Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Mikey Butler stole an All Star this year. He was poor again today and was looking for frees which is never good. The goal that wasn't was a huge blunder. O loughlin Gaels can feel very sore about that and justifiably so. Stack is a poor ref. Every fair shoulder is a foul for him ..I remember one perfect one executed by a Gaels fellow on David Burke.. Perfect shoulder but Stack buys Burke throwing the hurley in the air . That's becoming prevalent..the dive and hurley throw . David Reidy of alimerick is the best at it.

Paddy Deegan had a great first half and a poor second. Not much point in going on a solo only to give a diabolical handpass. St Thomas's deserved it in the end if only because they went all out and bare faced for the prize. O Loughlin gaels didn't and thats the bottom Line. Butler ,Deegan and Lawlor have lost a lot of All Ireland finals in the last 2 years, no fault of theirs but it has a corrosive effect.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

his Kieran’s college boys he picked

as for lads being good yesterday that’s the pint they haven’t got it when it mattered

the facts are there billy ryan 6 years trying mossy taking off in Leinster final all ire semie and final for the last 2 years

John Walsh top scorer in championship again last year

scored 1-15 in match fir kilkenny and got dropped because the great Brian did not like him but Brian could bring in Dwyer from the village give me a break

The facts now is all these great lads kilkenny have lost 9 out of the last 10 times we have played Wexford

I also said billy ryan was one of the best players for kilkenny yesterday which is a very sorry position for Kilkenny as he has showing he not up to inter county hurling

as for mossy he showed he not up to it either

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hogans heroes

Mikey butler stole an all star, what sort of stuff are you taking.

yes the goal should have being given but molley should have straight red and heary very lucky not to see red his tackle way more dangerous than st Thomas

mikey butler very poor gave away 3/4 pints

best team won they deserved it

O’Loughlin’s players going around laughing at boro players saying they bottled it against shamrocks when down to 14 well what they did to day Was worse so I presume they bottled it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Indeed. But where that poster is from explains the sour grapes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Fintan Burke should have getting a red card for that incident before half time highly dangerous. As regards the sending off it was like the all ireland 2019 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

You only appear after a loss but to start after a Walsh cup match is a bit much.

Bar starting 6 John Walsh's in the forward line you never mention any alternative players who should be in. So come on who should be in the squad? Give us some names instead of repeatedly slagging off players and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Is m rice not teaching in Waterford these days ?

mossy was our top goal scorer year before last just because players are taken off doesn’t mean there not good enough plenty of good players have bad days and get taken off

mossy and billy have started all irelands under 2 different managers that tells me there doing something right so it doesn’t suggest there not up to it

b Cody is gone time to move on as I told you last time you banged on about j walsh he dropped himself off the panel under b Cody the last time he was there

All these great players as you mentioned have 4 Leinster titles played in 2 all Irelands

Whens the last time Wexford won a knockout championship match they bet us in a Leinster final in 2017 maybe

Would you like to come up with some alternative players to the players you don’t think are good enough ???

1.J.Walsh 2.??????? 3.?????

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

It's easy sort Paddy Deegan for Kilkenny. Play him at wing forward. It would be a great move.

It has to happen. Scoring points from centre back but leaving gaping holes at the same time isn't on. The media seem to love it but it causes trouble for the other backs to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

OLG will feel sore and rightly so about the goal that wasn't, it was a huge mistake by the umpires. However, the game was theirs to win yesterday and they failed to take the opportunity. I completely disagree with those of you blaming the referee. If anything St Thomas could feel that the sending off was harsh but they just got on with it and actually upped their game. He might have made a few calls that people disagreed with but overall I don't think he can be named as a reason for OLG losing. The poster who accused him of getting a decision wrong for a shoulder on Daithi Burke might want to watch the clip again - the shoulder was slightly mistimed so he was shouldered when not in posession of the ball, correct call by the referee imho.

Ultimately OLG lost as they couldn't convert their posession into scores and St Thomas were simply better at taking theirs. The winning score was a worthy way to win the game, credit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hurlaway

Olg did convert possession in to scores 1 17 to 18pts in fact but were denied an all Ireland by incompetent officials not by a team that outscored them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The winning score was unbelievable and you couldn't say it wasn't a fitting way to win a game. Yes better team over the hour won.

On my Mikey Butler comment. It was abit harsh. He shouldn't have got it but that's the All Star committee that has Marty Morrissey from my on county on it. Not alone is Marty a football man he also knows nothing about sport. So ther you go. Barry Nash is a Rolls Royce of a corner back and did his usual thing this year, yet no award.

On Mossy Keoghan. He was highly effective in 2022. Got alot of goals but he is unorthodox and when he's bad he's terrible. Was awful in the All Ireland . Hit the post with a simple point attempt and slipped badly when TJ teed him up . He probably is not a starter but a good sub.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Correct about the Burke incident, but if I recall correctly, shortly after that Burke took Butler out of it with a late hit that was even more clear cut. Went unpunished and Thomas's got a point from it

The ref got a lot wrong in yesterday's match but he wasn't responsible for the goal not been awarded. That was down to the umpires who positioned themselves wrong for a goal mouth incident. They had Hawkeye to call on for points but not for goals, so there was no need for both to stand behind the goal.

The GAA have spent big money on Hawkeye, and it's only in play at a few stadiums, but it doesn't monitor a goal which is three times the value of what it does monitor!

Some posters deliberately want to link the goal with the sending off to somehow justify O'Loughlins loss, rather than accept that it was a glaring incompetent incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Butler deserves his all star but was very poor yesterday, bullied off the ball and constantly making mistakes, he was also under massive pressure against Na Fianna. Huh Lawlor again was a colossus and St Thomas just stopped hitting the ball in to him and got great profit from the 2 corner backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭kksaints

I thought Huw Lawlor was lucky not to get sent off in the 2nd half when he dragged down the Thomas's player while on a yellow card. Didn't think he had his greatest game ever tbh.

There seems to be a reoccurring trend amongst Kilkenny teams both club and county of leaving the full back isolated one on one with the opposing full forward. It's a dangerous tactic as there's no cover so if the full back loses the duel it's an automatic goal chance. If we are to play with a free man in the backline which we end up doing most games as the opposition pull a forward back into the defence, then the free man has to be a lot deeper. Too often our backline gets pulled out of position leaving for a quick ball over the top to cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

IMO Paddy Deegans game management was very poor, constantly shooting under pressure, soloing up the pitch when he is to slow and getting turned over, short game was poor too, to many passes were of poor quality and left far to much space for the full back line, but tbh he has the best full back in the country behind him. They needed Deegan to be composed on possession and work the lines but he went and did the opposite.

For the last time

billy ryan playing for kilkenny 6 years has never played a good championship match his scoring return is dismal I not sure but people say he did not even hit the ball in all Ireland

mossy top scorer against Laois Westmeath Carlow in league play in championship dismal

he just not good enough

gaffney TJ John Walsh

mullin Deegan Cody

5 scoring forwards and the best ball winner

Because it’s the same old shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

It's hard to keep composure when you're under the physical pressure that Thomas's exerted and playing into what appeared to be a gale. Plus the ball was clearly a bar of soap. That said the ability to think clearly deserted them until the final few minutes (perhaps due to Thomas's completely retreating which allowing a the platform that had previously been denied). I saw an interview with Brian Hogan after and he bemoaned a lack of composure and too much of a tendency to bring it up the middle into traffic.

It's hard to know was it the sending off the galvanised Thomas's or was it the conditions but they pulled out the field and were happy in a much more compact shape which still allowed them to pick off long range scores with the breeze.

The controversies in the game have been well debated at this stage. No Hawkeye for goals, why are young referees not umpires for finals?, the sending off that should not have been, some borderlineline stuff on both sides in terms of challenges, and the unconscious bias to 'even things up' by giving the benefit of the doubt to the number 14 (who had lost the run of himself). I would normally subscribe to the opinion that an early denied score is unfortunate but not an excuse as it should be fixable but given the conditions I have to say a goal on the day was almost a 6 pointer.

So overall I would be disappointed for O'Loughlins but there was something about the demeanour of Thomas's - similar to their semi- that they just had a little more physicality and abandon (and perhaps luck).

I see you pick out one selector you did not mention the other ones

young Doyle playing senior hurling is a joke

that’s why Wexford have beating use 9 times out of ten

they came to our own back yard and beat use when it mattered

open your eyes the beatings we are getting in all irelands is terrible

we won last years Leinster final with look

it was a honour to get to play for kilkenny now every Tom dick and Harry can play

either have a selector or score a few frees oh get a few pints from play in junior match

the best player tullogher have is Walter and he is gone past it

4 thomastown lads played Saturday not one off them good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Could O'Loughlin Gaels not afford to buy gear for their players?? i can only assume thats why mikey butler wore limerick shorts yesterday

How do you know a lad is good enough unless you give him games doyle is young and has potential

Wexford have beat us when it mattered but where has it got them Leinster finals all Ireland semis all Ireland finals no they nearly got relegated last year

To get bet in an all Ireland you have to get there first something Wexford haven’t done cork got to an all Ireland a few years ago and got hammered who has given limerick a good run in an all Ireland final the last few years Waterford maybe for a bit where are they now

The Leinster final last year was one by players working hard and putting pressure on the Galway players and not giving up you make your own luck when you play to the final whistle like Thomas s yesterday

Not sure when it stopped becoming an honour to play for kk

Every Tom dick and Harry is getting a chance as you say as we need to find new players something b Cody did for years players from junior - senior clubs were brought in

So who would you replace b Ryan and mossy with

Not players that are already on the panel Mullen Cody etc

Pretty sure that it was mentioned on here that gaffney tried being part of a kk panel but had to drop himself off as his body was not able for the work load due to previous injury’s

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Are you really comparing the harsh sending off yesterday with the deliberate elbow in the head by Hogan? Take milder drugs man

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Have to agree with parts of this. I wonder did the management team get around to many games during the summer. Looks like they are just picking players who were part of the panel when they had them at under 20. Having being to lots of club games at all levels during the summer I find it hard to understand how players who failed to stand out at junior and intermediate level for their clubs are being brought into the senior panel.

On the Thomastown players, surely they deserve a bit of a rest.

One player who deserves a call up when rested of course is David Fogarty.

I was at many of the matches during the summer and saw members of the management team at every single match.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Expect answer like that from ye shower. Barret acted well that day he played on the player yesterday had to be replaced due to injury from as you said the harsh sending off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hurlaway

Maybe you should change your drugs they seem to be affecting your vision

Advertisement