Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Because as much as posters on here like to protest that they just dislike what H&M have said/done (as opposed to disliking them as people) their actions speak very differently when seeing H&M doing well or receiving any kind of accolade actively sticks in their craw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

For me it doesn't stick in my craw. He spent a decade in the military and is rightfully proud of his service. I made a point a few days ago that this is his life now and given how there is an awards/charity/celebrity industry in America then he, now living in America as a celebrity building a brand, needs to attend these kind of events for exposure, networking etc. It’s all a big club and you need to sometimes hold your nose amongst all the BS to get access, access that can lead to gigs down the line. He isn't the only celebrity accepting these trumped up awards. Until Harry and Meghan got them I never heard of the NAACP, Ripple of Hope, Women of Vision, Gracies or Living Legends of Aviation awards. That I do now is entirely the point of them getting these awards i.e. let us exploit your fame for coverage and wider attention for a price we'll donate to our charity while we award you for *reasons* so you can get exposure and build your brand. Quid pro quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This is multi-billionaire country - to be honoured he would have to pay about $1 million. No one would get out of bed for $30,000.

In a room full of billionaires, you think he had to pay for the award? Do you think Angelina Jolie paid for her one?

From what I have seen, it looked like a bunch of really wealthy men having a night out - similar to a men only golf dinner. And they invite a guest speaker ....

Harry can earn about $1 million for giving an after dinner speech in the US.

• Advertisement

Actually, it was the British press* yanked him out. Said he would be a danger to others. By the way, the story was initially leaked by an Australian Royalist/women's magazine who were unaware of the embargo. The British press then decided that the embargo was over a month later when he was yanked out. I think they just wanted Harry back so that they could fill their pages with nonsense about him.

As for their popularity - Harry & Meghan were 2 and 3 (to QEII) in the popularity stakes until other royals got jealous of their popularity and decided to do a deal with the British tabloids to take them down a peg or two.

What a mistake they made.

Edit: The Taliban said they had no interest in him and the Afghan Army said they wanted him to stay as it was good for troop morale to have someone of his importance fighting alongside them.

I wasn't insulting you I was meeting your sarcasm with sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Some serious conspiracy nonsense going on inside your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Paints a very different picture to what you are portraying and the negative spin the UK tabloids are always generating. And yes, shots were fired or else that Ranger Colonel is a liar.

A rather telling contrast is that Charles served for 5 years while Harry served for a decade, saw actual combat, and was then snubbed when he asked to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph. Harry was even in the British military for longer than my father, who served for the whole duration of WW2.

Who ultimately yanked him from his second tour is unknowable, but I recall reading somewhere it was suggested it was Charles and that Harry was resentful over it.

And if you want a classic example of the negative spin directed at everything Harry says or does since he got married; he revelaed in his memoire the killing of 25 Taliban and was then decribed as a traitor:

Prince Harry 'betrayed' British Army as 'kill list' claim riles Taliban

That's 2023, but the same, now betrayed British military, revealed this mostly in 2008:

Harry's work in Afghanistan has involved calling in airstrikes on Taliban positions as well as going out on foot patrols. He spent part of his deployment at a base 500 yards from Taliban positions, the military said.

Since Harry's arrival, his battle group has been responsible for around 30 enemy deaths, a Ministry of Defense official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information.

Double standards in spades. Harry is a whipping boy and the British media are after him and Meghan in the same way they went after Diana, because he can be used in exactly the same way to stir very media profitable interest, in a way Will's can't The public can be encoraged to outrage and condemnation for H&M rennovating Frogmore cottage while Will's and Kate rennovate the whole wing of a bloody palace using public money without a murmur. Then they are shamed into paying for it all - £2.4 million - and then Charles yanks what they paid millions to improve and offers it to another sponging royal tosser, his brother Andrew, without any compensation I ever heard about. It was supposedly a wedding present from the Queen, but looks more like a RF scam. 'Nice job you have done fixing the place up, sorry, if you misunderstood what a present from mumsy entailed, I'm sure Andrew will appreciate your taste and the expense you went to on our behalf.'

• Advertisement

Do you accept that there is no factual proof that any such deal between the media and the royals to explicitly "take them down a peg or two" has ever been established?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I have often posted that it’s their behaviour I have a problem with, rather them as human beings. How about we call it “My truth” if it makes it easier to understand.

In the times before Meghan, I mostly regarded him reasonably benevolently, putting his indiscretions with Nazi uniforms, naked pool in LV, racial comments on fellow soldiers, general oafish behaviour towards his girlfriends and so on down to him being overindulged and protected by the palace PR team

Then Meghan came along. After a whirlwind romance and despite the suggestions from family and friends to slow down and not rush into anything, his infatuation got the better of him and around £30m was spent on a show business wedding. This was rapidly followed by a dabble in royal tours and a realisation by Meghan that she’d actually have to put some effort in. And the rest is history.

Hopefully, now they’re not in the RF, they can live comfortably on the celebrity circuit on California

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I don’t particularly regard his being inducted as a Living Legend of Aviation as an accolade. The $30,000 seems to have also paid for Table 115 at the hotel, judging by the photos. Not quite what Harry would be used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Is that all it costs? Can I have two please Bob.

At least two journalists on the record saying that when commissioned to write articles about the Royal Family by the British press, they were told they could write anything about Harry and Meghan, but to leave the rest alone. One of the journalists when being commissioned (and refused the commission) was told that ''she could say this about Meghan'', she responded she couldn't say that because she didn't know if it was true or not.

Try reading this. (Byline Times). https://bylinetimes.com/2023/12/09/in-plain-sight-the-picture-the-palace-probe-missed/

Really interesting is that the Palace told Harry & Meghan that their security would be cut off if they didn't withdraw the name of the Palace Official whose partner was selling stories to the press wasn't removed from court papers is still working for William (was photographed in William's entourage visiting Kate in hospital last week). Then there was William's man, Knauf, testifying against Meghan for the Daily Mail. He is still working for William.

And of course, William took the £1m payoff (without telling his brother) for the phone hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I agree it is stupid and laughable that Charles and others have those honours. That’s not the issue here though and you know it, yet I’ve not seen you speak out against harry getting a totally undeserved award.

And do you know what, we don't believe its their behaviour. You are berefect that Harry left his British subjects for a biracial American. You thought you owned him.

As for Harry's antics as a young man. You shouldn't have known anything about them in the first place. You didn't need to know what his exam results were as a kid, or what he wore to a private party. He was entitled to some privacy. I don't know of what oafish behaviour (other than what most young fellows get up to), but he did actually grow up.

And this thing about rushing into marriage with Meghan - its not as if they were both 18 year olds and were not formed adults. They were both in their mid- to late 30s and even as it was, Meghan was a geriatric mother. Why do you think they rushed into it. They are together now for 8 years with 2 beautiful children, living in a manshion in California.

As for the show business wedding. Most were guests of the RF. The costs were mainly for security for all these VIPs, European royals etc. and of course for the 1000s of British subjects who turned out to see them. Meghan paid for her own dress by the way.

Meghan and Harry did a couple of tours and were a great success, so I don't think they were 'dabbling'. What makes you say that? Meghan gave speeches and was well prepared for everything she did.

You have no wish for them to get on with their lives in California, so I don't know why you say that. You want Harry home, with his leg between his tail minus Meghan and his biracial children. You want the old, laugh a minute Harry back, don't you?

If you don't think its an accolade, why are you so uptight about it? Being at a table of 8 that 30,000 dollars is not the same as paying 30,000 to get the award. Someone may have paid 30K for a night out with 7 other people. I doubt if Prince Harry did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why would I need to speak out? Rich entitled clowns getting fake awards is not really a thing that I feel I need to speak out on.

Anyway I already addressed it.

The irony of Royalists losing their shít over a literal Prince getting a wishy washy award when their beloved family have castles full of the things.

Wow! You're insights into my thoughts border on unbelievably ridiculous - and borderline insulting. How dare you speculate about what I think, or gainsay what I post?

You are berefect that Harry left his British subjects for a biracial American. You thought you owned him.

I wasn't berefect - I wasn't even bereft. Is your ill humour getting the best of your typing skills? I couldn't give a flying fig about whether he married a biracial, or whatever colour, race or creed you care to name person. I believe that people should be with people they love and share an equal, supportive relationship. By the way, Meghan presented herself as "Caucasian", if you care to remember, on her Equity card, until it became more useful to declare herself bi-racial. I couldn't care less what she is by virtue of heredity, forebears and genetics. Also, I have never thought I owned him. What utter rubbish! Nobody "owns" anybody else.

As for Harry's antics as a young man. You shouldn't have known anything about them in the first place. You didn't need to know what his exam results were as a kid, or what he wore to a private party. He was entitled to some privacy. I don't know of what oafish behaviour (other than what most young fellows get up to), but he did actually grow up.

He was always going to be in the public eye. An ounce of common sense, of which he appears to have none by the way, would have enabled him to think twice about acting the drunken boy-about-town. In fact, thinking at all would have been a good life skill he has assiduously avoided learning thus far

As for the show business wedding. 

Apart from Doria, all the guests on Meghan's side were show business people, many of which asserted that they didn't really know them (notably George and Amal Clooney) and - as far as I can see - now almost unanimously, shunning them. Charles actually walked her down the aisle, FFS, after she shafted her father out of it.

Meghan and Harry did a couple of tours and were a great success, so I don't think they were 'dabbling'

Yes, the tours went pretty well, and they were almost literally in the "honeymoon period". But Meghan's "I can't believe I'm not getting paid for this" kinda set out her thinking very early on. Exactly what would be required of her didn't match up with her expectations of a Disney princess, perhaps

You have no wish for them to get on with their lives in California, so I don't know why you say that. You want Harry home, with his leg between his tail minus Meghan and his biracial children. You want the old, laugh a minute Harry back, don't you?

You're being Mystic Meg again; you don't know what I think. In fact, you couldn't be more wrong. I wish him happiness in the path he has taken with the woman he's chosen and with whom he shares two children. And I have no desire whatsoever to see him back in the UK, let alone the Royal Family, after the amount of bile and spite he has published. Of recent times, his behaviour has been beyond the pale.

Finally, if he or someone else wants to pay money for Table 115, let them at it. Bon appétit

• Advertisement

The dragon slayer dropped his libel case. He had three options really.

1. Seek a settlement with the Mail. Unlikely since they had a strong case according to the Judge. Translation: You will lose Harry.

2. Go through with the case his lawyers knew he was going to lose and along with discovery, and questioning risk having his credibility exposed as doing exactly what the Mail had claimed i.e. that he was spinning, manipulating the public. Like what happened with Meghan and unfortunate memory lapse in another ANL case.

3. Completely avoid that risk and withdraw the case at a cost of a reputed million dollars and sully his dragon slaying grandiosity.

Despite withdrawing his claim, the Duke maintains that the Mail on Sunday’s assertion that he had only offered to cover the cost of his security after launching judicial review proceedings was “false”.

If that is the case then why didn't the dragon slayer continue his mission and go with option 2? 🤔

Oh because Mr Anti-Misinformation was misleading the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Here's an article in the Mirror, based on a piece by Esther Krakue. It's probably just a puff piece but it might also be the start of a strategy by Meghan to blame Harry, which I base on the paragraphs:

"One of the advantages that Kate had was that she was with William for almost a decade before they got married and she assumed the roles she had. Harry effectively shoehorned Meghan into the institution.

"And it wasn't a matter of him marrying her and they were creating a life together. He married her with the intention of also having her as a working royal. He could have married her and stepped back, but he didn't.

I'm just glad I was born a commoner (or is it servant?) - just to confirm that's a rhetorical question, there's no need to get the postcards out, thank you!!

That link also claims that Meghan may be writing her own book/memoir for release in 2025. Funnily enough, on the blaming Harry theme, a thought crossed my mind when I heard that Meghan wouldn’t be at the Aviation Award show when the reason given was that one of the kids was ill. Of any litany of plausible excuses then I thought that seemed oddly specific. It reminded me of the story from ’91 of William getting hit with a golf club and having to stay overnight at hospital.

Diana stayed with him overnight while Charles visited and, seeing that it was just stitches and William was fine, then went to the Opera as originally planned that evening. Diana was friends with some editors and, hey presto, Charles got lambasted by the press. They were separated a year later.

If, and I’m speculating here, H&M did themselves separate then it wouldn’t surprise me if this latest news made it into a money spinning memoir i.e. The only title important to me is Mom and I stayed home to mind our ill child while he thought it was more important to go and collect an award for himself. Like father, like son.

Of course their child may well have been sick and Meghan wanted to stay with them. It does get you thinking cynically and throwing Harry under the bus by blaming him for fast tracking Meghan into what he well knew was a Lions Den of protocol and press scrutiny would be a tempting narrative for a memoir.

Meghan : Her True Story.

$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Leonita

I think that her memoir will be written after the divorce. She will describe how easy he was to manipulate and will probably be sneering at him.

I'm sure Meghan could have declined a title and opted out of being a working royal. She would have had to support herself though.

She thought it was all glamour, that people in impoverished areas would ask her how she was and that she'd get paid for walkabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

seems to me that Meghan wanted the perks of mingling with world leaders at state banquets etc but none of the drudge work of cutting ribbons at a new community centre and talking to the hoi polloi. You'd think Harry would have let her know exactly what being a royal entailed. Or maybe he did and she still thought she could breeze in and "modernise" the institution anyway.

I'd say her intention from the off was the half in/half out option. She didn't get her way and is now bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭backwards_man

I'd say there is an element of truth to that. i think Harry was so taken with Meghan that he did shoehorn her into royal life without considering if she would stay the course. It is an odd life for sure and you need to row in or get out. The vast majority of people would baulk at that commitment for life, unless you saw it as a stepping stone to fame which is what I think Meghan saw it as. Harry didnt realise this and thought she was genuinly going to stick it out. IMO of course. He wanted what William had, stability and a life partner, and thought he could replicate that. I do honestly think that if they had just gone go live in Botswana, where he had a real connection away from the money making and spotlight, they could have made a real difference to how poeple view the commonwealth and the monarchy. Ironically it would have made them both popular for all the right reasons. But they didnt.

Advertisement