Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry your not convincing me.

Go ahead and wreck your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i have'nt a clue, but i spent a while looking at 2 massive ones inside of a big supermarket franchise the other day, and both was left powered on with a green lights inside, and 2 touch screen looking digital screens that said something like "currently not in use, please come back febuary 1st" and a big giant red X. No idea why they was even left on if they're not even gonna be in use till atleast another 2 weeks.

If anything i'm guessing these big businuess don't care about wasting electric per say, because they probebly have a bill that comes in where they pay a set amount per month, usually always the same set amount regardless of usage. Buinsuess pay electric costs differently than domestic home users which is weird.

Alot of energy and environment waste also comes down to big business part they play. Some of them may opt for cheaper packaging (i believe for pr reasons and to make it look like they care but really its just because it costs less) but with this electric example, and other things like manufacturing, do they really care?

Aslong as they pay their "green tax" they can continue polluting. Essentially its profiting off of their pollution, by taxing it. Some intentionally choose to pay this tax instead of refusing to pollute, because more money (what they really care about).

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ive a PhD in the area. I can tell you with absolute certainty, these things consume sweet fcuk all power. You can find their data sheets online. Their power consumption is irrelevant.

i don't think its gonna wreck his wallet, if anything its just throwing away money. i feel it really depends on how much one consumes, how many cans one buys etc. If its a party house and that person is constantly buying big slabs of cans frequently, then it might be worth while for them to keep the cans and get the deposits, as it would eventually mean another free slab from the deposit redeems.

That person could also have a high paying job idk, people that don't bother with cents and who say time is money, sometimes have a high paying job and don't care. really i'm only speculating when saying that though.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Cool, its nice to know they don't consume much at all. its a relief, but still every little helps and they should be doing their part to help.

Keeping 2 large machine turned on powered up for 2 whole weeks prior to feb 1st is still a waste, look at the grand scheme of things and add upo all that power than all these places doing the same thing. Its little to no power consumption, but add all that little bits up for a days worth and multiply it by x14, and then multiple that result for each place that has an rvm at the moment. Assuming they're all powered up, i think someone said there was 1400 RVMs in ireland at the moment, i'm hoping i am wrong on that, because otherwise, assuming they're all powered up, or even half of them, thats like 14x1400, or 14x700, = alot of electric overall in total wasted, maybe?

• Advertisement

Theyre idle, they’re not doing much. Powering a small screen and a few LEDs is not something to think about. It’s not even a drop in an ocean.

Its someone manufacturing a complaint.

honestly i don't really have any complaint about it, was just saying overall and attempting to point out how the buisnuess side of "green echo friendly" is kinda shady and not genuinely ever in best interests or concerns of the environment and usually their participation is PR stunt at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's essentially what I do.. all gets bagged, thrown into a single 240L bin (for outdoor storage), and brought to the local landfill every 5/6 weeks or so when its full. Costs me about a tenner each time.

I don't have space for 3 bins as it is (no garden or shared facility) never mind hoarding a load of cans and plastic bottles as well for the sake of a few Euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Absolutely, go down the aisles of a supermarket and look at the fridges, look at the open chilled beer shelves.

Nobody complaining about them.

I wasn’t saying you were complaining, the originally poster was. Apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's still unnecessary waste and not a good look/example when the public are constantly being asked to reduce their energy usage. My local Aldi installed their 3 machines in the summer and they've been on 24/7 since. 60-350 W idle consumption seems to be a common spec from a few minutes googling, that's potentially over 4000 kWh wasted since being installed, for no purpose. Nearly 1.5 tonnes of CO2 going by the last national carbon intensity figures available. Now scale that by all the RVMs all over the country, add on a continuous basis going forward, and multiply by some factor when these are used and it's not just the idle consumption you have to worry about. It's anything but insignificant. Small compared to all the other ways we're wasting energy but should be considered.

60-350 isn’t a helpful range. From my experience when fully idle, these things will consume <100W. It’s nothing.

No worries, you can apologize by giving me free cans when the scheme goes live! a couple of free deposits to get me started lmao.

3 machines? THATS INSANE!! how big is the area? i mean is there other places around nearby with RVMs? must be somewhere with a big population

Cork City, there are 3 slots only 2 screens so maybe 2 machines and a reject bin now that I think about it. Haven't got a close look yet it's locked up.

Some spec sheets spec 60 W, some spec 350. Some are over 500 which seem massively on the high side so I didn't include it. There are over 1300 Aldis, Lidls, Tescos, Dunnes, Supervalus and Centras in the country, all bar the Centras are going to have 1 or 2 machines, plus some proportion of the smaller shops I didn't look up the numbers for. Would at least 2000 RVMs be reasonable? 1.75 MWh per year going with the conservative 100 W estimate, over 600 tonnes of CO2 just idling. Small compared to the innumerable other ways we waste energy but absolutely not nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LOL, you keep shooting yerself in the foot - first the admission that mostly the reason we're doing this is to avoid fines and now above that they'll be sitting idle the majority of the time!!!!! Big white elephants in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Particularly when the wattage of your average recycling bin is a big fat zero.

But the new Green Tech world is driven by electricity and batteries.

The Green man is'nt happy with some of the thing you're saying, and he'd like to have a word with you XD

He also wants you to stop meddling in his affairs so that he can "get away" with it

How’s that shooting myself in the foot? They’re not going to have someone loading them 24/7. Do you expect high usage between 22:00-08:00? Do you expect high usage in the early morning and late evening?

Post edited by bren2001 on

• Advertisement

It does seem high which is why I'm happy to take your 100 W as your baseline.

First one I found. Others exist. Not sure if they're available here. They don't specify whether this is idle, max or expected average, seems too low for a max considering it needs several motors operating at once, some capable of crushing sealed plastic containers.

Ive seen others as low as 40 W but they don't have screens, all the ones I've seen in Ireland seem to have screens for operation, or worse, advertising displays.

That’s reasonable. I think you can largely ignore the idle power consumption.

How much power they consumer per 100 (or 1000) containers? I’ve no idea. The ones at my local Aldi are outside and have a little solar panel. Pity it’s in the shade 24/7…

if they are willing to trade electric (which costs money to some degree even if little) for recycling, how come they're not willing to trade money for recycling? is electric free or something? or is it a "costs us less" trade-off? (lesser of 2 evils as some would say)

The money argument can be for business reasons (ironic since its a non-profit) but this is a case of them choosing to use (and waste) electric, in return for recycling. In other words they're trading off (or away) once environmental green resource for another. If they truely was pro-green they would trade off money instead. in this case money is being prioritized rather than energy consumption, and making the customer pay the money and the retailers.

The retailers get over 2c a container. The system is supposed to pay for itself.

The carbon can be offset by an increase in recycled aluminium would be my guess on that. Recycled aluminium is very environmentally friendly only taking something like 5% of the energy to produce a “new” can.

indeed, but this shows more that its really pro buisnuess and pro money over being pro-green.

Basically using a whole pro-green facade to up the numbers on recycling or recycled units to reach the target goal and wave the results in the face of the EU. But not really wanting to pay for it and making other people do all the work.

They should atleast reward the consumers, or allow all cans regardless of logo. They would reach their target goal quicker too. They really want too much on their own terms and expect people top play ball. in a round about way its a sort of bullying, they're holding peoples money at ransom with this whole deposit thing, and those who don't play ball lose their own money, those who care about losing their money are being forced to participate. They want free help and are asking for alot.

It doesn’t show it’s not a green initiative at all.

I understand you don’t like the scheme. I understand you want to be incentivised to return the containers. There’s no need to force your argument.

The increase in electricity is minimal. You can discount any energy consumed at night as that’s going to predominantly from renewables. The increase during the day is negligible and any increase in carbon can be offset by an increase in aluminium recycling (a prediction, not in the scheme).

Youre seeing what you want.

It's a green initiative for sure. i'm not saying they're not pro-green, i'm saying they are other things BEFORE being pro-green. It seems more like a numbers game than anything. i see it with alot of things in business, including using cheaper packaging or recycled materials or irish grown products or cruelty free ethical farming and other gimmicks. Just feels dishonest and misleading. The conflict of interest is far too often covered up, i think its just fair to point out that they're not fully pro-green with the electric example, even though its minuscule its the principle and shows contradiction.

Honestly i'm not pro-green either, i'm pro money too. i see the scheme as a bit of a scam and that is'nt something i want to see at all. i would like to see people rewarded for their work and help. Or atleast see something similar to what they had before, where stores were offering instore vouchers of like 10c or whatever for each can. It should have been made way more accessible to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

With just over a week to go has anyone seen many re-turn cans or bottles in the shops ? Some rep from re-turn was saying we should be seeing a 50/50 spilt in stock at this stage .. I haven’t seen a re-turn can yet. I know suppliers have a few months yet .

• Advertisement

They're not allowed sell them until February 1st. You shouldnt see one until then.

From February 1st, they will slowly filter onto the market. You'll have to check your receipt to see if you paid a deposit or not. It will be a bit annoying at the start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement