Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

I’ve noticed it is now possible for me to purchase an additional season ticket. I wonder if they have reallocated the tickets that weren’t renewed and made them available for season ticket holders? They haven’t made them available for general sale anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thanks.

It's gonna be tough to find a venue when you factor in that other counties are not going to want us going around ripping up their pitches just to save our own.

All the football games are down for Mick Neville which is a pity (for me at least)

League fixtures not great this year. The only exciting away day is spoiled by the fact that the whole of Dublin is booked out for the rugby. Tipp is Saturday night which I'm not fond of so Galway at home on Paddy's Day is the only one I'm really looking forward to.

I did notice that there are now 3 or 5 game packages for the league. Sadly can't book it yet because of the Antrim game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I like the night games. There isn't enough of em. I think its a huge opportunity missed in having only one Munster Championship game at night this season

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

FYI lads, this game now starts at 1pm tomorrow

Good win for Ard Scoil. I wasn't at it but seems like the pitch was a quagmire. 66% of the team from Clare.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Are they from Clare or are they from North Limerick like the Casey's 🤣

• Think it's the first time I remember that many Clare lads on the team. Fair play to them. Seems underage in Clare is going in the right direction. I'd fancy ye for a 7th Munster in the next 5 to 6 years

No body but nobody ever uses the geographical term 'North Limerick'...except you 'breezy1985'. Caseys are from Meelick ,play for a Northside Club. Those 10 starters were all from official Clare clubs as opposed to Na Piarsaigh which is a Tipperary and Clare run club.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭moby2101

Limerick v Cork postponed again !!

East Clare clubs have had a good representation on the ASR panels for a good 15 years now - I remember seeing a feature/article before the 2013 Limerick Clare All Ireland semi final based on the players on both panels who had played together for ASR.

ASR isn’t quite the “nursery” it is often portrayed as - the reasons for their success are quite straightforward;

1-Na Piarsaigh got their house in order and since the mid 00’s have been providing a healthy supply of quality underage players right on ASR’s doorstep.

2-Widening of the catchment/enrolment net. For an inner city school which could easily cater only for Limerick city children they have been somewhat “flexible” in their enrolment. Every school must have a published enrolment policy. Theirs is something like male students, local feeder primary schools, son of past pupil, random selection. Their ‘random’ selection has an awful knack of randomly selecting talented hurlers and rugby players from all over county Limerick and east Clare. Only for Flannan’s being a Harty power they would be reaching further into county Clare. Even a school such as Caimins - who would be no slouches in terms of their hurling - can struggle to dissuade Sixmilebridge and Cratloe hurlers from picking ASR.

I’m also aware that ASR have gone to great lengths to accommodate transport for pupils who live far away from the school bus catchment areas.

3- recruitment of a handful of teachers with good hurling pedigree and experience.

The Clare boys on ASR is nothing new and not surprising at present given Clare’s AI winning minors are all in 5th/6th year.

The little marginal gains make all the difference in the Harty and Croke Cup competitions and as such it’s probably fair to say that none of the ASR success would have happened without recruiting the Clare players over the years and the likes of Declan Hannon within our own county who lived nowhere near the school and had no claim to a place in the school only for the ‘random’ selection policy.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

It was inevitable with this storm. Time to just give up on it now.

Just toss a coin or something to see who plays Waterford.

Let Cork play them. We have Tipp next weekend anyway.

Ya just call it as a walk over in favour of Cork.

Doesn't really matter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Not just saying this as a hindsight merchant but didn't understand when it was rescheduled Wednesday morning due to the frozen pitch that it was fixed for today rather than yesterday, it was clear then the forecast for today was very poor, also was the 4g pitch in UL ever an option over the last 2 weeks or would it only cater for a tiny crowd?

I think the problem with UL is you can't control the crowd. Could be wrong on that though.

Probably should have just played the game in Mallow going by hindsight. Could only see half the pitch but at least it would have been done with.

Would be dealing with a cancelled final today instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

I see the Antrim match is down for Thurles.

Is that Ticketmaster ?

They have it down for Thurles in one place and Gaelic Grounds in another. Still no tickets on sale so nothing confirmed I assume.

Any official word on the Cork match ?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

Ye, just going off what is on ticketmaster although tickets not actually available to buy yet so TBC. Nothing I can see on the Cork match.....they might throw their hat at it at this stage.

Edit; Still not settled - might be on in the Gaelic Grounds afterall.

Limerick’s reasoning for exlploring alternative venue apparently not linked to protecting the pitch, none the wiser as to what the actual issue is though.

Post edited by NJSC1980 on

Munster GAA have confirmed that following discussions with Limerick, Cork and Waterford the Munster Hurling League won’t be completed as it is no longer possible to schedule the remaining games.

• Advertisement

Fair decision. Time for everyone to start concentrating on the league now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭billyhead

You would have to feel for players who would have got the chance to wear the county jersey and won't see league action.

There’s usually a cut of players after the Munster Hurling League alright - the fixtures fall very kindly in the league though. Antrim and Westmeath the first two weekends and then a weekend off. Could start the first two games with a half and half blend of established players and the new lads effectively on trial with a bench strong enough to get us out of trouble if the starting lineup doesn’t quite work out.

Then after the Westmeath game cut some players. I think we have something like 45 players on the panel at the moment.

Post edited by NJSC1980 on

We have a game against Tipp this weekend too which could see some get a run out.

The league fixtures fall nicely for Limerick. The coveted top 3 could be almost wrapped up by the time we face out 2 biggest tests.

Yep. Win those first three games then all focus on Ennis in April. Clare put a serious amount of emotional investment into playing Limerick and they will have been targeting our first round visit to Cusack Park for months now. We need to be ready for that.

Two things this team hasn’t done; beat Clare in Cusack Park, and aside from a handful of players involved in 2014; beat Tipp at Semple. Would be nice if they could tick those two boxes before their time is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Any word on where the Limerick v Antrim game is going to be played. Tickets still not available for season ticket holders. Not great fro any Antrim fans who wanted to make a weekend of it on Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,565 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It says Semple on Ticketmaster with "time TBC" so I assume it's a placeholder. Says Gaelic Grounds other places.

Very annoying because I can't buy the league match package until it's sorted. Also a pity it couldn't be a double header with the football match this weekend.

• Advertisement

I think the football was always fixed for Rathkeale. As I said earlier bad form on Antrim fans who might have hotels booked

Advertisement