Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Flament and Jelonch are both out of the 6N opener and there's serious doubts about the availability of Meafou and Cros. That's a lot quality players missing at lock and the backrow.

France still have strength in depth across those areas. But losing the former two players is a big loss regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yes and I would agree with you. But there are a few posters who seem to only want us to focus on the RWC as if that's the bread and butter of rugby.

If I was ever to sacrifice a 6Ns it would be the one in the year of the RWC but even then I'd find it hard to agree that we should sacrifice it.

Do you mean sacrifice the one preceding the RWC or following it?

I wouldn't agree with 'sacrificing' any of them, but the only one I think where there's an argument to take more gambles is the one following it. Even that cost us a lot back due to RWC rankings etc in previous tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

when should we seriously worry about our International Ranking for the world cup draw?

Before then concentrate on winning 6 nations ....

and blooding new players in the summer and autumn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

when should we seriously worry about our International Ranking for the world cup draw?

I'd argue never frankly. Outside of dropping out of the top 8 I don't think it ever mattered. With the new RWC format I think it matters even less.

• Advertisement

The draw for the 2027 RWC will take place in Jan 2026. This is a departure from previous, where only one year post RWC was given to change seeding (and last time effectively no time was given as even though the draw took place in Dec 2020, it was based on Jan 2020 rankings because of COVID).

So the next two 6 Nations, the summer tour to SA, wherever we tour in summer 2025 (during a Lions tour, so likely a softer tour, with minimal ranking points to be gained) and the 2025 Autumn Internationals are all in the window where our ranking can be disrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Meafou confirmed out of the Ireland game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

And Jelonch

Did Ollivon and Cros also pick up knocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It's still quite far out from the tournament at about 20 months. Why not the Jan of the year of the tournament? Football can do it that close, why can't rugby.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The argument you hear is they need the maximum time period to sell tickets. You've only got a few countries really in the world who are contenders, and they're on opposite sides of the world. Therefore travelling for European sides for example to SA, Aus or NZ for a RWC is a pretty big financial commitment, and vice versa. Allied to that - the tournament takes a long time.

World Rugby seem to think giving more time to get fixtures / cities etc gives people more opportunity to plan and increases the likelihood people will buy expensive packages to travel to games.

Rugby doesn't have the global popularity of football, so the tickets can be harder to shift.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is particularly important somewhere like Aus where you could be based thousands of km away depending on where your matches are.

I think the argument is a bit silly when its 2 years out, but the upcoming tournament does seem to set a more reasonable timeframe.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If you think there's any chance that POM (barring injury) won't be starting, you're living in cuckoo land.

In fact, the 6 jersey Is his now until he decides to retire. Which is unfortunate because Baird, Ahern and Prendergast are all outstanding players who deserve a shot, but that's just how Irish rugby works.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Have you ever considered supporting Italy, TRC? There's no end of misery to mine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

POM is definitely starting at 6. They don’t typically pick guys with any doubt of starting.

I don’t really see the point of starting someone over him (or any other player) before they actually win the job. Maybe, 2 years before a world cup i’d think about that, maybe.

I’d be in favour of stuff like having larger training squads, capture capping guys who could leave, and other relatively small things. However, you actually have to win jobs. That’s fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

The mental side of elite sports is as or more important than the physical. I would imagine Farrell’s warmer approach to the team and rewards fosters respect and loyalty.

the show no mercy, all business approach works for fans but is it the way to get the best out of players who are people after all?

I don’t know if Pete as captain is the right decision but I respect the call and hope Ireland 2024 build into a new formidable beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How does one win the job? We have a number of 6s in brilliant form

In camp presumably. At least with this ireland team, provincial form seems less important than before but still a thing.

You win a spot in the squad, and then in camp you win the job. Or the guy in front gets injured and you play so well they don’t get it back.

The one small thing i’d change is dial back how much the starters play a tad. I’d probably rotate more in summer and autumn games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

It's frustrating that Baird probably won't even make the 23, for any of the other nations he'd be starting considering the back row weaknesses of the current squads except for Ireland. I'd like to see Frawley at out-half for one of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

Prediction : An Irish 23 without an Ulster player v France - McCarthy is streets ahead of Henderson as a bench option & Henshaw will also get the nod ahead of McCloskey on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

I honestly would rather McCarthy starts. Not only because he's been on fire this season but if you have to ask me who I'd prefer coming off the bench with 20 to go, an experienced but quality option in Beirne or inexperienced but quality option in McCarthy I would much prefer the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

France have gone with 7-2 split v Ireland last 2 years. Even without Dupont and Ntamack I think they'll do it again.

Woki, Willemse, Cros, Ollivon, Aldritt. Reps: Taofifenua, Paul Boudehent?, Alexandre Roumat?

Beirne, Ryan or McCarty, vdF, POM, Doris Reps: McCarthy or Ryan, Baird

I mean it has to be Baird over Conan.

On McCarthy.......just looks amazing right now!

I'm still skeptical about the Nienaber appointment. Have to admit though McCarthy has come on leaps and bounds. He looks brilliant defense. Continually up onto his feet and then gets off the line really fast in defense, again and again.

He's the form lock in the country and ticking allot of boxes:

• taking Lineout ball
    • stopping Mauls
    • making Tackles
    • hitting Rucks
    • Carrying
    • scoring Tries
    • scrummaging at TH
    • AND playing the full 80mins!

Importantly he is dominant when he's doing all of these things.

To nitpick: This passage of play (58' 30'') v Leicester highlights some the pros's & cons of McCarthy right now.

https://youtu.be/rl2EuuZiXzQ?t=5809

He's gives a way a pen before his burst up the field. He is played out afterwards and this time comes off after 70mins.

I think Farrell will start with Ryan but I wouldn't be too surprised if McCarthy got the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Hard to win a job if you never actually get a chance to do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Prendergast in for Ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Pity for Ahern but a good chance for Prendergast to prove Farrell wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

9 on the bench is a bit "cheaty" isn't it.. but hey.. they're French !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Watching Munster last weekend and I was massively impressed with Casey. A fantastic performance. I think Murray is done. Casey is really at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Shame for Ahern but no surprise once they said he was in hospital overnight. Probably needs a week of complete rest if not a few given how rocked he was coming off. Prendergast really deserved inclusion from the outset so I'm fairly pleased for him to get the call up and to be involved.

I don't think it will make any impact on any selection throughout the tournament though, ultimately. He's highly unlikely to be in any 23 barring injuries.

I’d start henderson/ryan and beirne. McCarthy hasn’t done anything yet to really jump henderson or Ryan for me.

• Advertisement

I think its the second time Ahern has been called into a squad and injured right before it.

Its a shame because with his physical profile he could move extremely quickly once in.

Advertisement