing at an incredible level this season, and they really have a fine player in Fin Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

Yesss ! Cant wait, might travel to that one if i can get tickets . They’re very beatable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I agree with your post, but I just think unfortunately a lot of the reason Munster can’t see out games is personnel. In the last 20 minutes, when the likes of Whycherly/Clarke/Kendellan/Coombes in the row are finishing out the game, Munster just don’t have the power up front to cope with teams. Munster get penalised heavy in the last quarter at scrum, rucks, maul D and teams take control of territory/possession. Crowley didn’t have a good game yesterday, but it’s a tough job for any young flyhalf to steer a ship behind a struggling pack and a gale blowing into your face.

Getting RG back will help, maybe Barron too, they are more hard ground players, to which I do think the team will be better post 6N. But Munster definitely need a few player acquisitions for next season to better handle winter conditions.

Advertisement