Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The frustration is that we got a red for 2 similar tackles. Now the first one you can excuse and say that its a learning experience for the VAR's. But then we got another red for a similar one to the one today. So its tough when we have had the soft ones given against us but not for us. I would rather us complain about these calls now when we have won than drew or lost and it get called sour grapes.

There is very little consistency in the calls made by the VARs, I think we can agree on that at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Talisman

Maybe not, presumably Moyes used some flowery language when West Ham were denied a penalty after McBurnie had scored. 🤬

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Disagree, the Alexis one is clear, never a red. The Kluivert one today is similar to the Jones one against Spurs, even then it's not the same, because one is a tackle and one is trying to control the ball and basically slipping over it.

I've had breaks myself on a football pitch, and have been on the pitch with other people suffering breaks, the kluivert tackle today isn't the worst, but on the balance it's a red, maybe 65-35 but just because he wanted the ball and not to come down on the upper and ankle and shin, it actually doesn't change anything, he tipped the ball and came down studs up on Diaz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The biggest disgrace wasn't that a red card wasn't dished out... we didn't even get a **** free kick! No foul was given! That's the bigger crime, imo. Hard to argue what colour card should have been given when the ref, and VAR of course, didn't even think it was a free. WTF like??

Yes and same with the non-penalty, it's 100% a foul, almost certainly a penalty, but the only reason not to be a penalty is if it's just outside the box, and then the stupid blowing up for a muscle injury. It's strange to have several potentially game changing decisions, that all seem pretty clear cut, all go against one team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

I had him at 10/1 for a brace today so fair to say I agree. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

We finally have some decent cover for Trent. It is ok to have 2 players for one position ya know, especially when one of them is an academy player. No need to be moving Trent anywhere else on account of Bradley coming through. I'm not saying don't move Trent to midfield but im saying if we do it should be because its the best move for Trent and the team, not just because we finally have someone who can cover when Trent is out or allow us rotate Trent out here and there to keep him fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah, considering Bournemouth got a free for one of their players pulling a hamstring.

There seems to be new rules introduced all the time when Liverpool play, like if you slip and handle the ball it’s not a penalty apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Since signing,Nunez has more goals for us,than ,saka, martinelli or jesus have for arsenal and he's still just 24,,younger then mo or mane were when signed,plus he never stops...

He's learning quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Brilliant second half yesterday, really enjoyable to see us dominate a potentially tricky encounter.

Jota has been one of the best buys of Klopps reign, mad to think we got him after not being able to go after Werner! But credit to Gomez and Bradley too, they were fantastic.

And our attack is just better with Nunez in it. He got a couple of goals yesterday, but even the second goal came out of making himself a handful for the defender. He should score more, so he has a massive ceiling. It’s a shame that some people, even in the media, have just decided he’s not good enough and ignore all the positive play that comes out when he’s on the pitch. We certainly wouldn’t be where we are in the table without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Hugely impressed with Bradley. His confidence is flowing now and performances against Martinelli and yesterday should not be a surprise after his award of player of the season for Bolton last year. His bravery, energy up and down the wing and excellent 1:1 defensive skills reminds me of Robertson. But his pace, change of direction, intelligence and interplay with others is already equivalent to Robbo imo (which makes his ceiling higher than the Sistine chapel). He will get a lot of crossing opportunities, staying back with Darwin to work on that could be useful. It's so much more satisfying to see a young lad come through, and an Irish lad too, fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Another slip from the FAI allowing NI to cap him and not even try to intervene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Strange he doesn't play for the Republic, he's from a very nationalist community in the north. Then again the younger generation are increasingly seeing past this crap and the lad probably just wants to play football.

He's catholic through and through, on both sides, played GAA all his life growing up alongside football obviously. Northern Ireland just called him up and capped him, he's hardly going to turn it down. No 17 year old wants that attention drawing onto himself and his family around that part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yesterday was the first time I properly entertained the idea that we could win the league.

that might sound ludicrous to some, but with a brand new midfield, and not being quite sure how 'back' Virgil is, or how Konate could kick on, or how Gomez would fare this season when we needed to lean heavily on him, I just didn't buy the idea that we could keep pace. but yesterday has slightly changed my perception, and it's because of the form of our defence.

they looked properly solid yesterday. keep that up, and anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Still not thinking about the league just yet, we still have a lot of football to play and I expect City to go on a run, they don’t have difficult fixtures until March really. If we’re there or thereabouts, don’t lose to them at Anfield and injuries are kind to us, then, at that point, maybe I’ll allow myself to get hyped.

also, the non-red was not the controversial one from yesterday.

the one the focus should be on is the Jota penalty that wasn't. utterly mind-boggling.

Kompany will have Burnley bent over nicely for them on Wednesday week to drum up that goal difference...

Ya that had the potential to for big slip up yesterday, I said after "oh maybe we can do this". I expect City to win every game until they come to Anfield, we need to do the same and beat City. Do that and I will start to believe, until then I still rate our chances low.

• Advertisement

Arsenal away is enormous. because City will win every game, that Arsenal game is actually must-win for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As strange as this sounds, Robbo will have a small bit of climatizing to do when he returns to the team. And hopefully he is ready to return very soon as he is a big asset with providing width, keeping intensity, all round solidity.

He has only played 1 Liverpool game since September. At that time, the defensive unit was not the same as what it is now, and had only kept 1 CS in 8 PL games. They had improved on last season, but it wasn't just there yet with a couple of goals being conceded when they should really have been cleared up. Not major issues but minor ones that have been worked on, since Robbo has been injured.

There was also a few questions around his new LCB role, and did it really suit him while Trent inverted. That inverting tactic seems to be 'horses for courses' now though so we might see a return to his swashbuckling ways, rather than the 3rd defender. The defense is back to more of a 2 man defense rather than a 3 man defense.

And well, also cos of Gomez. Do I need to say much? Having a great season filling in anywhere and everywhere in defense in many different roles. Old School RB, inverted RB, CB, LB, small bit of inverted LB. He doesn't deserve to lose a starting place in the team but I would imagine he would go into RB if Robbo is back before Trent is.

Liverpool have played 32 games this season, Robbo has only played 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Also, to win the last 3 games, with the sheer number of players injured / unavailable is ridiculously good. Should be spoken about a lot more IMO.

This is the season overall so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd say he just said yes to whoever asked him first. I imagine he would have played for Ireland no bother had he been asked. NI are probably trying to cap youngsters from nationalist backgrounds a bit earlier to stop them potentially switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pretty decent bit of performance too, most footballers are bloody woeful, don't even make convincing humans.

Mo was better than usual in his recent Vodafone Afcon one too.

Yeah, as much of a loss it is for us, it's quite nice to see that in a player. It really does feel like Northern Irish identity has come a really long way in the past 20 years or so - instead of being torn between either Irish or British, far more now see themselves primarily as Northern Irish, so it's nice to see him represent the place he's actually from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭eigrod

Until now, I don’t recall any NI player making a full appearance for us in my time following the club, near 50 years now. Jim Magilton & Ryan McLaughlin were on our books but never played. Perhaps I’ve forgotten someone?

Strange given the number of Scots, Republic of Ireland & Welsh players we’ve had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭antimatterx

If we can beat Chelsea and Arsenal in our next two then it really looks on. Crucial to win both.

Yea just need to win every game, crucial to win every single game, reasonable expectations.

• Advertisement

We have; Chelsea (h) Arsenal (a) Burnley (h) Brentford (a) Luton (h) Forrest (a) before we play City in Anfield on the 9th of March.

We need a minimum of 16 points from those 6 fixtures, and then somehow beat City at home! Do that, and we can win the title. Beating City is crucial, we're away to Everton the next weekend, and the moral will be low going there with a loss to City behind us!

No point looking back on what might have been, but those dropped points against Luton, and in particular UTD are a real sickener

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think Owen Beck will get an opportunity at left back in the next few weeks, probably in the FA Cup. He was impressive in his earlier loan spell at Dundee and he wasn't brought back to simply make up the numbers in training. If he takes the opportunity to show he's ready to play in the team then Tsimikas can be moved on in the summer and it'll free up another non-homegrown spot in the squad.

There's no need for Robertson to over do it upon his return, we can afford to ease him back in while building his match fitness in the period after the Arsenal game.

I think that Everton game is more than likely going to be moved as one, or both, clubs will be playing in the FA cup that weekend.

That would be good, I couldn't think of a worse place to go after the City match. Those City games take on a life of their own, and usually there's a massive coming down in performance and energy levels the following week. especially after a poor result.

I don't see a major problem beating City at home, their record is pretty poor at Anfield. Yes KDB is back but still question marks over wether they can/will hit top form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Whilst I agree about Luton and United, to stay sane I think you have to think about them as one side of a coin that has the likes of Newcastle away and Fulham at home on the other. We have dropped some annoying points, but we've rescued points from the fire more often than we've dropped them

(That being said, I don't apply the same zen philosophy when I think about the points dropped at Spurs. If they turn out to be the difference I'll be apoplectic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but this is idea that City will not drop points for the rest of the season is ludicrous and not based on the evidence put forward this season where they have looked vulnerable and not the same as last season.

Just because they went on runs in previous seasons does not mean they will this season. People thought they would't lose the games they would this season and they did.

Liverpool are the most consistent team this season and could have been even further ahead only for VAR against Spurs and not beating Utd and Arsenal.

Liverpool have a great chance and yesterday's performance with weakened first eleven had look of potential champions to me.

You'll forgive been pesimistic or atleast very cautiously optimistic, when we accumulated 92 and 97 points, missing out on the league on both ocassions by 1 point. City are the treble champions, won the league 3 times in a row. While I didn't believe the idea last season that we were finished, this position is entirely unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If we win our next 16 games in the league, then I'll believe its ours. Otherwise, I'll just have to enjoy the ride and see what happens.

• Advertisement

I have basically zero doubt City will drop a point before March as their fixtures are just piss easy - but if we can keep our noses ahead come March 1st, then I think we have a chance. That ~month from March 2nd onwards is a real test for them - Man Utd, Liverpool, Brighton, Arsenal, Villa. With the CL kicking off again around then too, there's definitely a bit of hope there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There will be the 2nd leg of the Europa League last 16 to be played after the City game before either an FA Cup game or a game V Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,530 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A lot of football to play, but not a lot of league games. One by one will tick them off, we have the advantage of playing City at home, that's big.

Hopefully we will have some more wounded bodies back by then, if 95% of the squad is available. I cant see anything close to the 1st 11 getting a run in the EL until, maybe the semi final stage.

You just know we will lose out by a point again this season. That Spurs VAR f**k up will rear its ugly head come May!

As well as hoping that Man City drop points in some games soon, I'd also be looking to see Rodri pick up a couple of yellow cards. If he receives 2 yellow cards in the next 10 games, he'll be banned for 2 more games. (I'm fairly sure it's 10 games, might be 9)

If he could pick those up around the Bournemouth and Man Utd game it would be great, as he would miss the game at Anfield then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Rodri out for 2 games would be nice.

Pretty soon City are going to be able to field the holy triumvirate of Rodri, De Bruyne and Haaland on the pitch at the same time. They are a different animal with those 3 starting. With their easy fixture list coming up and those players coming back, I would still make them clear favorites for the league.

We've put ourselves in a good position though. We're in for a really exciting final few months of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Hopefully Egypt knocked out soon and he might be fit for the Arsenal match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Just thought i'd post a link to a channel i've been watching for a few months now, judging by his subscriber count he's flying under the radar i think.

Anyway great channel, love the editing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm the same, but yesterday did convince me that we can give them a rattle. Missing Trent, Szob and Salah, and still putting in an attacking performance like that was very impressive. Mac Allister was very good as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭klose

How long is Ederson out for city? Also an important factor going forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement