Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

There's nothing wrong with the Daily Mail most of the time.

Badmouthing the Daily Mail is mostly just a leftist scam - though in Ireland the Daily Mail has itself gone far left.

It is indeed low quality sometimes, other times it's quite good, especially the online edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I don't mind the us.online.bits. good to see what the selebs are up to😁

Is tubs trying to make us feel so sorry for him we'll be begging rte to have him back🤔 between the celeb encounters (real or imaginary), the pose with book at side (I'm a intellectual), or photo op from train travelling to Cornwall😲 it's starting to wear one and it's only the 4th(?) week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Tubs must have been wearing a mask as well in case he'd cause a traffic accident with all the bus drivers sticking their heads out the window to welcome him. That's why Paul didn't recognise him.

Probably wanting to start off his new "freebie" list so he gave them a bit of a plug in the hope they will give him a donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

The irony of this topic the gowl is running with last friday and yet again today about "mispronounced words" as he stumbles across the intro piece stuttering and mispronouncing even the artist name of the record he is coming out of (Christina Aguilera)

Once again lecturing the audience.

If he could speak clearly himself that would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You could lessen your online criticism by not taking as much. You have to factor in all of the benefits you get also. He will continue to get money from RTÉ from his "Independent Productions" on top of this salary. He gets good holidays and we know he's not working an 8 hour day for the show.

If plenty of folks in Dublin are on that, maybe he should consider a different job? He could avoid the ballache. Dee Forbes was getting twice that and could avoided much of her headaches, maybe he'd be a better DG ?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mountain

I really doubt his “instagram melted” over the weekend

Spoofer of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

No one turns down more money. Online criticism would continue regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Ah! The poor auld gausen, as my Grandmother would say, the poor auld gausen.

On the other hand that Leadership team and Board are doing a great job in RTÉ. 400k for a radio show and a TV chat show, the amount RTÉ once said that RT was on.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yep. Agreed. Even when publicly stating you are taking a pay cut in solidarity with the rest of your RTE colleagues.

People should have known that other methods were going to be used to negate the shortfall.

Is anyone listening???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think most of Ryan's supporters are disappointed. They probably have no problem with him attempting to reinvent himself but I would say the type of radio that he is doing is just not their thing. Maybe he has lost listeners and gained new ones? The RAJAR and JNLR's should be able to provide some clarity. But I think the first quarter figures will probably be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Let's be honest, he's basically gone into retirement by making this move.

He will become more irrelevant in Ireland with each passing day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

For those who are listening, how different is Tubridy's Virgin playlist to the one he had on RTE?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mountain

I’ve tried to listen, and it’s relentless ads, bland music, and then Tubridy waffling on.

very unlikely that we will hear any music by his great friend Sinead….

I think thats a topic for which Enda would be able to give a good, concise answer to 😉

Generally all or any music Tubridy has ever filled time between talking and spoofing / waffling with has had one theme in common - it is all selected by the "boffins through the glass" in the control room of whatever studio he is in be it RTE or now, Virgin. He has no skill as to the basics of playing music on air and always comes across as quite disconnected to whatever is being played. He sounds shocked, stunned, nervous and all over the place in any musical junctures I have ever had the misfortune of hearing him on. Please bear in mind that RTE paid this clown 550k a year for far too long.

To be concise, "Tubridy - there is the door. "

P.s. I got a warning for a comment or reply the other day - not to be "too critical" was the advisory. I think anyone that knows me would say I am being polite and kind here re: Tubs and if i told you what I REALLY think of him then that might warrant being removed from these forums.

Do you think the late Robbie Robinson, Chris Carey or even Bill Cunningham would of been able to mentor him successfully for highly formatted music radio?

In a word, NO!

He is 50 and has too many bad habits.

For all the education he has some elocution lessons in his childhood might have done better for him. Elsewhere it has been suggested that his rapid fire speech is some side effect of Adderal. Not sure but we really should be ashamed as a nation at his description as "Legendary Irish Broadcaster" - a disrespect to the memory of Terry Wogan * who left rte after 8 years there to go to The BBC. 8 years into Tubs nepo career he still sounded like an adenoidal version of his irritating self. Its no wonder he was not asked back at R2. He was cringe-making doing the shows many of them via ISDN from Montrose.

moderator: Enda Caldwell was warned for this.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tubs is beyond helping. Main reason being he doesn't realize he needs help, nor does he think he has to improve in anyway.

I imagine if I had somehow got to topdog in RTE and was hoovering up 3/4 of a million quid per year at one point just for being tedious, incompetent me, then I'd probably be huffing my own farts too.

The scandal and the way he handled it, eventually ending up with him putting the DG in a position where he couldn't renew his contract, was very instructive of the parallel universe that Tubridy inhabits. He seems to have a Trumpian level of self regard and a believe that he really is the dog's bollocks. That's also very noticeable in the tone of his MoS diary. There is no trace of a journalistic mind there, nothing of either the place he now finds himself in nor an ability to reflect as a 50 year old man should, on his new life in this place. There's nothing there bar a constant refrain of me, me..............me.

It's genuinely fascinating to me how this person should a) be seen a titantic figure in Irish broadcasting for 20 years and b) now be sold to the poor, unsuspecting Virgin listener as 'Ireland's legendary broadcaster'. It's real Orwell stuff IMO.

ps - "Don't read Orwell kids, bit long! HAHA!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s getting to the stage that the man is living rent free inside the head of some folks around here. The dude is over in London, making coin, writing for a paper and has moved on with his life.

I’d suggest it would be healthy if some of you did the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭yagan

I'd still astounded he was getting 700k when we had 15% unemployment.

If he is on 70K now then he should be glad.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Whenever Tubs returns the 150k AND makes a solemn declaration that he would rather die than walk through the front door of Montrose again as an employee or contractor, I for one will move on and never post about him again!

I have a feeling I'm gonna be round here a while though! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭yagan

Tubs hasn't exactly moved onto his British audience yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Thanks Choclatier, love your work particularly these Ferrero Rochers you are really spoiling us each and every reader to this thread and discussion comments!

No, I saw him waiting on someone at Dublin airport once (maybe it was Paul Mc Cartney?) Long and streak are words often used to describe - they are appropriate descriptions of his appearance I feel.

I was waiting on people far more interesting to me so I left it there!

I have met (and worked with) dozens of people who were unfortunate enough to have worked with him on the likes of his radio show and The Late Late and they all say he is a prima donna and not great to work with. He has to have 5 or 6 people following him in to the studio when he had a voice over to record for 2fm for example.

P.s. say what you want about me, no really, be my guest. We are here to discuss 150k Tubs however and HIS future not mine, plus I've to go now, Mc Graths Carpets outside Ennis are having a SALE NOW ON!!!! LMAO!!!

And sure remember Enda. Even Terry Wogan did voiceovers for Bargaintown 😊

Did anyone even listen today? The thread is sinking even not to mention his show!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He's yesterday's news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement