Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Losing 6 from 13, and quite a few from winning positions, isn’t good enough for a team who are the current URC champions and have aspirations to back it up this year.

Munster lost 7 from 13 at the start of last season and still went on to win the URC.

Yes, game management needs to improve. But given what we saw from this team towards the end of last season, there are clear reason to be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

If we do happen to beat NH then we could be playing the bulls in SA 2 weeks in a row , once in QF then in URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Spot on - the depth is lacking - I think a few more need to be let go and I also think we need a new world class bosh merchant Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yeah, look fair enough. But not every Leinster fan posting in here is doing so out of some sort of sense of glee that Munster lost.

But I didn't aim my criticism at every Leinster fan. If all the contributions were akin to above, believe me, I'd have absolutely no problem, LP.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fair enough - I just can’t get into it.

I’m sure most love it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wouldn't exactly call it a template for how to win the URC though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Center would be far from where I'd be looking for reinforcement. Nankaville has been excellent and Frisch is good.

Injury has riddled second row. So many injuries in same position is a killer.

Problem is the same one for the last few seasons. It's the front row. Ageing tight heads, Knox and salanoa injury plagued. Hookers not ideal, passable but not great. Kilcoyne/Loughman sort of similar. On a good day holding their own but not a point of difference that will elevate the team over the opposition.

Jaeger might be a step in the right direction and rumours of the bulls hooker joining. Management know what they need to address

If anything, it's indicative that, once you qualify for the knock-outs, peaking at the right time is probably more important towards determining where the silverware goes than regular season games.

Jager had looked good on initial viewing, but it was a pretty glaring error from him for their first try last night. Will need to improve massively on that.

• Advertisement

Absolutely and that's a change everyone needs to adapt to. But let's not kid ourselves about Munster's run-in here. Glasgow got a red card after 25 min and Leinster rested about 13 first choice players.

We are not talking peak Wasps here who made a great show of finishing 2nd or 3rd then winning the Premiership. Munster, final aside (and its a legit big aside), got lucky and they had to because they were coming from such a bad position. It rains in May sometimes too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think it just shows that if you don’t have a really deep squad but you do have a good starting 23, then just getting healthy for the knockouts gives you a chance .

I don't see how you can say the Glasgow red card was lucky for Munster. It was a clear as day red card incident, and Murray had to be taken off and failed a HIA cos of it. Discipline is within your control. That's not luck and it wasn't a remotely marginal red card.

In fact, iirc, we were missing 4 players for the SF because of that Glasgow game? I think we had 4 HIA's in the course of the game. Can that really be called lucky?

For the Leinster game, Munster obviously had to come from behind, but imo they were the better team that day, and but for some stout defence and some timely rips deep in Leinster territory, Munster could've been a lot more comfortable.

That's fair, but I also think it's fair to say that Munster peaked around then too. The first half performance in the final was probably our best half of rugby all year. Even though we were behind on the scoreboard, I was never too concerned and always felt we had the winnings of it (which is very unusual for me tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I think that's a tough appraisal to the end of the season Podge. It doesn't factor Munster getting two results in South Africa at the end of the regular season. Munster, when at roughly full strength last spring, played good rugby. Were a legit good team. We are playing like an average team so far this season, but there is fair evidence that Munster can emerge as a good team later this season if some of our injuries clear up.

Its absolutely tough and Munster's results in SA were excellent to qualify for Europe and the URC knockouts. I don't think they're undeserving champions or anything but I also think they're closer to when Connacht won than anything else. Whether it becomes a springboard for greater success is up to them And so far it doesn't look amazing in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kind of, but home advantage matters. What Munster did was so amazing because it is rare and difficult. They can't continue to give themselves away knock out games. Missing out on revenue too

I never said the red card was undeserved. You still played against 14 men for 55 min.

I also never claimed Munster weren't the better team against Leinster. I think they were and I'll probably never forgive the selection decision for that game. Munster might have won anyway, such is sports, but I hated it.

I just think "we struggled at this point last year but won the URC" is glossing over some elements of the URC win and that you should expect to be better this year. The whole point was Rowntree was staying to have an impact in the playoffs and now you're back to losing games in Thomond that you should really win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

But you're deliberately missing the point around the injuries that Munster have this season.

So if it's completely deserved, I don't see how it can be deemed lucky. Particularly, when it costs you one of your starters.

Look, I think at this point, we can just leave it there Podge. But if Munster happen to end up unbelievably average URC Champions again this season, fair to say I'll be pretty happy.

• Advertisement

Next you’ll be telling us you were delighted we won the URC last season.

Anyway , enough of that, Back to the real stuff now,

what the probable team for the crusaders match , assuming all ireland players will be unavailable inc u20s

1. wycherly
    2. scannell
    3. Ryan
    4. Wycherly
    5. coombes
    6. kendellan
    7. hodnett
    8. gleeson
    9. PFP
    10. carbery
    11. obrien
    12. nankevil
    13. Frisch
    14. mccarthy
    15. Daly

subs are whoever is left standing

16.archer, 17 Clarke, 18 Knox, 19, Quinn, 20 butler, 21 coughlan, 22 ?, 23 ?

Any word on Jack Daly or JOS? They've been injured so long you'd nearly forget about them.

Scrub gleeson from that as he’s away with u20s

Crusaders is in two weeks? Yes? That might be enough time to see Haley back, I think he was pictured training during the week. Surely Zebo will be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah aloooof, this just reads like “if everything goes exactly our way then we’ll be fine, so everything is fine”.

Rugby is played in the winter so the idea that Munster deliberately have a game plan that simply doesn’t work in wet weather is either utter rubbish or an incredibly terrible idea. Half the season is wet weather.

And all teams suffer injuries. How many of the starting XV yesterday were first choice? 12? And the bench wasn’t that callow. Ryan, Wycherley and Carbery for example. Even guys like Kendellan and Patterson are reasonably experienced. It’s not like it was a bunch of Academy lads out there.

Yes I know Munster are struggling in the row, but they also had 3 of their top 4 half backs, their first choice centres and a back 3 that was as good as first choice. Munsters pack fronted up well throughout. It was game management that cost them. Munster weren’t controlling where the game was being played. The people who control that are the half backs, aided somewhat by their centres and/or back three. It’s a fair criticism to be levelled at them. And one that Rowntree levelled at them too.

I've no doubt at all that Crowley will learn from this. He’s shown an ability to do so over the last year. But it is currently a problem.

This is like a game of whack a mole . I’m out !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s lucky because you didn’t control it. Something that you couldn’t control went in your favour. You were lucky. Not sure how that’s even a discussion point???

We were playing the top team in the English premiership, we lost by 3 points, we missed two conversions that would have won it for us. We lost a lock during the game, replaced by a back rower, who is soon to be a 20yo.

Reading some of the reaction here you'd swear we lost by 40 points

• Advertisement

We manufactured a position in attack where their 10 felt he had to make a completely reckless tackle to stop a try.

That's not lucky. That's a justified red card, the laws being applied, and Munster being the deserved beneficiares of playing vs 14.

And our 9 didn't return to the field after it. What part of that is lucky? "Went in our favour" makes it sound like a marginal decision where we got the run of the green. It wasn't remotely close to that.

Advertisement