Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Sure - and I've stood at the tap-in barriers at Gatwick station waiting for 0931 many a time to get Thameslink to Blackfriars for that lovely offpeak fare, straight into the city with only East Croydon , London Bridge as stops. Cheaper and far less stops than the now crowded Elizabeth line

But yes, as I said above, Heathrow is useful in the minority of my cases - Slough and Reading so yes it matters where you want to go, but for the vast majority of my London destinations, Gatwick wins every time, been delayed too many times at City .

There must have been hilarious reactions at FR HQ. Not one single reason has been advanced by EI for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I used Southend a few times when Ryanair offered it – the train goes to the same Liverpool Street and it's much, much less congested.

These days Gatwick is my preferred option.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

DUO went to Bordeaux this morning for maintenance.

Is there any reason why it used EI 992 callsign?

I thought all 330 maintenance call signs are designated EI2505.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I mean you're basing your take that its madness off your own personal experiences.

The fact that you point to swapping between FR and EI dending on who is cheapest kind of indicates that loyalty isn't really a thing for you thus it in many ways supports EI's decision - which I'm sure is likely based off them being able to redeploy the LGW aircraft on better yielding routes.

I'm far from an EI apologist here, but I just don't see the value in making the argument based off your own personalized take on London transport options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The historical flight number system dates from the 1960's (flights to France, Spain are 5xx), last digit, even numbers east bound, odd, west bound

For non revenue positioning it should be 99x

2XXX is normally an additional service to top of the schedule, so you see these around sporting events, the XXX is the normal format flight number

1XXX is a rescheduled flight where the original was deferred for some reasons

4XXX are charter operations

• Advertisement

Loyalty ? I've worked for Aer Lingus in the past and know exactly what they're like. This is about reduction of choice, if this was Donegal far enough but its not, every time I've been on an EI LGW flight its been full. this is them pulling out of a core business market - and yes, its an individual take but for my view its like saying lets stop serving Boston cos JFK is where the premium revenue is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Personally I can't understand the withdrawal from LGW. It may not have been a stellar route, but it has been operating multiple times daily for decades now.

However I'm pretty sure that EI are doing so based on metrics that they have. Either traffic number, yield, or perhaps an IAG plan.

Perhaps the transfers to Virgin have dried up? Perhaps less high yield pax are travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Vueling would have been a decent bet to replace it - don’t they still have a base there?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tranfers to Virgin are 0 since 2020, cause Virgin pulled the entire base. That has to have had an impact; I remember them having buses to pick up at the bottom of the steps due to how many were on the early out on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR738

Anyone know if EI had more frequencies to Gatwick before covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They were at 5 a day at one point in the past, from memory. Some rotations had been on-and-off, e.g. the late Saturday, for years and years.

They had a micro-base at Gatwick at one point, operating various routes to Spain primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Thats what I was thinking Tenger. The transfers to Virgin were always very strong, especially for the LAS flight. I always assumed one of the reasons that they didn't launch LAS was because of the money made on the transfer flights to LGW.

The only thing I can think of is IAG towers wanting to keep fortress LHR slots for some reason and having to give up the EI LGW slots to make it look like a trade ( silly I know )

I really hope Easyjet give it a go its an absolute no brainer for them to get into Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Orange vs Blue would be a death match worth watching, the passenger cap might however be a blocker to getting the popcorn out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I remember in summer 2022 the LGW flights were still packed with BA connections to Florida, Vegas and the Caribbean, obviously probably not as much as pre Covid but that element was certainly still there

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Didn't easyjet do Dublin for a short time a decade or so ago... Ryanair wiped the floor with them and they were gone pretty quickly.

Regarding the connections via LGW I guess there's little money in it for EI (full flight or not) or there's a refocus on LHR connections (or possibly new direct routes from DUB or MAN) aka LAS/Caribbean. Better scheduling for connecting with AA at their hubs (MIA for islands, South America/Mexico) would alleviate the going east to travel west UK connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Easy have never operated to DUB. They served Cork and Knock for a while though IIRC.

But if EI pull LGW how do the freed up dublin airport slots work ? Are they free for anyone to bid for on the same basis or do EI have them on grandfather rights even though they want to do something else ?

I would assume the slots are EI’s to do as they wish both at Dub and LGW

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Oh... You know I think you're right... It was a short time at SNN that I might be misremembering.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure, on the Dublin side all slots are allocated by DAA who have to approve same, If I was easyjet on the phone I'd be asking why can't we fly those slots , five or six slot pairs at each end isn't chickenfeed and the traffic's there to be flown.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Re MIA connections for South America and the Caribbean - would be great but I imagine they would have announced this at the same time. Also, they would really need to go daily to Miami and land at the AA terminal there. An earlier arrival time might be needed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If EasyJet wanted slots they will get them. They could offer a decent schedule like EI did. FR scheduling to the UK is chaotic over the last few years and lost all consistency.

DAA have said they would like another major carrier to reduce the leverage EI/FR.

I would imagine EI have well planned and executed their intentions with any available slots at their disposal, I really wouldn’t buy that they dropped a route and then thought oh yeah what will we do with those slots now …

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

Certainly, but slots are for a certain destination, not "their disposal" , they are not EI's to allocate , they're DAAs .

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Ei due heading to Manchester today is this to cover a heavy maintenance on one of the uk a330

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Ei duz

• Registered Users Posts: 17,717 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don’t think that’s right with regard to Dublin.

Airports don’t dictate where airlines fly - the airlines decide that.

The exception to that was the former British Midland domestic slots at LHR which had to be used for domestic flights as part of the approval of the BA takeover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

I think Stelios actually has family in the EIKN area.

Advertisement