Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Those who would be likely to assassinate are probably all on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Haley were to drop out after New Hampshire, how would that rank for quickest time that a non incumbent had essentially won the primary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭francois

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The milion dollar question would be: does she fancy her chances or is this shadow play? Not like she was nipping at Trump's heels but stuff like her response to Trump's senile rant about "Nikki Haley" at the Jan 6th riots might be a hint she's not done yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Jesus, that's a mental image that's hard to scrub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s a phrase used to suggest that only conservatives are real Americans, it’s mainly to lie to their own stupid supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dingaan

Is it too much to ask to avoid discussing assassination attempts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Full blooded? Dog whistle much? Do you also get 'the fizz' when you see 14 words?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Getting back on Topic.

The big question for today is "Will Trump testify in the E Jean Carroll case" ?

He has been saying that he definitely will , but he's generally full of sh!t and has said he was going to testify several times before across his many court cases but at the last minute he chickens out or actually listens to his lawyers and doesn't.

However , he no longer has anyone even approaching the level of competent in his legal team , so he just might do it this time. Alina Habba and Boris Epshteyn aren't going to try to explain to him why it's a terrible idea , that's for sure.

It would be utterly catastrophic for him is he does though as he is incapable of keeping his mouth shut and so will only give the Jury even more reason to bury him with punitive damages . He may also earn some other penalties from the Judge for contempt if he doesn't stick to the rules.

Should be fun either way - If he chickens out, his excuses will be hilarious but if he does testify then that will be manna from heaven for Haley and/or Biden to use against him , because he WILL say some very stupid/awful things as he is a very stupid/awful person who can't keep his mouth shut.

The thing about Habba is that she isn't just some bimbo Trump picked up off the street who was chosen for her looks rather than her legal knowledge. I'm not saying her background is the tip of the top, educationally or professionally, but surely to God good enough to know how court proceedings work. So I don't think she's trying to admit evidence to court at the wrong time or move for a mistral out of sheer ignorance, but more that she's just doing her part in Trump's world of political theatre. It's all about playing for the base than the judges. Trump is no longer playing within the system which he and/or his backers seek to upend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think it's a bit of both to be honest.

Trump is clearly using the trial(s) as a PR exercise and is simply looking to discredit them completely so that when he loses (and he will lose) he will already have pre-wired his followers to ignore the outcome as yet another "fraud" committed again the glorious MAGA movement.

Habba is absolutely "doing what she's told" in terms of the repeated requests for a mistrial etc. but I also think she's an appalling lawyer who is so lacking in legal experience and confidence that she is completely unable to manage her client even a little bit to stop him from doing more damage to himself.

He has people like Habba precisely because she's a crap lawyer and has no experience. Because anyone with actual experience and/or legal reputation to protect, runs a mile.

Tacopina is generally considered to be an average lawyer with a fairly thuggish reputation but he's actually been in court before and won cases - experience Habba doesn't have , but even he had enough nous to know that he had to get the hell out of Dodge before it all blows up in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Then at a minimum she should have her license pulled. She's wasting the court's time with her attempts to submit evidence improperly. Remember she was just some local NJ nobody lawyer with no meaningful credentials. Project 65 should put her on their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I'm guessing you don't mean native Americans? 😂

She isn't *trying* to manage her client, though. It's not about that. Trump is way past damage control at this point. That's no longer a real concern. He thinks his position gets stronger the more legal pressure gets put on him, so more cases and more chaos are welcome. All part of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,403 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

in fairness, two of their presidents were shot, in a relatively short period of time.

Furthermore, Trump has enflamed and normalised violence.

While i think it unlikely, it is hardly irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No one should be calling for it though. No matter how loathsome a candidate.

Was there someone calling for it? Must have missed it.

I know she's not trying , but the reason she's not trying is because she's not very bright and isn't a very good lawyer.

Because if she was either of those things , she would be trying (or leaving the team) , that's the point.

She's still there doing the things she's doing precisely because she's a crap lawyer with no career to lose (or aspirations to have one it seems).

All of the relatively speaking "better" lawyers have left because they were unwilling to engage in Trumps games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'd concur with the "doing as she's told" bit. I suspect any lawyer foolhardy enough to actually take on Trump would likely find themselves simply acting as a proxy for Trump on the bench. There would be no advising Trump on points of law, or possible strategy. Trump would decide, and the hapless council would have to go out there plead on the basis of whatever stupid idea Donnie wants to use today.

The whole "you can't have a trial because of my mother-in-law's funeral" trick Habba brought out smacked of something Trump told her to say. The fact that she stupidly repeated the request in the same hearing somewhat indicates that Trump told her to ask it again.

Whatever legal intelligence Habba might or might not have is likely overridden by the *stable genius* trying his hand at being a Law Talking Guy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You want Trump to be president, so you want a man who has committed a sexual assault to be president. You've gotten hung up on the term rape so let's say sexual assault but let's consider, Trump committed a sexual assault and has consistently attacked his victim. This is the kind of morally reprehensible character that you think should be POTUS?

Instead of addressing the above (already responded with similar to you), you're getting hung up on a pretty innocuous discussion in scheme of thing. Nobody is calling for it or anything.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Rudi has fallen on hard times and had to cancel his data plan and home broadband 😉 So now he's taken to wardriving to get online😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,436 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That lad was trying desperately to get some attention, was getting none so had to up the ante to obvious racism.

Its a pity people started falling for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Didn't see anyone calling for it. Only one person/bot being offended by it, who apparently is not offended by Trump sexually abusing women. That's where we are now, though. It's normal and I don't know why it even surprises me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,436 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Her license is about to be pulled for her conduct in a sexual harassment case at MaraLago, she already knows that her money and future is on the Trump train. Thats why she is still there.

You could be the best lawyer in the world and still fail to argue some of Trump's positions if you are arguing the law because they're fundamentally wrong. You could be a great mathematician and still fail to prove that 1+1=3 in a way that the mathematical community would accept, and you'll look quite stupid in the process.

As I say, Habba is not necessarily a top lawyer, but if she really doesn't know how basic court procedures work, that isn't 'not very bright', that's 'how the f@ck did you make it through law school, become a law clerk and open your own law firm and keep it open???!'. I don't believe her to be the smartest person in the world, but surely not that dumb or unpracticed either.

My argument is that it isn't that most of the big players in Trump's orbit over the last 8 years or so don't know their business. It's just that they don't care. Many decided to step off the train, and they were suddenly reasonable people again. A few didn't or have not yet, and while that is the case, they're surely going to look pretty dumb, such is the kind of arguments they're tasked with putting forward on behalf of their man.

Question: Does anyone in America who gets sued for loads of money like Giuliani has been ever actually pay any of it?

Alex Jones is another one who was sued for, like, a billion dollars, but somehow he still appears to have a house, a car, clothes and his show and so on.

It must just be that if you can hire lawyers to appeal these things, or you hire a creative accountant, you can essentially circumvent these penalties.

It certainly appears that if you have enough immediate access to money to fund a lawyer you can keep kicking the can down the road via appeals etc. seemingly indefinitely.

But it's that short term access to cash that's crucial - Jones at least has cash-flow from his TV show and the various "vitamins" he sells via the show so he can keep his lawyers paid.

Rudi doesn't have cash-flow and I don't think he has anyone that will give him a dig out , so he might hit the wall a lot sooner than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement