Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It’s not the only one that matters on a discussion forum on the internet. People have followed the story they have their guesses. He was a scumbag anyway so I’ve no issue with people accusing him. I haven’t seen one person claim that there was enough evidence to jail him so give it a rest.

Post edited by lbunnae on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Christmas didn't have the big lead up it has now. Many people didn't decorate until Christmas Eve and celebrated Christmas over Christmas instead of starting in late November or early December :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Funny that this thread is still up and that some people are unabashedly rejoicing in the death of a person. Hypocrites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Possibly

Why leave it so late to chop them

He was very unlucky with turkeys and Christmas trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Its almost possible to say the death of Du Plantier was the "scoop" Bailey was waiting for as a journalist.

• Advertisement

Who believes he got out of bed drunk at midnight Sunday and went to another building to type an article for the following Sundays paper ?

Not plausible imo

Why not?

Why not chop it down only for when you are going to decorate? The tree stays fresher or some people are last minute.

That we're debating such aspects as part of a discussion of a murder shows how weak and flimsy the "evidence" against Bailey is.

If he got the scratches at the scene, why did he leave no trace there?

And if he got scratched from briars at the scene, as AGS say, these would be deeper cuts not light scratches - so why did a dermatologist who met Bailey a few days afterwards not notice them? They had healed, indicating they were not deeper cuts received at the scene.

Very unlucky innocent people suffer miscarriages of justice. Often they are oddballs or outsiders.

It is why we have offices like the DPP to validate evidence and the basis under which it was gathered.

We're dealing with balance of probabilities and opinions here is all

It's not a court of law and.nobody can prove either way

No idea what you are on about. Can you provide sources for your claim as to where he was at midnight on the sunday?

What's your opinion on his alibi above ?

Plausible?

• Advertisement

Good job too if you think some of the flimsy evidence you have cited should have any sway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

no motive, no evidence, the only reason people think it was him because of a stitch up by the garda and lies of one woman

LIES

What alibi? I have asked you for your source for what you have outlined and you don't have one. It's not the one I have heard or are familiar with.

Getting up early after a night out to finish an article. That is how some people operate, even or especially after a night out, I had colleagues who could do a blitz of work at 6 or 7am, but will probably crash after lunch.

Garda incompetence aside, there was a reason Bailey was the chief suspect. Firstly you couldn't rely on anything that came out of his mouth. He denied ever knowing or meeting Du Plantier. Multiple independent witnesses said otherwise, including that he actually knew her quite well.

Bailey had met Toscan du Plantier, says producer – The Irish Times

If he had nothing to hide, why continue to tell lies?

He also had a history of violence and threats towards women.

And any alibi he came up with was to be taken with several grains of salt.

Very clear why he was suspect number one, but getting a conviction was always going to be difficult, as it frequently is in these kinds of cases - eg Richard Satchwell - people were 99% sure he did it and he was talking a load of nonsense, but the gardai actually proving it was another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Bieng a scumbag and an oddball (which he certainly was) doesn't make him a murderer. A lot of the armchair Colombos need to get a grip. We'll never find out what happened thanks to the botched Garda investigation.

It's been well documented and was recounted by Senan Maloney today as said to him

Are you saying he didn't claim to have left the house after midnight to write an article for the following Sundays paper ?

I think you need to read up a bit before asking me to backup established facts

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭foxsake

was he violent before the murder? or did that situation cause him to change . I don't know.

sure its worth exploring your theory.

the truth is we probably will never know.

my own view as i said above is that as a booze hound he would be incapable of not leaving evidence behind him after a savage murder.

I have no idea what you are saying, you are contradicting yourself from post to post.

You are the one who in a post above made this claim: "Who believes he got out of bed drunk at midnight Sunday."

Where does Senan Maloney say that? If you can't provide a source it will be assumed you are just making stuff up now.

From the article maybe don't be so hasty and what are these contradictions?

Anyway I'm done with U it's clear U don't engage in reasonable discussion

"It is admitted in the witness statements of both Bailey and Thomas that he left their house after midnight on the night of Sophie’s murder. He claimed he needed to go to an outhouse; something about writing an article for the Sunday Tribune. But it was a Sunday night – there was never any rush on that story."

"That’s what occurred when Bailey, who had been drinking all night, went to Sophie’s house seeking sex. Don’t forget she answered the door after presumably shouting “Who is it?” while in bed. The answer meant it was someone she knew."

• Advertisement

Nothing that came out of Baileys mouth was trustworthy. He was a noted liar, no-one doubts that. He admitted to some people he did it, said to others he didn't. That's alarm bells right there about his credibility.

Anything he said, you had to think the opposite. A bit like Richard Satchwell.

He said he didn't know Du Plantier. Multiple witnesses said otherwise. Who do you believe here? Certainly not Bailey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think its very strange that the husband didn't come to Ireland after the murder with her parents and son - it's very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

His form as a “wife” beater predates the murder by a number of years- officially 1993, 1996 and 2001 - may well have been other instances and as for his life before coming to Ireland who knows what he got up to

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30024827.amp

Your posts are all over the shop.

You were asked for as source for your claim that he got up "at midnight". Your words, not mine.

After three times of asking you haven't been able to back this up.

Self discrediting nonsense, typical of those who think Bailey is guilty based on garbage evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yeah but given how the gardai and the chief forensic examiner botched things, there could have been a wealth of evidence left at the scene. we'll never know.

(Note: I'm not saying that's enough to convict him - it's obviously not nearly enough for a criminal conviction. But out of court, the rest of us are entitled to have suspicions about him.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

That sounds like a description of Ian Bailey. Was it meant to be?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Well according to his ex wife, yes he was violent before that.

There's alarm bells all over the case.

He said he didn't "know" her, in the phrasing I saw.

Even if a very brief 30 second introduction did occur, does that meet the bar for "knowing" someone?

And there's considerable debate as to whether that introduction even occurred.

One of the witnesses Alfie Lyons wasn't sure. Like what does 90% sure even mean? Either you are sure or you are not.

One of the other witnesses only remembered it years later, an entirely forgettable introduction of two other people by another person. And was a criminal, who could have had their own reasons to curry favour with the Guards.

Anyone else who pops up in relation to the subject either has their own reason to mention it, or miraculously remembers it years later, or isn't sure, or is suspiciously sure for something so unremarkable that occurred years earlier.

All of it is dodgy.

Source? The comments I saw state he was never violent towards her (if you mean the ex wife in England). He would take out his anger on objects.

• Advertisement

I'm not engaging with your rhetoric about being all over the shop and contradicting myself in every post

I'll finish by saying you asked me where does Senan Maloney say he got out of bed drunk after midnight and I provided clear proof from the article in the 2 quotes above

That's a fact

Advertisement