Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's very simple. Guests of the Nation who arrive here requesting asylum should be housed initially in camps on the Curragh, maintained and guarded by our Defence Forces and Gardaí as required. Their applications should be speedily processed there, those with a case housed elsewhere and the rest sent back from whence they came.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But again why are you determined they should be treated like prisoners?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Guests - temporary guests until proven to have a case. You should surely be in favour of having a clear and fairly implemented system that deals with such matters? They need to be contained to stop them absconding and adding greatly to costs of managing the process and in fairness to genuine applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But if it works and gets the number's down then why shouldn't we ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Cordell

Why not? They will be in a safe area, no war, safety and free food. What's not to like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Much smarter idea and it won't leave a traceable ID in a bin.

Guests don't get locked away like you are describing

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They are not prisoners. They shouldn't be locked up like prisoners.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭suvigirl

If say the ECHR wouldn't like it

Our own supreme court probably wouldn't even if let it get That far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But see, this is the problem and the conundrum. If we build big holding centres then great. But then what do you have? Well — you have openly advertised to the world that you have better capacity to hold refugees, right? And even if you could get away with making these holding centres into a ghastly dystopia where people live in abject misery, there is only so long you can hold them there. You can't effectively imprison people indefinitely.

You say yourself you don't have the answers, and that's absolutely fine. But what you have to reconcile yourself with is the fact that nobody really has the answers and nobody ever will. So the people who come with simple solutions to all this, the "just kick them out" types and the ones who think it's all an overnight fix if we can just simply get rid of the softy snowflake liberals and replace them with the cold common sense rationale of the Right should all be assessed accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I heard Peadar Tóibín (I think) on the radio last week saying that immigration control don't search people when they claim they have no passport, so they don't even need to dump the documents - We're just so nice and a lovely bunch of lads that doesn't want to inconvenience the system gamers

Can the Govt fook this up any further - (rhetorical question...of course they can)

Yeah, but who here is actually arguing that there have not been problems and shortcomings in the way this has been handled? But this is not a distinctly Irish problem — we are not the only ones who have had problems. Refugee numbers have risen across Europe.

It's also our first real taste of an issue like this and of this magnitude and yet people are banging on as if this has been and continues to be a long term permanent strategy rather than the fumbling and failing that arises when crises occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's really bonkers that Helen McEntee is the Justice Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's pure madness she wasn't sacked after the Dublin Riots.Just another feather in the incompetence of Varadkar and this government

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Agree. A clean and clear system like this would give the general public far more confidence in the system. At the moment it all just seems chaotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Cordell

Of course they won't be prisoners, they will be free to leave whenever they want.

Remember it was her idea for a supposedly once in a lifetime amnesty for illegal immigrants,then expanded it to include students, then those with Deportation orders then those with Criminal convictions after meeting multiple stakeholders but did she once meet the population and explain to us why people with Deportation orders and criminal convictions and students were now essentially be given asylum and citizenship.....

A fifth of the world's refugees live in camps. 76% of the global refugee population are in poor to middling income countries — only 26% are in the first world. There are three and a half million refugees in Turkey alone and millions more spread across Pakistan, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Sudan and Uganda etc etc.

If the idea is to make Ireland unattractive for refugees.....well....good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭seenitall

I didn’t know this about criminals getting amnesties to stay? That’s pure disgraceful. Instead of deporting them ASAP, no, make them feel welcome! Mindless bordering on malicious.

They were added after consultation with stakeholders, I'd love to know who these stakeholders are /were and where the transcripts of the meetings are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭seenitall

Shocking stuff. Although not much from this government should surprise me at this stage. But it really takes the biscuit and shows just how much contempt and “I don’t give a fcuk” they hold the Irish people in.

But what is being suggested is effectively a prison camp and the person who suggested it didn't envisage those freedoms at all.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Interesting that you are happy to see people who would wish trans people harm come here...

People coming here seeking refuge shouldn't be placed in prison like circumstances.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Should’ve be a T.D. either. Just stepped into her father’s seat.

May he rest in peace.

Apologies that was a bit of intemperate uncalled comment but on the one hand you are calling for Irish lgb people to be protected but refugees to be harmed by placing them in prison like circumstances. I got angry at your lack of humanity including the faux concern for LGB people.

Terry Pratchet

The funny thing is though, even if the government built an internment camp or centre for refugees you would still have the same people on here moaning about it. Why so many single men at the camp? The camp has ruined the area. It's too close to schools. They're all economic migrants. Why did we build a a big centre to only show the world we had more capacity for hosting refugees? The refugees keep coming, the centre is clearly too pleasant we need to make it more squalid and brutalise those in it to send a message. The government had no plan about how long some people might be in this centre and now we have to house those that we can't keep in it forevermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Would it not make more sense then to put a stop to the advertising that were going to home the world and stop taking anymore until someone comes up with the answer.

And please don't quote about obligation as we all know by now if we don't want to we Don't have to and handing people tents in January is enough to show whoever that we have reached our capacity.

As stated by not a right wing nut but just someone using common sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement