Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As you say, I think that we have to be realistic in expectations here.

Expecting bus drivers to keep up with all of the network changes isn't realistic. Most won't. It's just too much to remember.

Now, the NTA do let themselves down by not providing a network map or updating the one that they published as part of BusConnects as each phase happens. The CEO recently quite bizarrely said at an Oireachtas Committee hearing that she thought that would be too much work.

Similarly the lack of TfL style maps at bus stops, showing possibilities is a major shortcoming. They may happen once the network is finalised, but that is some time away.

The NTA have recently tendered for a single point of contact information centre which will link in all of the PSO operations.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Now, the NTA do let themselves down by not providing a network map or updating the one that they published as part of BusConnects as each phase happens. The CEO recently quite bizarrely said at an Oireachtas Committee hearing that she thought that would be too much work.

Id assume she meant it would be too much work to do now and keep up to date while the network is in such flux due to the BusConnetcs changes. I’d assume they plan to do the network maps once all the BusConnects network changes are complete.

Probably a network map of the core lettered radial and orbital routes.

At the moment a map like this would look weird being a mishmash of some lettered routes and other numbered routes seemingly picked at random.

I don’t agree with that at all.

A network map (even at interim phases) is important as it shows people where they can go and more importantly where they can connect.

It’s not rocket science to do it - it just involves amending the existing maps that they have from BusConnects, and it is probably all the more important as the changes are implemented.

Given the extended timeframe between phases, I’d suggest it’s not as difficult a task as suggested.

The numbering is subsidiary to it.

Journey planners tell people how to get from A to B, but a map tells people where they can go. Based on much of the confusion following the recent changes in South Dublin, I would think a map is a pre-requisite.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Great explanation, but one small nit pick and just to add extra context:

1) Every bus has a GPS transponder which sends the live location of the bus every 30 seconds to the system.

There is no such thing as a “GPS Transponder”, transponder means a device that can both send and receive, but that isn’t how GPS works.

The device on the bus would be called a GPS tracker or GPS receiver.

GPS satellites can only send a signal, they can’t receive anything from the ground (well of course except from their mission controllers). And GPS receivers in our smartphones, buses, etc can only receive that signal and triangulate it, they can’t transmit anything.

So how does the bus transmit it’s location? well it also has a separate radio to connect to the mobile networks and it transmits the data over the mobile network back to the data center that has the servers that work out the location.

Basically the bus has the same sort of hardware that your smart phone has, a GPS receiver and a separate mobile network radio to send and receive data on the mobile networks.

The data center would then send the data out using the GTFS API to various apps like the TFI Live app, Transit, Google Maps etc. and also send that data to the RTPI screens over the mobile networks.

There is no direct connection between RTPI screens and buses.

As an aside, I would assume and hope they actually use A-GPS, A-GPS not only uses the transmissions from overhead satellites but also uses the transmissions and locations of mobile phone cell towers for more accurate and faster positioning.

In future I’d hope they upgrade to multi band GPS which greatly improves the accuracy of GPS in city centers with tall buildings, etc.

BTW just to be pedantic, yes there are some GPS devices that can now transmit your location to overhead satellites, they however aren’t transmitting the data to GPS sats which are like 20,000 km up, but instead sending it to separate low earth orbit sats which are only about 1,000km up. The latest iPhones can do this, but it is really only useful for emergency situations like lost hikers, people on boats, etc. it is too slow for buses.

I suspect they want to do a big bang marketing campaign with a fancy new network map once the entire network is done.

Help promote the new BusConnects network and try and attract drivers out of their cars and onto buses.

While obviously not ideal for existing bus users, I do think it is the correct approach from a high level strategy of trying to get drivers out of their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

When buses have to pull in for the "short delay to get the bus back on schedule" (this is far too frequent and the schedules clearly need to be revised), why do they always sit with the front doors open? It's every single time and even during this freezing cold weather of the past fortnight. Is there a valid reason?

That’s probably exactly what they want to do but the recent changes really have caused immense confusion across south Dublin, and unnecessarily so in my opinion, and that’s down to poor communications.

It’s very hard for people to visualise the current network without a map.

For example many of the people in Knocklyon to UCD who previously used the 175 have only thought of the 15 or 15b and S6 combination, while changing to the S4 at Rathgar (with its increased frequencies) might in fact be a better option which a map help visualise.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Mathematician

I think the lack of a bus map is very off putting for people who rarely travel by bus (and even for people that do often travel by bus who are going to a new destination), and an updated bus map should be available on the TFI website whenever a change is made.

This would not be a big job at all if an editible pdf were available (where the coloured routes were not 'flattened' into the pdf). It would simply be a matter of deleting the old route (which would take a couple of seconds) and adding the new route, which of course would take a bit longer, but it would be minutes rather than hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

100%

When it's close to completion they should do a big marketing campaign.

They should publish journey times of car versus bus. Also publish cost of car journey versus taking the bus.

In Vienna they've an annual public transport ticket of €365 which works on bus, tram and commuter train.

I think something like that would be good. "Unlimited travel for €1 a day" - would be a good promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The person I was quoting was expecting them to know things about the destination. Not how to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Younger irregular bus users would use Google maps or other journey planner apps, the older generations would use maps (paper or electronic). I think, maps are getting out of fashion and aren't that important as they used to be.

I don't think the journey planners are really very good. They sometimes miss the obvious routes and sometimes give some very strange advice. The sort of thing I mean was being advised to get off the 17 at the west end of Bird Avenue and wait for the last 142 of the morning when going to UCD (this was before the introduction of the S4). This would save a bit of a walk but in my opinion it was very poor advice since what would happen if the 142 didn't show up (even if it was on the tracker, it might be as phantom bus)?

If you regularly travel on this route then you would know this, but we want buses to appeal to irregular users (who might then become regular users), and after a few experiences of using advice such as this, they will go back to their cars. We need to give the maximum amount of information that we can to these sort of users to encourage bus travel, and as I said above, it is really a small amount of work to prepare a map compared to preparing timetables, say.

I am not saying that we should have maps instead of journey planners, I am saying we should have both, and also full timetables and also the pdf that gives the frequencies throughout the day. The more information the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I good journey planner shouldn't give such suggestions, but if it does, a user can change settings, ie. more or less walking, walking speed etc. I find a Transit app giving good results most of the times.

The problem is an irregular user would not even know it is a bad suggestion and even if they did, they would not know what app was best or what settings to change. A map could indicate peak hour only services in a different colour so a user would know to beware. I think the more information available to users on the TFI website/TFI app the better.

Again, a journey planner can only tell you how to get between two predetermined places.

A network map can show you where you can go.

As the other poster says, it allows people to actually see what all of their options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Id expect a bus driver to know what routes their services crossed, to be fair, especially outside the core

On a 46a "Hi mr Driver where can I get a 37 to Castleknock ? " "I'll give you a shout at Hanlons to get out next stop"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Exactly.

It's not that complicated.

I wouldn't expect them to know the entire network but they should know where their bus intersects with the orbitals. There's only a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if thats the case how come when I was waiting for a 7/7a on the rock road I watched the RPTI display count 3 buses down from 20 mins plus to due now and have none of them show due to some protest or other in town blocking the place up?

Surely if it took bus location into account the time wouldn't have counted down and disappeared? It would have just been stuck at due in 30 mins etc?

Felt like it was predictive based on terminus departure time only.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

At the current lacksadisial rate of roll-out, the changes probably won’t be completed until 2027. That will be more than a decade after the original idea was kicked off.

That’s a ridiculous timescale since entire new housing estates will have been built in that timeframe. And they won’t be served by the “improved” bus service due to them not being there when the bus connect rerouting plans were being drawn up.

The foot dragging on rolling this out is just crazy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

If the bus isn't reporting real time info, and the service hasn't been cancelled it will display the scheduled time (in the app, it marks this scenario as scheduled, but doesn't differentiate on the roadside screens), so this is likely what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's just that some drivers can't be bothered with even the most basic customer service or knowledge. I was on a bus the other day, and someone wanted to go to Ormond Quay - the driver didn't even know where that was. Eventually he asked if that's in the city centre (must be the 'Quay' that gave it away), and managed to press the right button.

I understand that they can't know every single bus route or road in the city, but some don't even try to be helpful. At least they need to be able to answer "does this bus go to x?" with a "no", preferably with a "no, you'll want the (route number)".

It’s a far more practical problem than “foot dragging”.

Every new phase requires additional staff.

Recruiting and retaining new staff is proving very challenging for the bus companies since Covid.

I’m not really sure how you propose that they magically solve that overnight.

In that case, I would guess that the buses presumably hadn’t made to the terminus on their previous trips in the other direction due to the protest.

For the system to display live times requires the driver to be signed in on their ticket machine for that trip. If they aren’t, it will display the scheduled times. To cancel them requires the controller to manually intervene and mark the trips off as cancelled.

Therefore I suspect in that particular case that the system was displaying the scheduled times rather the live ones for those departures - they should have been marked as cancelled but I suspect that the controllers were having a rather challenging afternoon given the disruption that was ongoing across the routes operating through the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

TBF, there are plenty of times buses aren't running due to a driver not being available, and they never get marked as cancelled on the real time display.

You'd obviously make an exception for protests or anything unusual like that which makes it hard to predict, but the manual intervention by Inspectors to cancel a route could be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I think that the RTPI displays on stops would be a little bit better if they didn't show the countdown but the scheduled time in hh:mm format for trips that aren't confirmed to run (i.e. logged in). This is typical in some continental systems: the timing is somewhat shown, but the pax are somewhat warned that there is no predictive timing available so be cautious.

Agreed, would be useful for the boards to display scheduled or whatever. I'm sure there are plans, but I guarantee you this causes more people to get annoyed about public transport than protests or a bus driver not knowing about an orbital.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Anyone questioning whether a bus driver is only expected to drive a bus, and not expected to help customers with connections, should read the mission statement from Dublin Bus.

They mention customer experience like 10 times. Clearly Dublin Bus expects a lot more from their drivers than just driving the bus, as do their customers.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/policys-and-procedures/dublin-bus-strategy

Dublin Bus has a dedicated customer care service. Nowhere in that mission statement does it say that it falls to bus drivers to do that job.

Feel free to contact them if you want to know about routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ffs, ok let's cut to the chase, have we set a date for the public crucifiction of the guy who didn't know something?

Get the Internet folks and stop delaying commuters by doorstepping drivers with questions.

Advertisement