Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

No one is saying the driver is supposed be a be a tour guide. A very simple question, "is this the best stop to alight at to connect with the S4"?

Regular commuters know the routes and can Google quickly to confirm. But there are plenty of people who don't use the routes regularly, including elderly people, people with disabilities, parents with children going to a hospital appointment - to think that the bus driver is going to tell them

..."it's not my problem if you don't know the connecting route despite the fact I drive this route every day as my job - now either get off the bus or don't, I don't care".

I'm at a complete loss as to how we're even discussing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In every organisation there’s going to be bad apples.

We’ve spent 4 pages discussing 2 people out of a workforce of over 3,800 in Dublin Bus alone.

This is getting a bit ridiculous to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭cgcsb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Would you expect a Luas driver to be able to tell any of these people where the Luas might connect with a bus route? We are looking at an interconnected travel design with combination of Luas, Bus and Rail.

Dublin Bus have a customer contact number. Ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Thank you.

I think it's basic info to know where the bus he drives every day connects with the few orbitals on his route.

He didn't even know what I was talking about.

Maybe cos the S2 was relatively new, he hadn't heard of it but you'd think bus drivers would chat about these things or they'd be informed by management at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I saw there were 90 new posts in this thread and thought something interesting must have happened. Nope, just page after page of argument about one driver.

endless circular arguments, it's the Boards way, some people just have way too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

That would be a good excuse if BusConnect was an idea thought up last month and sprung on the unsuspecting bus companies.

It completely lacks credibility when the idea was kicked off back in 2017 and the bus companies have had seven years to plan for and recruit additional personnel that they were clearly going to need with any increase in the frequency of services on the old routes never mind on an expanded service with new routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Heard from a few sources (latest 2 days ago) that the plan for E routes is this summer (june).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Getting back on topic, is there any likelihood that either the E1 or E2 will run 24/7?

There would be strong demand for 24 hour service on both the N11 to Bray and Dun Laoghaire corridors on the southside and Glasnevin/Phibsboro/Ballymun corridor on the Northside.

Extending the E1 from the proposed terminus at Northwood to Dublin Airport could increase the demand for a 24 hour service. It would take some of the pressure off the 41 on the Whitehall/Santry corridor and would give people another option to get to the airport by Dublin Bus 24 hours a day. I have got the 41 to the airport between 3am and 4am twice over the last few weeks and the bus has always been full from Abbey Street. They need to increase the frequency to every 15 minutes. However, making the E1 a 24 hour service and extending it to the Airport would definitely help too.

Has E skipped the queue ahead of F for implementation? I've heard this said but havent gotten anything firm on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Found a picture of the driver we're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Merricat

This thread has definitely gone downhill. I think complaints about bus drivers might be better off in another thread.

I've used all four Southern Orbitals, my experience has been broadly positive, but I have to say the S8 has been a disappointment. There are far too many cancellations for a service that isn't that regular as it is. I've stopped considering it as a transport option, to be honest, until I see an improvement.

The S6 started out a bit irregular in terms of times, but it's a lot better now, I find it very good and the increased frequency is great, as I travel in both directions fairly often. It seems super busy at UCD and Dundrum, as frequent as it is, I think they could add more services at peak times.

I've only travelled on the old 18 part of the S2, so no change there, but the increased frequency of buses is good, even if it always seems to be in traffic.

The S4 is the real surprise. It's so frequent and so fast. Not sure if it's getting the passenger numbers yet, but it's great. I used it as a short hop to bridge the gap the other day when trying to get to work - I wouldn't have got to work on time otherwise. Also the frequency and link at Kylemore Luas is a massive improvement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Chuckle does anyone have any busconnect news then ? With 2 spines back from planning I'd expect some rumbling anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Yes, last I heard re F vs E. And O hopefully for September.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

Did you miss the impact of Covid on the availability of staff across a wide range of service sectors?

There is a universal shortage of drivers across the entire bus industry now and not just in Ireland.

It’s not going to be solved overnight despite what you seem to think.

Incidentally the final plan was only decided in September 2019.

It's possible both will be 24/7. Yes an airport extention woukd make sense

It might make more sense as the E Spine is intertwined with the “O” (as it replaces the 46a along the NCR) - that would also result in the “O” being in place before any reduction in other services along the South Circular Road.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

This is a nitpick but the terminology is important:

Spines are the actual groups of bus routes (A, B, etc.) being implemented as part of the revised network - there are eight spines and three (C, G & H) have so far been implemented

Core bus corridors (CBCs) are the infrastructure projects going through planning - there are 12 CBCs and 2 have received planning approval.

There haven’t been any further updates on the CBCs as yet.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I've heard a lot of confusion in relation to the spines for example I've heard multiple times people referring to the Southern orbitals being referred to as the the S spine same with the the N4 and N6.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Does anyone outside this forum actually discuss bus spines and orbitals??😆 I'd have thought the general public just quote bus numbers or destinations...

The E before the F spine makes a lot of sense. The F spine, at least the Northside part of it, isn't going to change that much, though a 24/7 route would be handy.

Each of the forthcoming Spines are likely to have 24/7 operation - the question is whether they will be the normal daytime routes or a night time merged route.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Just for the record, this was not my argument and I don't really care about it. I only chimed in, 3 pages later, because it was getting ridiculous and wanted to move on.

People can disagree with original posters observation, but do it in a constructive way - don't crucify the comment then wonder why the argument continues for 3pages 🙄

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A little bit of news on the Next Gen ticketing.

Seemingly the contract is out for tender, they expect it to be awarded in the next two months, with delivery in 2025 or 2026:

And yes, it is ridiculous that it is all taking this long!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Also, maybe I missed someone else posting it, but back in December a contract was awarded for next gen automatic vehicle location (AVL).

It will replace the different AVL systems on different operators at the moment with a single system across all PSO operators. Sounds like it will have some interesting features:

Elements of the solution include enhanced artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms, AI-powered monitoring of bus lane blockages, and automatic passenger counting. The model will enable existing and new bus operators in Ireland “to utilise improved service control tools for managing operations,” Trapeze ITS adds. Enhanced reporting will inform NTA of network success while optimising costs.

Hopefully it will help make RTPI better.

Sorry, just laughing at the idea that every technology tender will include AI from now on.

I know, though I do think it makes sense for AVL/RTPI. I can see how pulling in data from various sources, weather, historical traffic levels, accidents on roads, holidays, etc. could allow AI to make more accurate bus arrival times then simple RTPI could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Is there any plans for any routes that go from Firhouse/Knocklyon/Ballycullen etc to the airport. The only bus that is anyway close that goes to the airport is the 16 but that is a distance away and takes forever.

Advertisement