Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Westernview

I'd forgotten he had a property out there. If that's where he is I'd tell him to stay there until February at least and come back rejuvenated.

Yes they are all interesting contributers. I'd add John Kampfner as well for his views from Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I have a relative with a similar condition to Eamonn. This time of year in Ireland is very difficult with the cold, damp air around constantly.

For his own sake I hope he can spend these weeks in France where he might have a bit more opportunity to be out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Was wondering that myself. They are still reposting old episodes on January 18. Hopefully just a winter break to go with his usual August break.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 StuttgartKY

Panic over, Eamon is back tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I vividly remember downloading an OTB podcast while living abroad in 2012 that featured Giles. I had been out of touch with Irish punditry for a few years and remember thinking that Giles was really on his last legs in terms of keeping up with the game at that stage, amazing he is still going 12 years later! Even if it is just on podcasts.

Giles does a fair bit of waffling on modern football but he is still great to listen to when the topic suits.

He had an interesting story on newstalk the day Franz Beckenbauer died. They had played against each other in a European cup final in which John thought, and still thinks, the referee was compromised! They ran in to each other years later before a match where both were doing analysis. Beckenbauer made some comment on a bad tackle by one of the Leeds players. John came straight back about an incident where Beckenbauer should have been sent off himself. As he put it, they didn't leave on good terms!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He's not the best with the current stuff, but his memory of his own career is actually unreal. Feels like he remembers every match

I heard John tell that story. Some people give out about him talking about the old days too much but I think its a privilege to listen to him retelling things with such detail. He knew and saw the Busby babes playing at old Trafford. He attended the 66 and 70 World cup finals, played with and against Bobby Charlton, played against Maradona in Dublin. Part of the best ever Leeds team. He's an amazing link to the past and he's still giving his opinions when he could have retired years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Yeah they should just stop talking about modern football. It's toss anyway. Stories about their careers and life as pundits in the early days would be way better.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

There are so many podcasts and radio shows covering modern day football, would anybody miss this if they dropped it? I find those chats where they talk about bygone times more interesting. It was such a different era and it's fascinating to hear the insights of those guys. Especially now that many of the people they're talking about have died and can't sue.

Yeah it's almost saturation levels now in terms of modern football coverage and it's debatable if much of it is very insightful or interesting. Too much backslapping and manfactured debate. As has been said here before the loss of Liam has taken a lot away from the discussions between John and Eamonn on the modern game. Liam was more in touch with what's gong on now and it felt less repetitive.

I'd be happy if they focused on the old days and maybe having rotating guests joining the 2 boys - the likes of Souness, Keegan, surviving Leeds players etc. Must be loads of retired players from the 70s and 80s who would be happy to come on. Get former English, German, Italian players. It would be very fresh wondering who would be on next. Having just John and Eamon together is probably running out of steam at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Was a huge football fan back in the days when the lads were on the panel. Not so much now. To think people thought the Premier League was corporate and full of prima donna players back in the 90's and 2000's!

I still listen to the odd Stand episode on football. I'm sure the lads would rather keep reviewing the weekly matches for the reason that it keeps them in touch and feeling youthful / current. There's only so much looking back you can do before it starts getting unhealthy. That said, the best sports episodes are when Eamon covers a big ticket item, like Arab money in the game, FIFA corruption, the FAI saga etc or those interviews he does with journos on the ground about the behind the scenes of a club in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Lecter8319

Is it me or is Eamon doing a lot of podcasts on rugby these days? it’s really not his strength, doesn’t seem to fully understand it. Much prefer his football podcasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wouldn't say "a lot". With the WC late last year and now the 6-nations back on again, it's not too surprising that he's done more than usual recently. Once the 6-nations is over, we won't hear another one again for 12 months. Luckily they can be avoided easily. If there's anything more boring than rugby, it's listening to the likes of Matt Williams droning on for an hour about it.

• Advertisement

I find the rugby analysis very boring as well. Theres only so much they can say about breakdowns and gain lines. When BOD joined Newstalk I thought that would be worth listening to but I soon found him tedious as well. I think its just the nature of the game - ok to watch but doesn't merit half the coverage it gets. Though I'm sure the rugby heads would disagree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ireland rugby games are regularly in the yearly top 10 watched programs list so while it isn't for everyone people do watch it.

I can understand the games being in the top 10. I watch them myself. Its all the coverage around it that I think has gone beyond saturation levels.

I cant wait for the next podcast with Eamon and Fionna Sheehan concerning the RTE payments scandal, wtf😂

Fionnan will be running out of exasperated analogies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

"Rice does more on the ball than Rodri"

🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The lads obviously didn't watch a single game of Xhaka at Arsenal last season if they think Arteta "got rid" of him. He's been one of Bayer's best players this season and was one of Arsenal's last season and is sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why does Eamo keep saying Ireland lost to New Zealand by a point in the World Cup?

Very sloppy.

Has the Russia Today guy ever resurfaced since Putin invaded Ukraine? Not just on the show, but in the media at all?

What was his name again? I used to enjoy him even if it was clear he was drinking the kool aid.

Bryan MacDonald. Don't see much from him online in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm half expecting Dunphy to call him the best journalist in the world, before this saga is over.

He likes sweet talking guests alright. Seems to be a tactic to keep them appearing on the pod (in addition to payment of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

“And now we’re lucky to be joined by the man who originally broke this story, Fionnan Sheahan. Fionnan is not only the finest journalist ever to come out of Ireland he is arguably greatest journalist to ever grace this planet.”

Nice to hear Liam back on the pod this week. Possibly one of the reasons for his appearance was to promote his gofundme cause at the end but no harm in that when we get to hear his views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I like the football episodes where it's former players talking about their careers. The one's he did with Brady and Didi were really enjoyable. Be interesting to get a few more former players on to do the same.

Just listened to Eamon's discussion with Fionnan Sheahan on Varadkar standing down.

I'm surprised how scathing Eamon is of Simon Harris based on them meeting each other a few times. Sheanan not exactly complimentary either.

That's Eamon though, he'll slaughter you like that one week and be your best friend the next week.

Personally, the first thing I think of when I hear the name Simon Harris is Covid-19, the pandemic, his glum-but-so-sincere face, "we're in this together", blah, blah. So I'd agree with Sheehan there, Harris strikes me as a bit of an empty suit, will say the "right thing" but not much depth to him.

That's true he can change with the wind.

I don't see Harris that way. I thought he handled it as well as he could and the communication to the public was good. Seems to be well liked in the party. Time will tell of course.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A few years ago Harris and Dunphy were RTE's Monday night political chat show, which I can't remember the name of now, and Harris won their debate pretty easily. I guess Dunphy hasn't forgotten that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Yes I think it was Harris when minister for health said that “covid 19 isn’t new, there’s been 18 Covid’s before it after all”, or something along those lines.

He didnt win the debate, he took a few unnecessary potshots at Eamon past because he wasnt willing to listen to Harris's drivel at the time. Hes a snake of the highest order and its a damning indictment of this country that he's been elected to the highest office in the land, time will show this. Sheehan and Dunphy didnt go hard enough on him imo.

I think he'll make a very good Taoiseach but the election will be a big challenge for a party that have been in power a long time. He is intelligent, driven and empathetic. Also a very good media performer and communicator.

I personally thought he won the debate but even if you think he didn't he stand his ground. He did give a few potshots but then so did Dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Still in Russia afaik, UK hit him with sanctions in 2022. There was a good few Irish lads working for RT, Ivor Crotty was another who did the podcast rounds in the mid to late 2010’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Chay Bowes who founded The Ditch and left Ireland very quickly after the story broke he had multiple private meetings with the Russian ambassador also works for RT. Lives in Moscow now.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Good podcast yesterday between Sheehan & Eamon yesterday. Eamon seems to be setting himself up to be a staunch critic of Harris for however long he remains in power. I think Dunphy knows a waffler and chancer when he sees one a mile off. I remember him often calling BS merchants on RTE for talking rubbish. Hopefully his podcasts continue with Sheehan over the next few months, its going to be interesting to see how all this plays out in the lead up to the election & Sheehan seems more informed than most other journalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭fire_man

Is it worth paying 5e for this podcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I get it through my Spotify subscription.

I'm not a podcast person, but really enjoy the stand. I think what works for me is that they are all around 30 minutes. Helps with the drive in or out of work.

Some good stuff on there. G

since when does it cost anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

Might you be mixing it up with the option to listen to the podcast ad-free? It has always been freely available "wherever you get your podcasts" as they say e.g. https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-stand-with-eamon-dunphy/id1178026212 , https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-stand-with-eamon-dunphy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭weadick

John and Eamon's lack of knowledge of Premier League teams outside of the top 3 really is staggering. John said he 'wasn't impressed' with Aston Villa this season and Eamon never even pulled him up on it. Villa are challenging for the Champions League having been relegation candidates less than two years ago, how anyone couldn't be impressed with them is beyond me. Eamon didn't appear to know that Villa's goalkeeper was a world cup winner with Argentina. He was also of the belief for some reason that Tyrone Mings was 'benched' by Unai Emery when in fact he did his cruciate at the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Doesn't really bother me. You could find inaccuracies every week with what they discuss but it's not really about that anymore. Just 2 old pros shooting the breeze, having a rant or getting excited about certain players and games.

Considering their ages (John 83, Eamon 78) it's great that they are still enthusiastic about doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭weadick

Yeah I do agree with you but as a Villa fan I was excitted to hear them talk about Villa for the first time all year, then to hear that nonsense. But I'd enjoy listening to them even despite all that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement