Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Was the two starting teams taken from the match report. Scheduling the minor final in a different venue would be the county board seeking that extra tenner off supporters instead of letting them view two matches in one venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well, I suspect people will only go to one, as it could be cutting it fine, especially if Boyle won and people would like to stay around to watch the historic aftermath, speech, emotional scenes etc.

Me, for example.

I can watch the senior on TV and then head to the minor I suppose, but I'd prefer to attend both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well, they held them to 12, but only scored 11 themselves. Tight game, hon Brigid's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

And an opportunity Boyle had of winning but didn't take their goal chances. As I said in earlier post "It all suggest the Roscommon final will likely be a low scoring one and it will be important to have accurate free takers in order to win" How it played out right down to missed free at the end that could have brought the match into extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bridgets had 10 players yesterday who were 23 or younger in the starting line up and Eddie Nolan is 25 while Brian Stack is 26. It's some conveyor belt of talent that one small rural club produces. 12 county titles since 2005 is an incredible achievement.

Heartbreak for Boyle and the Smith brothers again. They deserve a county title before they retire.

Incredible day for football yesterday it must be said. Hard to believe it was late October with the sun shining and not a breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭rodmn2377

jesus i dont know if id call them a small rural club..being on the outskirts of a major town like Athlone means they have a big population to pull from.... i remember being at their pitch one saturday morning and they had the guts of 100 kids on the pitch training.... at that time there was very few other clubs with those numbers....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

10km from Athlone and Clann probably have most of the pick from the Roscommon side of Athlone anyway and they haven't produced anything like what Bridgets have the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd never run down Bridget's, a well run club who get a lot out of the resources available to them, but to call them a small rural club, especially in the context of Roscommon football, is ridiculous.

im not saying they have everything put on a plate for them... they have worked hard to get the success they have had but i think they probably are in in the top 5 population picks in the county... clann have had loads of success in the county over the last 20 yrs...not as much as bridgits at senior but underage and senior they are still one of the top teams in the county... i think both of them have benefited from the population in the area... but like any team or sport the numbers arent enough they need to make the most of that....

All the talk today is that Jack Duggan"s pong mooted move from Longford is happening, as he has seemingly requested a move.

Let's see how it plays out, I wouldn't be holding out huge hopes Og him making a big impact in the short term anyway but let's give him a chance and we'll see.

It's a good sign in some ways that the likes of Carroll, Cox and himself see the set up as something they want to be part of

• Advertisement

Delighted to see Enda get the All-Star.

Had an excellent year and absolutely deserved the award. I just wasn't sure the normal bias towards the last four would be overlooked.

Agree 100%.... was up there with the best players in the country all year....was a 8 to 10 every game he played this year.... i dont think there was many other players who were as consistently top drawer this year.... was worried like you that going out early could cost him but delighted he got what he deserved...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Mark McHugh gone from setup for next year, big loss, hugely talented coach and popular with the players.

Conor Daly and Cian McKeon opting out next year too, traveling to Oz.

Ronan Daly and Ultan Harney expected back into the fold though.

McHugh gone is not good. There was a huge improvement in the collective defensive play under him.

I wonder why he left? Was he offered something else?

I have heard many conflicting stories about McKeown, so I'll wait and see if he really is gone and for how long. If he goes it's a terrible loss. Superb player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

That would be hugely disappointing news. As megadodge said there was a massive improvement in the defensive structure this year after many years of defensive naivety.

Would also be disappointing to lose the 2 lads for the year but can't blame them given that opportunity and the massive sacrifices players make to play inter county. It just feels for a few years now that we haven't got our strongest panel all together, bigger counties can absorb it but it does have an effect on counties like ourselves in terms of panel depth.

Belated congrats to Enda, a gent on and off the pitch, thoroughly deserved recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

Congratulations to St Brigids. Senior club title added to the intermediate one that castlerea won.

Micheal's really letting the side down 😂.

Fair play, well deserved, the two goals kept Corofin alive but in truth a convincing win. We'll balanced team, with a few outstanding players (Stack and Ben O in particular.)

Excellent display today by Brigid's.

After seeing their county semi-final live, I honestly felt if they continued to play like that, the only team in Connacht that had a chance was Moycullen and so it proved today. They were on top right throughout the game and outside a short rally at the beginning of the second half they really never looked in trouble.

Their all-round discpline in the tackle was hugely impressive. They are just very well coached.

I thought their big players really showed up: Brian Stack, Rory Fallon, Eddie Nolan and Ben O'Carroll were all superb.

Munster opposition up next and there's nothing there to be scared of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

id fancy them to go all the way on todays performance , it was almost an arms length lead for most of the game , some of the main scorers i have never heard of , would the likes of bobby nugent and ciaran sugure be up and coming or good enough for the rossies

Bobby Nugent played with Roscommon U20s this year and has another year with them in 2024. Ciaran Sugrue has been on the Roscommon minor and U20 team and has played in the NFL for Roscommon seniors.

Brigids were good value for that win congratulations to them.

• Advertisement

Well done Brigids, great result.

While I fancied them beforehand, the long bad patch at the start of the second half worried me a bit.

Brigids were outstanding in the first half but it kind of looked liked they didn't realise the opposition were going to come out flying after a half-time bollocking - which they did. At least they finished strong, which is always a good sign, but the concentration will have to be at 100% for the entire match the next day.

I expect Glen to be favourites and have no problem with that, but if Brigids can break even at midfield and prevent their half-backs from breaking through to score (not easy), I think Glen's scoring threat would be seriously diminished. Their forwards don't look overly impressive. Brigids on the other hand have scoring threats in all six forwards. No doubt about it that the final is a winable game for Brigids, but only without the mental lapse of today.

Absolutely. Congratulations to them. Magnificent achievement. With more to come. Glen will be favourites but that'll suit brigids

Brigids by 4

I have two worries for Brigids.

1. The lack of a 'stopper' in the middle of the defense (centre-back). Ronan Stack didn't have a good game against Castlehaven, mainly down to his lack of physicality and the majority of Glen's scores tend to come from their midfield and half-back surges through the middle. I'd actually prefer to see Brian Stack at centre-back, but who do you play at full-back then? Brigid's midfield really have to stand up physically in the defensive part of the game. They have the size to do this but Cunnane has been disappoinint in the last two games. Brigid's really need him to step up in the final.
    2. The goalie. He reminds me of the goalie Brigid's had in the 2011 final. Middling kickout and looks indecisive. It's no coincidence that when McStay took over back in the day, the first thing he did was get Shane Curran back in goals. I really hope it isn't an issue.

On the other hand, I think Brigid's forwards as a unit are definitely good enough to outscore the opposition, no matter what they score. Every one of them can score and their inter-play is excellent. If their midfield can do the job defensively, I think Brigid's forwards can make all the difference, but the team as a whole cannot afford any mental lapses like the last two games.

heard yesterday that Glen are missing the centre and full back on Sunday.. the man that told me was from up their and said the confidence has took a right hit with them missing... they would have been a lot happier if there 2 injuries were from any other area in the field then backs because of Bridgets forwards... if true.... 3/1 for Bridgets is a great price..

Glen's strength is defensively and are unlikely to concede a big score on Sunday. They have a big spread of scorers making it harder to hold them to a low score and a lot of their good stuff goes through their midfield, probably the best midfield pairing in club football at the minute.

For Brigids to cause upset they'll need everything to go right, be clinical with the chances created look to do as well as possible in midfield and produce their best defensive performance of the campaign.

I don't know what to say after that.

Talk about grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't begrudge Glen, but Brigid's absolutely blew that. They were much the better team throughout. Far more composed and played some superb football. They held their own in midfield, which was key, but I honestly felt both goals were very preventable - and that's where it was lost.

Really disappointed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭MattressRick

By miles the better team. Glass's goal was very saveable, provided the goalie isn't off balance because he's running backwards from no man's land. I blame the goalie for the end.

A draw was probably a fair result. Neither side showed much and I think on that performance both will struggle to stay up.

Roscommon took a long time to get into the match and looked in big trouble before a decent finish to the first half gave them a 3 point lead. But that didn't look enough. Luckily Galway's second half was similar to Roscommon's first.

Eoin McCormack was Roscommon's standout player. Played superbly throughout. Defended tenaciously and showed a very impressive burst of speed when carrying the ball. He has really blossomed.

Brian Stack was brought on when things were looking bleak towards the end of the first half and he was played in the half-forward line. While this seems strange, it means he's in the middle of the action, exactly where you want your best player to be. I've been saying it for some time that I would prefer to see him released from full-back, as he can contribute more to the team from further out the field.

Finally, I don't like to criticise, but Donie's idiotic red card deserves special mention. It was a definite red card and came straight after he was awarded a soft free and with Conroy pulling him up for 'diving' chances are Conroy was going to get a yellow (which he did), so what the F*CK was the point?

• Advertisement

You're right in most of what you say above but....

In theory Brian was at HF and involved in the play, in practice though he ended up isolated in the FF line and away from the play. Donie was dumb, really silly getting sent off, however this is a really nasty and cynical Galway side, and they were putting afters in after every foul and challenge from minute 1,and Lane wasn't anyway interested in pulling them in it.

We were poor though all told. Really slow and ponderous.

Advertisement