Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

No. My Hypervolt is doing just fine. I usually need around 7 hours to fully charge mine from 30%. No Difference when temps were below 0.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭allinthehead

€1000 is saucy out.

I think the Hypervolt is the best value charge point around, best looking too. The only think that puts me off them is the lack of local suppliers.

Zappi's seem to have a high failure rate and look like the toilet training aid I used with my son. I wouldn't install one that's going to be in direct sunshine either as the screen will eventually fail.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Just to close this out, money appeared in my account on Friday. So not bad considering the Christmas period in between.

6.96kwp South facing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm getting the EO Mini Untetthered installed in a couple of weeks, I got the Flogas Black Friday deal of €999 and I applied for the grant before the cut off so €399 for a charger which is a great deal in my opinion. I probably won't be using it much because I have free charging at work but it'll be handy to have it installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

What sort of quotes should I be getting with the wiring to an isolator switch already in place on the wall? I'm going to get one of the installers out to have a look for a quote, but I'm expecting they might try to say the standard fee of around €1400 they all seem to charge will apply.

It depends, are you supplying the new charge point? Is there power already going to the Isolator? If the answer to both those questions is yes then it should be 100-150.

Your best bet is a local electrician, the larger companies use the easy installs to subsidize the more difficult ones and just default to a standard install cost.

☀️

As Liam says, try a regular electrician. I was getting silly quotes for almost identical work as you. No isolator switch in my case and I wanted one installed. €1200+.

Local electricians were too busy for a small job like that, so I just replaced the existing charger for a new one without the upgrade of the isolator switch.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Hi.

I'm looking for an untethered wall charger as a direct replacement for my temperamental 9-year old 3.6kW charger. The existing wall charger was one of the free ones that ESBN provided to the first 1000 purchasers of new EVs. A 7.2 kW would be nice but the 20A RCBO in the fuse box and 10m cabling to the wall box are dimensioned for the lower power rating, and would require an electrician to upgrade, so it'll have to be 3.6kW. I'm just looking for a cheap and cheerful solution that I can swap out myself. As I got the original box installed for free I don't qualify for any grants. I found this one online for €380:

https://evonestop.com/products/wallpod-ev-charging-unit-type-2-socket-16-32-amp3-6-7-2kw-ip65

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Great little chargers, early ones had an rcbo issue which was covered under warranty, all parts are easily replaced and available. I've probably put 600,000km's through mine.

I had the tethered one for about 5 years with domestic socket built-in. It was great, but I had to replace the RCBO twice over that period. It will get you out of a pinch, but can I make a suggestion if you might be considering changing your EV in the next couple of years....

You are limiting yourself by choosing a dumb charger like that. You could purchase a tethered, or untethered smart chargepoint and either limit it directly on the charger unit, or by software. In your case, I would suggest something like the Hypervolt which you power restrict using an internal dial to choose the max output, which in your case will be the 20A. When you upgrade the Consumer Unit RCBO to a 32A, you can then turn the dial on the charge point to allow for the higher output.

The problem is you will spend a little more now, but save yourself in the long run and have a quality charge point. Buy a type 1-2 adapter on Amazon and you will be able to use it on all modern EVs as well as the older Leaf with the adapter. Just a suggestion.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

The Rolec pod is a solid basic charger now that they've fixed the earlier RCBO problems, I'd have no issues in using one if you don't need all the bells and whistles. Very little else in them that can go wrong, just the car charge controller and a contactor, as basic as it gets and easy to fit.

If you're not in any rush and not too worried about warranty, you could wait for a used one to pop up online, very little demand for 'dumb' 16A chargers so should be priced accordingly.

Also I see a new standard EO mini for €300 (not including any haggling) on Adverts, could be an option as they have a rotary switch inside which you can set to 16A and it'll never go over that.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-cars-motorbikes-boats/ev-chargers-x2/32296802

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Thanks for that Ghost. So you suggest something like the Hypervolt tethered, (and with an adapter for my LEAF). Do you know if there's an Irish reseller who will sell the unit (or any other units) without installation? I imagine importing from the UK would create customs issues.

Thanks Buffman. That EO Mini would be an option alright. I'll see if it's still available.

I recommend it because it's a great unit and will do what you need now and after you upgrade from a 1st gen Leaf. I don't know of any Irish resellers, but getting one here is not an issue at all. Hypervolt will remove the UK VAT from the price. Just tell them its from export to ROI and ask for ex vat invoice. They send invoice with link. You pay and they ship. If you're lucky (like I was....twice) it will arrive without any vat.

The instructions for hard limiting will be inside the packaging, but as I said, this can also be done via the settings in the APP. I can link the adapter I use for my Leaf if you want to get the hypervolt.

Stay Free

Thanks again Ghost. Is it possible to simply plug in my existing Type 1 to Type 2 LEAF cable into the tethered Type 2 cable, i.e. two cables instead of cable and adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Folks I have recently purchased a PHEV, never had one before. Its a 2020 Hyundai Ioniq

I am looking in to getting a home charger. I am clueless on this, so where do I start. I have off street parking and it can be installed at the back of the home, I should qualify for the SEAI grant.

I am also in the county louth area if anyone can recommend a good installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

can you link to that adapter you have for your leaf?

also, what was the final cost of the Hypervolt in Euro with postage etc when the vat was taken off

Just on the whole tethered v untethered units.

I guess the tethered ones are a bit more expensive in general.

with the UN tethered units, can the cable be locked in? (Therefore making it tethered)

is there a general theft issue going on out there with untethered cables being stolen? (Like if I was to buy an untethered unit and simply leave the cable plugged in to the box and not lock it , would it more that likely get stolen very quickly)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Most EVs lock the cable once you plug it into the car, charge points tend not to lock

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mine locks at the CP but only when the car is connected to it, so not suitable if you're worried about it being stolen.

the Hypervolt cost me about €550 landed. Ask for the quote though, because they have a new version that’s easier to install and better than the one I have.

Stay Free

There’s minimal price delta between the two. Leaving a cable plugged into an untethered unit would just look horrible imo. The only reasons to go untethered are:

1. neatness when not charging.
    2. if you have type 1 and type 2 cars. But this can be resolved with an adapter if going tethered.

Stay Free

yeah, I had forgotten about the adapters!!! this resolves my issues then and I can just go with tethered

Do these type 2 to type 1 adapters generally work ok?

In order to avail of the EV grant

1. does it have to be a 'smart' charger?
    2. does it work if you buy one 2nd hand from a friend etc?

thanks ghost. would something like below be more practical?

seems more rigid

The adapter I linked is the same one I use on my type 2 Hypervolt charger for my type 1 Nissan Leaf. Note: if using a Hypervolt you need to disable the “random start” option from the menu in the APP.

1. yes
    2. yes

I would'nt use the rigid one because it is more likely to cause damage to the cars charge port because it will stick out more and be a lever that could result in high repair bills.

Post edited by ...Ghost... on

Stay Free

thanks!

What'sthe ‘moth’ in the first paragraph? Should it be ‘both’

last paragraph:

do you mean, ‘I would not use’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

Personally if I had both type 2 and type 1 cars I'd save myself the €100 adapter and go untethered, especially if the cars already have their own cables, which they should.

On the great untethered V tethered debate, having had both at various stages I can say there's pros and cons to either.

When I was untethered, if the cable wasn't in use charging it was behind the drivers seat on the floor for easy access, or if there were passengers or it was wet, in the boot. No real need to be messing around putting it in it's bag if you're constantly using it. Literally a few seconds to remove or plug in the cable.

On the theft risk of untethered, I think there's as much likelihood of someone stealing the entire charger, especially as they make us put in the isolation switch now which allows it to be stolen 'safely'.

Now I'm tethered, I find I'm spending a bit more time messing around with the cable so I don't leave a trip hazard for anyone else while it's not in use.

It's no contest when it comes to neatness, sometimes I do look at my friends tiny untethered EO mini that you'd barely notice and regret going tethered.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement